Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Compare the Josh Caddy 100m penalty to the Willie one.

Caddy had multiple warnings to get away from his opponent. Willie had 5 seconds at best, and was being held on to.

Fwiw I think multiple 50s is too harsh a penalty and should be scrapped except for in extreme circumstances, but ultimately Willie's penalty was very unfair. The ump was absolutely gagging to give that one away.

I'm not the one for hyperbole but Willie Rioli might be a Top 5 small forwards of the competition.

I'm not the one for hyperbole but Willie Rioli might be a Top 5 small forwards of the competition.

I had to defend him from the allegation that he is worse than SPP pre game. Actually, all the guys who I defended pre game had rippers - Rioli, Wines, McEntee. The list goes on and then it stops.

I had to defend him from the allegation that he is worse than SPP pre game. Actually, all the guys who I defended pre game had rippers - Rioli, Wines, McEntee. The list goes on and then it stops.
They were all played to their strengths.

Rioli is just in great form and when he's anywhere near the ball, the opposition are having fits. He is a great snap from just about anywhere and he is creative too and just about always has time to burn.
Wines had 10 kicks and 23 handpasses, that ratio is what I want. More inside, not streaming into the 50.
Jed had a defensive assignment he could handle but not the best offensively.

Rioli and SPP is hard because SPP has the running capacity of a midfielder with that hardness but Rioli is just a genuine goal kicker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wines - 33 disposals, 1 goal, 11 score involvements
Rioli - 12 disposals, 4 goals, 10 score involvements
McEntee - 6 disposals, 0 goals, 2 score involvements, but kept Tom Stewart to a massive three disposals less than his average

The schtick is funny and all, but let's not diminish the actual star performances games by putting them in the same sentence as Jed managing to be barely passable rather than his usual standard of terrible.

Turn it up. You are referring to my comment that SPP is a better player than Rioli. The "worse" bit is self flagellating grandiose bs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back