Visy Park – Sunday 5 April 2009 11.30 am

FB Ezard Lawton Fahey

HB Prestia Talia Long

C McLeod Thompson Hine

HF Carlisle Mitchell Guthrie

FF Duhau Temel Melksham
Foll Daniher Lucin McCallum
I/CGarvey-Hawke Toy Hicks Watson Fewster Liberatore Wallis Corbett White Davies

Just curious, before the season starts, what are the chances of Russel Lehman from Gippy getting drafted at years end?

application, application, application.

that's the key word for Russ this year. Got bucketloads of talent but not sure if he wants it as bad as others do. No doubt he's a great footballer, but yeah the ball is definitely in his court this year (particularly with the fact that Gippy should do pretty well meaning he'll get plenty more exposure)

Weston named but there is no way he's 100%

Having been through the system myself years back, I can guarantee you that the first thing on each players mind is being drafted. The most importnant thing to them is developing enough that an AFL club has an interest in them. Team success comes a distant second.

Yes and no.

In each TAC team there are always a percentage of bottom age agers which are ineligible who should be concentrating on the team role.

By about a third of the way through the season those top agers who have missed either Vic Metro or Country at that stage, or a bit later by not having a Draft Camp or even a State Screening invite, or no contact from the clubs pretty well know that the draft isn't going to happen.

On a personal level a lot of these kids know that TAC is the highest level they will ever play and coupled with the ineligible bottom agers should translate into them all totally focusing on the team.

There has to be some sort of competition, as how else are the AFL clubs going to judge these kids.

The national champs, draft camps and state screenings are all about competition between players.

What is most important is the TAC Clubs to develope and represent these kids, work on them from all sorts angles, and be prepared to be patient.

The kids need to be reminded that there's nothing wrong with being a great young clubman who never gets put on an AFL list.

Having been through the system myself years back, I can guarantee you that the first thing on each players mind is being drafted. The most importnant thing to them is developing enough that an AFL club has an interest in them. Team success comes a distant second.

Yes its all about devlopment.
Top agers in some instantances have been developing in the TAC system for 3 years now.
Some bottom agers had a taste last year and developed their games for 2 pre seasons now.
They all want to be drafted and just maybe if the groups development is further progressed than others, they will probably win some games.
If they win enough they might just play some finals, maybe a grand final.
In the end 2-3 will be picked up by some afl clubs who believe they could develop them into footballers.
Some tac players may be considered too developed and overlooked.
In the end the vast majority want to personally play well and win.
Family, education, football in that order - i thinks thats what they preach.

Don't know any resuts or best players yet, but Tim Northe from Gippy is an up and coming young player, definately one to keep an eye on.

jets got home against nsw who put up a good fight tho jets kicking let them down should have won by a bit more imo good game of footy to watch

2009 TAC Cup
Bendigo Pioneers 1.1 2.7 7.8 10.9 (69)
Geelong Falcons 5.7 7.8 12.10 17.14 (116)

GOALS:
Bendigo Pioneers: Eagle 2 Martin 2 Reid Dennis Dole Ellis Prockter Gilmore
Geelong Falcons: Semmens 3 Bright 3 Dare 2 Thompson 2 Hollmer Hussey Grabowski Ledin Flanagan McMillan-Pittard Rock

BEST:
Bendigo Pioneers: Martin Geary Keeble Smith Dennis Anderson
Geelong Falcons: Christensen Ledin Hussey Bright Cunnington McMillan-Pittard

2009 TAC Cup
Gippsland Power 2.0 4.3 10.5 13.8 (86)
Dandenong Stingrays 6.5 8.7 14.10 16.11 (107)

GOALS:
Gippsland Power: Butcher 5 Pincott 3 Vardy 2 Carr Northe Golby
Dandenong Stingrays: Pitt 5 McInnes 2 Petropoulos 2 Stringer-Morris 2 Parker Clifford Bastinac Roberton Hallahan

BEST:
Gippsland Power: Vardy Butcher Stevens Pincott Dowse Heppell
Dandenong Stingrays: Scully Pitt Hallahan Mitchell Baumgartner Andrews

2009 TAC Cup
Murray Bushrangers
7.3 8.6 11.9 17.11 (113)
North Ballarat Rebels 1.2 2.3 6.6 8.8 (56)

GOALS:
Murray Bushrangers: Loraine 2 Myors 2 Norris 2 McNeil 2 Keath 2 Hamilton Mangan Sargeant Priest Duryea Miles Pianto
North Ballarat Rebels: Darmody 3 Suban 2 Hooper Grigg Lyle

BEST:
Murray Bushrangers: Atley McNeil Norris Pryde Keath Segrave
North Ballarat Rebels: Cowan Hoy Darmody Gavin Hooper Free

2009 TAC Cup
Western Jets 1.4 5.11 9.16 12.19 (91)
NSW ACT Rams 3.6 5.7 7.7 10.8 (68)

GOALS:
Western Jets: Halloran 3 Fitzpatrick 2 Gray 2 Aloi 2 Lawson Conway Ball
NSW ACT Rams: Duncan 3 Stubbs 3 Stevens 2 Kirkwood Johns

BEST:
Western Jets: Conway Gray Halloran Hartigan Ball Aloi
NSW ACT Rams: Stubbs Young Kirkwood Alexander Riley Olsson

geelong falcons
coach: Garry hocking
2008 position: 5th (12-7)
2008 draftees: Ayce cordy, luke rounds, ben bucovaz, jordan jones.
Callum bartlett – outside midfielder with plenty of pace and fine foot skills. Can push forward and kick a goal.
Allen christensen – prolific ball winner in the midfield. Good inside player who wins his own ball. Although only small, he is a natural footballer.
Tom mackenzie – athletic key position player who can play at either end. Reads the play well but needs to improve on his kicking.

callum bartlett out for the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2009 TAC Cup
2009 TAC Cup
Western Jets 1.4 5.11 9.16 12.19 (91)
NSW ACT Rams 3.6 5.7 7.7 10.8 (68)

GOALS:
Western Jets: Halloran 3 Fitzpatrick 2 Gray 2 Aloi 2 Lawson Conway Ball
NSW ACT Rams: Duncan 3 Stubbs 3 Stevens 2 Kirkwood Johns

BEST:
Western Jets: Conway Gray Halloran Hartigan Ball Aloi
NSW ACT Rams: Stubbs Young Kirkwood Alexander Riley Olsson

Bachar, Did you get to the Jets game today? If so interested in your thoughts who were the better players. I was there and thought BOG was the Redhead #40 Thomas Young for the RAMS. Conway impressive and good to see Jack Grays best game for the Jets. Also thought DAW is improving each week in the ruck , good leap and gets his hand on the ball alot and gave the Jets the first go at the ball at the stoppages. I thought the 1st quarter was going to be similar to the Jets last practice game where players were being played out of position. O'Halloran and other forwards didn't seem to know how to play forward and the delivery into the forwards was haphazard. Meaanwhile Fitzpatrick, the jets best forward in 2009 was struggling in the backline and was dragged at quarter time. As the game went on the Jets improved their structure, Fitpatrick back to the forward line and was a good lead up forward leaving O'Halloran one out and often too strong for his oponents. O'Halloran took some terrific grabs and kicked a couple of timely goals. In the last quarter when it counted, Lawson was also good at the fall of the ball in the forward thrusts and was pretty lively with several shots on goal. Rayner was good - plenty of hard ball gets and probably 15+ handballs but lacked a bit of run and penetration today. Hardigan serviceable in the backline but on the whole I thought the Jets backline were beaten on the day. Schibeci provided some run out of the backline. The Jets are a long way from being a cohesive unit but there were some better signs today, particularly when the Jets got their structure right. BTW I've gotta say Im not a fan of the double huddle. What's going on there? The Rams have a number of good players and will definitely win a few TAC games this year. The recruiters in attendance today, probably to see the NSW boys first hand, would have went away with a few RAMS names on their clipboard with Young topping the list.

Bachar, Did you get to the Jets game today? If so interested in your thoughts who were the better players. I was there and thought BOG was the Redhead #40 Thomas Young for the RAMS. Conway impressive and good to see Jack Grays best game for the Jets. Also thought DAW is improving each week in the ruck , good leap and gets his hand on the ball alot and gave the Jets the first go at the ball at the stoppages. I thought the 1st quarter was going to be similar to the Jets last practice game where players were being played out of position. O'Halloran and other forwards didn't seem to know how to play forward and the delivery into the forwards was haphazard. Meaanwhile Fitzpatrick, the jets best forward in 2009 was struggling in the backline and was dragged at quarter time. As the game went on the Jets improved their structure, Fitpatrick back to the forward line and was a good lead up forward leaving O'Halloran one out and often too strong for his oponents. O'Halloran took some terrific grabs and kicked a couple of timely goals. In the last quarter when it counted, Lawson was also good at the fall of the ball in the forward thrusts and was pretty lively with several shots on goal. Rayner was good - plenty of hard ball gets and probably 15+ handballs but lacked a bit of run and penetration today. Hardigan serviceable in the backline but on the whole I thought the Jets backline were beaten on the day. Schibeci provided some run out of the backline. The Jets are a long way from being a cohesive unit but there were some better signs today, particularly when the Jets got their structure right. BTW I've gotta say Im not a fan of the double huddle. What's going on there? The Rams have a number of good players and will definitely win a few TAC games this year. The recruiters in attendance today, probably to see the NSW boys first hand, would have went away with a few RAMS names on their clipboard with Young topping the list.
First time I have seen the Jets and I will use numbers. (Young bloke plays for the RAMS)
#4 was very very good, great balance, used the ball really well, brought his team mates into the game.
#17 works forward of the ball but very good kick, really good link player.
#13 really hard at it and took some good marks.
#21 started in the backline and looked completely out of place. I could tell this after he was moved to the forwardline and he just knew where and when to lead. Probably didn't have big stats but was a presence.
#31 Big boy who was another to have a huge presence in the forward line, either marked it or brought to the advantage of his smaller forwards.
#14 great run and carry and link player, used it very well.
As for the RAMS boys
Young #40 is already tied to the Magpies via a scholarship, but was a very good player.
Stubbs #21 good above his head and ran well.
Both these boys are underage.
Rams would have been a bit disappointed with the result but fairly happy with how most of the game went, moved the ball quickly by hand and the more games they game the better they will get as a team.

Just rounding out todays games...

Gold Coast 2.3 5.6 6.8 9.10 (64)
Eastern Ranges 7.2 11.3 12.6 16.6 (102)

GOALS:
Gold Coast: Lock 3 Stanlake 2 Shreeve 2 Thompson Daye
Eastern Ranges: McDonald 5 Wilson 2 Johns 2 Scott 2 Kennedy Young Harper Griffiths Moore

BEST:
Gold Coast: Smith Shreeve Susuve Lock Crawford Ramage
Eastern Ranges: Mullett Gysberts McDonald Scott Crowle Moore

Gold Coast kicked two of the first three goals, Eastern kicked the next 6 or 8 and held a lead of close to 40 points midway through the second term before GC kicked a couple of late ones before half time. The heavens opened at half time, a torrential downpour during the third term meant goals were at a premium in the second half. Eastern effectively had a match winning lead at 33 pts at the main change.

Lots of cramping going on, humidity high with a heavy track meant a lot of young fellas will be feeling their legs for a day or two.

Even though he was in the losing side GC ruckman Zac Smith far and away the best player on the ground.

Agreed footyman. Was at the game and Zac Smith was exceptionly good for the Gold Coast. Won just about every ruck contest and competed very hard for the ball. Even for a taller man, had better disposal than more than half the players on the field last night.

Susuve was another standout for the Coast. From PNG, I believe and has very good hands in close, good in traffic and exceptionly quick. Could really be a good player.

For the ranges. McDonald was just far to big for James Nelis, who IIRC is only 16. He played well though. What are his chances of getting drafted atm? Didn't have the team lists of Eastern Ranges but thought No.14 and No.17 played good games.

As for the RAMS boys
Young #40 is already tied to the Magpies via a scholarship, but was a very good player.
Stubbs #21 good above his head and ran well.
Both these boys are underage.
Rams would have been a bit disappointed with the result but fairly happy with how most of the game went, moved the ball quickly by hand and the more games they game the better they will get as a team.

Where to now for the rams?
I reckon they can walk away feeling pretty positive about yesterday's game.
Showed a good ability to link up and run and they have a couple of genuine stars.
Few returning players from Murray and Bendigo too, that should hold them in good staed for the national champs.
Thought the game was played in a pretty good spirit as well :thumbsu:

Where to now for the rams?
I reckon they can walk away feeling pretty positive about yesterday's game.
Showed a good ability to link up and run and they have a couple of genuine stars.
Few returning players from Murray and Bendigo too, that should hold them in good staed for the national champs.
Thought the game was played in a pretty good spirit as well :thumbsu:
They play the Cannons next sunday at Vic park. Then Oakleigh on May 3.
Then the National Champs are over a fair time span with 2 of the games in Sydney.
There is 5 or 6 from the Bushies, which will strenghten the line up.
I agree with you that the game was played in good spirit, pretty hard at times but all within the rules.
Who were your "Genuine stars" Bachar?

I was there, and agree with your post...pretty accurate summary of the game. Thought Ram Tom Young was the standout and BOG for the day, just so big and talented for a youngster.
As for the jets i thought Conway, Aloi and Gray were the instrumental players. All provided dash, broke lines, got back to help out and pushed forward to kick goals.
Also agree that the Jets looked a bit of a mess early on. Think Fitzpatrick is very important to the forward structure which didn't hit it straps until he was changed from full back.
Thereafter it looked most potent when him, Ball and Halloran were three roatating big men, and the likes of Fortune and Lawson were at their feet. Yep, the double huddle didn't seem to be too effective and i reckon can only be described as a 'work in progress'.
Majak Daw will continue to turn heads this season, got a lot of Nick Natainui about him!
Thought in all a pretty rusty start to the season for the jets but definately fired as the game progressed and sensible structures prevailed.

They play the Cannons next sunday at Vic park. Then Oakleigh on May 3.
Then the National Champs are over a fair time span with 2 of the games in Sydney.
There is 5 or 6 from the Bushies, which will strenghten the line up.
I agree with you that the game was played in good spirit, pretty hard at times but all within the rules.
Who were your "Genuine stars" Bachar?

Like you i'll have to use numbers...
Obviously much has been said about Tom Young (40), thought he was BOG. 38, 3, 21 and 17 were also very good.
41, 23 and 33 were pretty solid down back.

anyone know which dowse is playing for gippy power?

Mitch, great to see him in the best as well:thumbsu:

Scully had about 40 possessions yesterday against Power:eek:

I had a feeling Dandy might get up and i nearly tipped them, but oh well. apparently the stingrays jumped out of the blocks kicking 4 in the first few minutes and gippy were playing catch up all day.. Butcher kicked 5.1 from his only 6 kicks for the day:p.. good to see Stevens in the best:thumbsu: Vardy dominated in the ruck from all reports..

Mitch, great to see him in the best as well:thumbsu:

Scully had about 40 possessions yesterday against Power:eek:

I had a feeling Dandy might get up and i nearly tipped them, but oh well. apparently the stingrays jumped out of the blocks kicking 4 in the first few minutes and gippy were playing catch up all day.. Butcher kicked 5.1 from his only 6 kicks for the day:p.. good to see Stevens in the best:thumbsu: Vardy dominated in the ruck from all reports..

Did any one see the match and have any reports on the game the 2 teams bound to be powerhouses this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back