irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
what is it about the eagles , we dont even look like getting close every time we play em ! that said loosing by 4 goals after the rotten start we had proberly was a fair effort think we were too short in defence

power - great
voss/black good effort
possum great mate tried your guts out
bradshaw did as well as you could
corrie liked your game
merrit good contest but gotta hold them marks
adcock good i reckon
charman gotta use your brains lad
joel you gotta go boyo
scott not what he was a year ago

The difference was Cousins................absolute champion.

We dominated for 15 minutes in the 3rd quarter and they were under enourmous pressure.

We got to within 21 points and I started to believe we were a show....then in steps Cousins in their first foray forward for the quarter ....and it's game over. :(

Then The Rodent kicks one from the boundary a few minutes later and I'm hoping we can hold the final margin to under 7 goals.

We were outplayed tonight but i'm heartened by the way we kept on keeping on and in reality....we were all over them at the end.

There is great spirit and pride in this side......I liked the way the heads were up....even when leaving the field.

Get behind them.......I firmly believe the best is yet to come.

luthor said:

We dominated for 15 minutes in the 3rd quarter and they were under enourmous pressure.

We got to within 21 points and I started to believe we were a show....then in steps Cousins in their first foray forward for the quarter ....and it's game over. :(

Then The Rodent kicks one from the boundary a few minutes later and I'm hoping we can hold the final margin to under 7 goals.

We were outplayed tonight but i'm heartened by the way we kept on keeping on and in reality....we were all over them at the end.

There is great spirit and pride in this side......I liked the way the heads were up....even when leaving the field.

fair call luthor !

luthor said:

Give the man a medal.... great summary Luthor. There is plenty of upside in this team and we just have to keep plugging away to try to get to September and see what happens. I think the commentators got it right in that we were a bit hyped up early and gave away some stupid frees which cost us goals and we almost looked inept in that first quarter just trying to pick it up at times. That was partly the Eagles pressure but partly pressure we put on ourselves as well.

Later in the game I thought we had them under real pressure when we got to 21 points half way through the third but we missed goals we should have kicked, dropped marks we should have held inside 50 and just couldn't capitalise. As Luthor says, the Eagles grabbed the ascendency back for 5 minutes and bang on 3 great goals.

The Eagles getting over us 5 times in a row doesn't worry me to be honest as it really is just one game at a time for us to try to qualify for finals. If we meet them in September perhaps we can still turn it around although I am concerned that we just don't EVER win enough hard ball against them whereas Kerr can just come on and win clearance after clearance. If we ever can find a way to break even in the middle I'm sure we have the forwards to worry them and the defenders to keep their scoring down if the ball they are getting suddenly isn't so clean. We saw that at times last night with Brown, Bradshaw, Merrett and Corrie all having their moments. For all that though, I just don't have an answer as to what to do to nullify all their midfielders at once and lets not forget what a good player Embley is.

Looking at the positives though.....

Adcock did the job on Matera again

We finally got something out of the Wirrpunda match up through Corrie. Wirrpunda usually kills us!

We kicked very poorly for goal and they were pretty good in that department

Voss got the better of Chick IMO which he needed to do. I know Chick went forward and kicked 3 (one of which was a gift when he was playing on White) but when you consider Vossy played significantly less game time than Chick and had several more possessions when they were head to head that was a good result

Black and Power were very good

There's considerable upside in Aker and Lappin, both of whom were just passable last night

For all that though, as I said, its not the Eagles we need to worry about now. Lets just get over Essendon this week and then set our sights on a tough game at the Dome against the Dogs. Get 2 wins there with Hawthorn at home to come and we'll be looking a lot better again. Drop one of those and we may miss the 8. I'd like to know just what the story is with Browny too. I pray its not OP....

he has groin soreness, it was in yesterdays paper, do u read the paper?
hope it's not to severe in the run home. he missed some shots in the first quarter that he would have got, with or with out the sore groin. hope he gets better.

Lions43 said:
......we almost looked inept in that first quarter just trying to pick it up at times.

QUOTE]

Yeah, this was the thing I really noticed in the first quarter too.

Particularly at the centre square clearances.........often the ball was on the ground after an indeterminate ruck contest but instead of giong in hard, "in an under", our centre square midfielders looked like they were trying to bend over and pick it up.......in the meantime, the Coaster on-ballers were racing in, diving down at ground level and clearing it to runners.

I got sick of the number of times that happened and I couldn't understand why we didn't at least try to lock it up in these circumstances instead of seeing them race away time and time again. :confused:

And Cousins did all that with the flu!? He was a class above everyone on the field.

It seemed whenever Judd got the ball the lions just stood around, maybe mesmerised by the red boots...

Leigh obviously gave them the right message at 1/4 time, but it was honestly too late...It was a real shame because we matched their intensity for the next two quarters, it was just that first 20 minutes when we were getting around like lazy.....lions!

Out of the 8 for the moment...Let's ground those bombers next week!

MSB ROYS said:
3 main reasons we lost...

1. Cousins - best I have seen in ages
2. Judd - cream on the top
3. Crap kicking for goal in the first 3 quarters
.. add Cox in the first quarter. He was dominant. When they got into trouble, they wacked a few talls forward and we had big matchup problems without Leppa.

Thought Adcock now has Matera's measure. That's a great outcome.

irish said:
what is it about the eagles , we dont even look like getting close every time we play em ! that said loosing by 4 goals after the rotten start we had proberly was a fair effort think we were too short in defence

power - great
voss/black good effort
possum great mate tried your guts out
bradshaw did as well as you could
corrie liked your game
merrit good contest but gotta hold them marks
adcock good i reckon
charman gotta use your brains lad
joel you gotta go boyo
scott not what he was a year ago
pretty fair analysis i'd say. Brown's impact faded due to an injury. aker had a quiet one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

why is it so hard ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back