What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the difference in these games KA. Gisborne generally like to try out some youth.

Practice match results arent as important to some as they are to others.
I reckon Serge would almost give up the points in round 1 for a win against Gisborne next week.

Who will you be cheering for KA?

Which Sunbury side will Greenman be in charge of ?

Don't worry BB I know you would like Gis to win. This is nearly as big as 4 points - crowd numbers will dictate that.

Would like Gis to win and Mark to coach well.

I think Sunbury are setting up like Collinwood in the pre-season with Power stepping aside to let his assitant coach the game. Can you confirm Greenman?

Tigers' player crisis

20/03/2009 8:47:00 AM Bendigo Advertiser

KYNETON president Travis Law remains optimistic the Tigers will field both senior and reserves teams in the opening round of the Bendigo Bank Bendigo Football League season, despite the club having just 32 signed players.

The Tigers are suffering a severe shortage of players, with their round one game against Gisborne on April 11 just 22 days away.

While the Tigers have just 32 players signed for their senior and reserves sides, 44 players took part in an intra-club match on Tuesday night.
“There were a few new faces there, and a few who have just finished cricket who turned up, but we know it’s going to be a struggle,” Law said yesterday. “We hope to be confident enough to be able to field two sides (seniors and reserves from round one).

“We’ve spoken to Steven Oliver (Central Victorian Football chief executive officer) about perhaps using permits for the first few games. And we also believe that if there’s blokes at other clubs who are training but aren’t getting a game, after a while they will go anywhere to have a kick.

“We’ve got 32 players signed at the moment for the two senior sides, so we probably need another 18.” As for the under-18s, the side has 18 players registered. “We have got four players at the Bendigo Pioneers in Shane Page, Rhys Ellis, Ben Saliba and Hayden Smith, who will obviously come back and play seniors at times,” Law said. ”

The other thing that has probably hurt us is Jack Redpath and Will Gunter, who have come out of the under-18s, have gone to the Bendigo Bombers, along with Ben Thaw.” The BFL has been in regular contact with the Tigers during the pre-season, including meeting with the club last Sunday.
“The player situation at Kyneton is certainly better than it was two weeks ago,” Oliver said. “As that momentum starts to build, we will be confident that the work being done at Kyneton will lead to them fielding two senior sides come round one.”

Asked what assistance the BFL could offer the Tigers to ensure they field a full quota of teams each week, Oliver answered: “In this instance it all boils down to player numbers. “It’s something the club needs to manage, but what we have tried to help them out with is identifying some of the areas from outsiders looking into the club that may need addressing.
“If we need to look at the rescheduling of games to allow them to look at playing players on permits we would consider it in conjunction with the opposition clubs at that time.

“We will certainly look to do whatever we can to assist them.”

While Kyneton is struggling for playing numbers, off-field Law, who has taken over from Jeff Thaw as president, says the club is in a strong position. “We’ve got a younger committee in place, the new extensions at the ground that have been in the works for two years are close to starting and we’ve signed Lee Picioane as an assistant coach,” Law said.
Picioane, who was one of Keilor’s best players in its Essendon District Football League premiership side last year, is the brother of former AFL player Lance Picioane.

The Tigers are still holding out some hope that Lance may join his brother at the Kyneton Showgrounds this year. “Lee is still working on him, but Lance is just going to see how his body goes,” Law said.

Kyneton, which finished on the bottom of the ladder last year with one win, will be coached by the experienced Paul Houston, who coached Avondale Heights in the EDFL last season.

“We know it’s going to be a hard year,” Law said. “So we will do our best to get through and then hope we can get all our kids back next year. “If you’re a country club and you’re going to have success, you need to have your 14 or 15 local blokes playing and a few topping it up."
Credit where credit is due for this article in the Addy. I think it gives a pretty clear picture where Kyneton is at and while they are struggling I don't think it is all gloom and doom. Apart from the 'big four' I don't see why they couldn't beat anyone else at home and perhaps a few away. Watch supporters come out of the woodwork when a team starts to have a few wins.

Having good thirds players go off to the Pioneers and the Bombers I think is totally frustrating - rips the heart out of a club.

Don't worry BB I know you would like Gis to win. This is nearly as big as 4 points - crowd numbers will dictate that.

Would like Gis to win and Mark to coach well.

I think Sunbury are setting up like Collinwood in the pre-season with Power stepping aside to let his assitant coach the game. Can you confirm Greenman?
Greenman can confirm that Serge will coach, he is the boss. Greenman will doing what he does best.....drink cans and eat pies during the game. Hope for the sake of both clubs that a big crowd turns up......should be huge with Super rules playing before the senior game.......four games of quality football with a huge history between the 2 clubs. BB..where will you be hiding??? If we look over at the Gisborne coaching box will we see you? Its your shout BB...cold cans for all.....put your short arm in your long pocket.......hunt deep for your wallett..............spray it with Mortein to kill the moths and buy Greenman and Kings Army a can after the game.

Credit where credit is due for this article in the Addy. I think it gives a pretty clear picture where Kyneton is at and while they are struggling I don't think it is all gloom and doom. Apart from the 'big four' I don't see why they couldn't beat anyone else at home and perhaps a few away. Watch supporters come out of the woodwork when a team starts to have a few wins.

Having good thirds players go off to the Pioneers and the Bombers I think is totally frustrating - rips the heart out of a club.

Winless - unless the new team is terrible.

so kyneton survive on a list of 32 players, that will be interesting , obviously the reserves sides will be dragged out of the pub on a saturday morning
I am the president of the Kyneton footy club. Ox Law dirk with all your replys i was wondering what you do on a Saturdays. I would be keen to talk to you as that would get our numbers up to 33 and your knowledge would be able to solve all our problems.
Dirk if we move to the RDFL we still only got 33 when you sign. The problem may have been bubbling for a few years but we are now at rock bottom and can only go up. We are under no misunderstanding of where we are and where we want to go. That is be competitive in a good standard BFL we also know we are the side that has been hold back crowds for other sides. we are trying hard to make us be competitive.
We have not held this back from anyone we have talked to as you would know with the internet it s easy to find out anything you want about a club or player. We are trying to set a club up that our junior players and parents respect and we want them to be tigers when there time comes. We want respect from other clubs in the league which we will try and work on over coming years. we want respect from within the club and commuinity.
Dirk i agree there is alot of work to be done but we cant solve everything in a few minutes.
Any players looking for a game can private message me and i will get in contact with you. Dirk if you want a chat PM me and i will talk to you or pop down to training and see me.
Thank You

Dirk if we move to the RDFL we still only got 33 when you sign. The problem may have been bubbling for a few years but we are now at rock bottom and can only go up.
Ox we probably have less than 33 if we move to the Riddell league because blokes looking to play at a higher standard will move elsewhere.
Kyneton belongs in the Bendigo league and as others have already posted the Bendigo league needs their country clubs.

I am the president of the Kyneton footy club. Ox Law dirk with all your replys i was wondering what you do on a Saturdays. I would be keen to talk to you as that would get our numbers up to 33 and your knowledge would be able to solve all our problems.
Dirk if we move to the RDFL we still only got 33 when you sign. The problem may have been bubbling for a few years but we are now at rock bottom and can only go up. We are under no misunderstanding of where we are and where we want to go. That is be competitive in a good standard BFL we also know we are the side that has been hold back crowds for other sides. we are trying hard to make us be competitive.
We have not held this back from anyone we have talked to as you would know with the internet it s easy to find out anything you want about a club or player. We are trying to set a club up that our junior players and parents respect and we want them to be tigers when there time comes. We want respect from other clubs in the league which we will try and work on over coming years. we want respect from within the club and commuinity.
Dirk i agree there is alot of work to be done but we cant solve everything in a few minutes.
Any players looking for a game can private message me and i will get in contact with you. Dirk if you want a chat PM me and i will talk to you or pop down to training and see me.
Thank You
Travis, sorry to hear that Kyneton has become the first club in the history of country footy to struggle with numbers because most clubs are complaining about having too many players. Your on the right track getting Dirk involved because he appears to have unlimted knowledge and a real positive attitude.

Good Luck

That is total rubbish, the players want to play with the pioneers or the bombers; no one rips the heart out of the clubs, the clubs need to work hard to make sure the players come back!! Individuals have a choice where they play!!

Latest from the jungle drums young Dustin Martin - (Castlemaine) is playing for the Borough - I did hear that one in the Queens Arms so the drums may be because of the happy hour. Big pick up if true can anyone confirm??:confused:

gizzy are playing melton this sunday, march 22 at the graveyard. be good to finally see ty and the lads. they look sharp at training, great to see also the club has rick hartley coaching the magoos. and gizzy will never run out of beer

That is total rubbish, the players want to play with the pioneers or the bombers; no one rips the heart out of the clubs, the clubs need to work hard to make sure the players come back!! Individuals have a choice where they play!!

Latest from the jungle drums young Dustin Martin - (Castlemaine) is playing for the Borough - I did hear that one in the Queens Arms so the drums may be because of the happy hour. Big pick up if true can anyone confirm??:confused:
No mate is is not total rubbish. Players go to the Pioneers or the Bombers because if they want to play in the AFL THEY SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE.

I am glad I had the opportunity to watch the likes of Southby, Mulcair, Keogh, R Byrne, Walsh, K Higgins, Ashman and many others play with senior BFL teams in the 1970's before going off to the then VFL. These players created great interest and club supporters loved them.

Of all the Selwoods I think only one player senior football with Sandhurst before going on to the AFL. If that is not ripping the heart of of a club I don't know what is. How in the hell are Sandhurst going to 'work hard to get these players back'?

Picioane a Tiger
21/03/2009 4:00:00 AM Bendigo Addy
KYNETON has received a significant boost on the eve of the Bendigo Bank Bendigo Football League season with confirmation Lance Picioane has signed as an assistant coach.
Picioane put pen to paper with the Tigers this week in a coup that has created an enormous buzz around the Kyneton Showgrounds.

The 28-year-old, who played 77 AFL games for Adelaide, North Melbourne and Hawthorn between 1998 and 2005, played with Essendon District Football League premiers Keilor last year.

The signing of Picioane comes two weeks after Kyneton secured his brother, Lee, who will also be an assistant coach.

“They have both signed on as assistant coaches to me, so it’s great for the club,” Kyneton coach Paul Houston said yesterday.

“We had been struggling for numbers big-time during the pre-season, but the moment the club announced they had signed, we got 40 at training on Tuesday night, which is the most we’ve had.

“I’m not sure what role Lance will play for us yet.

“Obviously, if we put him in the middle he is going to be tagged, but if we put him off a half-back flank he may have a little more freedom. We will utilise him the best for the team.”

KYNETON has received a significant boost on the eve of the Bendigo Bank Bendigo Football League season with confirmation Lance Picioane has signed as an assistant coach. Kyneton coach Paul Houston said yesterday, “We had been struggling for numbers big-time during the pre-season, but the moment the club announced they had signed, we got 40 at training on Tuesday night, which is the most we’ve had.”

Hallelujah!!! Always darkest before the dawn. Well done to the Tigers for signing the 2 Picioane's...

great news for the tigers. we wish them all the best. they now have some ex AFL experience to pass on to the local talent. lets hope they get inundated with potential players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picioane a Tiger
21/03/2009 4:00:00 AM Bendigo Addy

The signing of Picioane comes two weeks after Kyneton secured his brother, Lee
Great work from Paul and the Fatman. Not only for signing two significant players but to silence some of the knockers who seem hellbent on bringing down the Tigers.

Thank You
I think it is just great to get the comments of the Kyneton President on this site - well done! We can all see the direction this club is going and I for one think there is a light at the end of the tunnel for the tigers.

I would encourage other BFNL presidents to make similar contributions as their comments are of great interest to supporters.

gizzy win today against melton. maybe 5 or six goal win, no one was counting. only a praccy match. a few missing because of cricket grannies. this sunday we play sunbury (29th). that will give us a better idea of where we are. the three new boys did ok with potter doing very well up forward.

I think it is just great to get the comments of the Kyneton President on this site - well done! We can all see the direction this club is going and I for one think there is a light at the end of the tunnel for the tigers.

I would encourage other BFNL presidents to make similar contributions as their comments are of great interest to supporters.

The Tigers will do well under the stewardship of the Ox - god knows the great man has been telling me for years what is wrong with the club, so I have absolutely no doubt he will provide the answers. :p

Nah, he'll do very well, the challenge is this - I used to be a local 10 years ago and had/still have a real passion for the club but the demographic has changed much in that time.

By that I mean not only people moving in and out of the town but also the demographics of sports, ie. kids playing soccer, basketball, etc.

I was talking to the Ox last night over a few knowledgible beers, and rather than trying to fight that, he wants to embrace other sporting entities, and indeed other footy clubs in the region so that they can work in together and make the community and everyone stronger. (I hope I aren't talking out of school here mate)

That thinking and attitude will only broaden the appeal of the club to the community and return it to it's rightful place as a pillar.

Can any Bendigo based club claim that, indeed, apart from probably Gisborne, can any other country club claim to be a pillar of their community?

As an aside, I see King's Army is still posting absolute shit - why are North supporters such tortured souls?

The Tigers will do well under the stewardship of the Ox - god knows the great man has been telling me for years what is wrong with the club, so I have absolutely no doubt he will provide the answers. :p

Nah, he'll do very well, the challenge is this - I used to be a local 10 years ago and had/still have a real passion for the club but the demographic has changed much in that time.

By that I mean not only people moving in and out of the town but also the demographics of sports, ie. kids playing soccer, basketball, etc.

I was talking to the Ox last night over a few knowledgible beers, and rather than trying to fight that, he wants to embrace other sporting entities, and indeed other footy clubs in the region so that they can work in together and make the community and everyone stronger. (I hope I aren't talking out of school here mate)

That thinking and attitude will only broaden the appeal of the club to the community and return it to it's rightful place as a pillar.

Can any Bendigo based club claim that, indeed, apart from probably Gisborne, can any other country club claim to be a pillar of their community?

As an aside, I see King's Army is still posting absolute shit - why are North supporters such tortured souls?

Not tortured - I have the 90's to reflect on for the Roos and Gis in the 00's so all is well. As for the two Tigers signings I have changed from winless to 2 wins with the new side being terrible. Maybe you can go out on a limb and make a prediction on how many wins Kyneton will have and maybe a ladder? Or you happy to sit back and tell people they post shit without going out on a limb yourself?

Not tortured - I have the 90's to reflect on for the Roos and Gis in the 00's so all is well. As for the two Tigers signings I have changed from winless to 2 wins with the new side being terrible. Maybe you can go out on a limb and make a prediction on how many wins Kyneton will have and maybe a ladder? Or you happy to sit back and tell people they post shit without going out on a limb yourself?

What's the point in that numnuts?

Does it prove who's a better footy tipper or something?

Why Kyneton should stay in the BFNL.

If we look at the Ballarat League as an example, Sunbury, Melton, Melton South, Darley & Bacchas Marsh have all come into this league in recent decades replacing the likes of Dalesford, Beaufort etc. These new teams are all in the growth area corridor between Melbourne and Ballarat. The Ballarat League is a much stronger competition for their arrival - you don't see any of these teams sitting on the bottom of the ladder. Teams like Golden Point and East Ballarat merged to remain competitive.

The BFNL recruited one similar team being Gisborne. This teams record speaks for itself. With the freeway between Melbourne and Bendigo I think it is only a matter of time before Kyneton becomes another growth area as outer Melbourne just continues to expand. Signings such as the Picioanne brothers will become more common and the club will be a valuable (competitive) member of the BFNL.

Changing the topic, does anyone have practice match results. I think South were playing Echuca - that should have been an interesting game.

Doc, how did the dragons go?

What's the point in that numnuts?

Does it prove who's a better footy tipper or something?

No - you sit back and pot people but don't give us your own opinion. If you are too weak to put your own thoughts on here you should refrain from having a go at people that do. How many wins for Kyneton? If your that much of a coward to put a number down that is fine. I am sticking with 2.

Changing the topic, does anyone have practice match results. I think South were playing Echuca - that should have been an interesting game.

Doc, how did the dragons go?

Pretty sure square had a very convincing win against North Shore, as for the actual score i dont know, was having a chat to Addo on Saturday night and he said all new recruits played very well.

Pretty sure square had a very convincing win against North Shore, as for the actual score i dont know, was having a chat to Addo on Saturday night and he said all new recruits played very well.

Sth Bendigo defeated Echuca by 11 points-hit the front late and kicked a goal after the siren. it was a good hit out for both sides

Was at the game between Square and North Shore. Square won by 100 points on the dot. 136-36. Very very dominant performance by the boys.

No mate is is not total rubbish. Players go to the Pioneers or the Bombers because if they want to play in the AFL THEY SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE.

I am glad I had the opportunity to watch the likes of Southby, Mulcair, Keogh, R Byrne, Walsh, K Higgins, Ashman and many others play with senior BFL teams in the 1970's before going off to the then VFL. These players created great interest and club supporters loved them.

Of all the Selwoods I think only one player senior football with Sandhurst before going on to the AFL. If that is not ripping the heart of of a club I don't know what is. How in the hell are Sandhurst going to 'work hard to get these players back'?

What in heavens name are you going on about??? The 70's were nearly 40 years ago!! The days of players coming out of the BFL straight to an AFL side are long gone, whether we like it or not.

Not every player who plays pioneers or Bombers get drafted, it is less than 2%; where do the other players end up, just quickly from last year.

Brodie Filo at Eaglehawk, Lee Coghlan at Sandhurst, Luke Said at Kyneton, Jack Bowyer at Kangaroo flat and then look at the Bombers players who filter back after 1-2 years, Meade, Ford, Connaughton, Geary, Jon Coghlan, Pilcher etc etc.

It is easy to say they rip the hearts out of clubs, but it is the good clubs that welcome them back that become stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back