Would you support a breakaway league?

Remove this Banner Ad

kaysee

Rising From The Ashes
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Jul 30, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Extremely unlikely this will ever happen but some billionaire (say Packer) came along and set up a rival Aust. Rules Football comp would you support it?

- Say the new comp enticed 50% of the current players over to the new league.
- Completely 10 new teams were setup comprising of 4 in Melbourne (North, South, West and East), 2 in Adelaide, Perth (North and South) and 1 in Brisbane and Sydney.
- Preseason + 20 round season + Finals (top 5 teams).

Just wonder how many people would support it as the current AFL governing body seems to be annoying most people.

SKC

Originally posted by kaysee
Extremely unlikely this will ever happen but some billionaire (say Packer) came along and set up a rival Aust. Rules Football comp would you support it?

- Say the new comp enticed 50% of the current players over to the new league.
- Completely 10 new teams were setup comprising of 4 in Melbourne (North, South, West and East), 2 in Adelaide, Perth (North and South) and 1 in Brisbane and Sydney.

Just wonder how many people would support it as the current AFL governing body seems to be annoying most people.

SKC

Very hard for any team in the AFL to join the new comptition, whe n the AFL was formed, the CLUBS agree to allow the AFL to take ownship of the CLUBS NAME and LOGOS(for two year after a club leaves the AFL) . This is to protect the AFL from powerful clubs like Collingwood, Carlton or Essedon..etc from forming their own Comp.

I love watching the GAME

Im pretty sure that AFL actually owns rights to the AFL branding, Australian Football League name, Australian Rules Football name and all the rules associated with it.

You cannot start an Australian Rules League anywhere in Australia without the AFL's approval. You cannot use the AFL logo in any way, shape or form without the AFL's approval, and even then you have to use certain sizes etc.

I think it would be hard to do, as I am fairly sure the AFL pretty much owns the rights to every to do with the game :p

Originally posted by kaysee

Completely 10 new teams were setup comprising of 4 in Melbourne (North, South, West and East), 2 in Adelaide, Perth (North and South) and 1 in Brisbane and Sydney.

Why the extra 2 rounds.

I can't see it taking off due to contstraints on the grounds. With the AFL having deals with Docklands and the MCG in Melbourne and the SCG & gabba trust it would be extremely difficult to get off the ground.

Originally posted by Slax
I can't see it taking off due to contstraints on the grounds.

I can't see it taking off as no one in victoria would support a bast@rdised amalgamation called "norths" or "easts" et al.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's get that Wrestling McMahon bloke to construct a XAFL and pass it off as a cheap imitation of the real thing with nicknames on the back of guernseys.
....ok maybe not.

Originally posted by roostersgal4eva
where ever bisbane is thats where ill bee

athough im sick of the big advantages that are give to the vic teams

And here we all were thinking it was Brisbane getting the big advantages, when all the time it was us....wow...we all feel so silly now:rolleyes:

A lot of people have said what I'd say - I'd follow the Club not a particular league.

If the question was, would you support your Club breaking away from its current league and joining another, then having been through that, I'd rather it didn't happen again too quickly.

If say 5 or 6 Melbourne based Clubs, and one from each state formed another league and Port wasn't in it, I'd just expect them to win the league they were in. But I'd probably never understand why Port were not included.

(Hmmm, a Brisbane supporter sick of the AFL giving advantages to particular Clubs? Talking about biting the hand that gives the golden eggs...or something).

Heres something radical, lets have a leauge in melbourne with 6 games every saturday afternoon, with replays on 2 different TV stations, plus a ressies game on sunday arvo to fill a bit of airtime, wonder if anyones thought of trying that one day......

Originally posted by Adrian Shelton
Heres something radical, lets have a leauge in melbourne with 6 games every saturday afternoon, with replays on 2 different TV stations, plus a ressies game on sunday arvo to fill a bit of airtime, wonder if anyones thought of trying that one day......

They did, it died.

Cue interstate teams (pay attention now young McGuire). Reap rewards of increased sponsorship, media rights and national footprint. Enjoy licence payments. Some people have very short/selective memories.

Cheers

Kasey

I'll support whichever comp Ch 9 doesn't have the rights to. It'll save me a lot of heartache and anger and I might even get to see some of it.

Originally posted by Mudholian
A lot of people have said what I'd say - I'd follow the Club not a particular league.

Exactly - Most peoples alligience is very much to a team, not to the league.

Originally posted by Still Crowing
They did, it died.

Cue interstate teams (pay attention now young McGuire). Reap rewards of increased sponsorship, media rights and national footprint. Enjoy licence payments. Some people have very short/selective memories.

Cheers

Kasey

That's as may be, but at least you did not have to go interstate to follow your team. Once upon a time, the biggest road trip was Geelong.

Also, I do not remember too many players getting paid 400k. Now, it is not uncommon. No doubt a fair slice of that increased revenue finds its way into players' pockets. Clubs now have to travel, set up infrastructure that simply did not exist before. These things cost money too. The costs of running a football side have escalated, along with the returns. You only have to have a look at your club's financial reports to see that.

No doubt some of those licence payments also found their way back to the new clubs, for the purpose of seeking the new Holy Grail -- development of the game, (mostly in rugby league playing states). Not to mention a few concessions...

Indeed, we all have selective memories, it would seem.

The VFL as it was, was killed in the name of national expansion. It did not die a natural death.

I'm with Adrian.

Originally posted by Goo
Exactly - Most peoples alligience is very much to a team, not to the league.

OK...if Collingwood and Essendon dropped down to the VFL and the rest stayed in the AFL....how many years before the Pies and the Dons averaged 2,000 people per game ?

PA1870

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you support a breakaway league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back