Who will get Williams???

Remove this Banner Ad

Watt, with Leroy to shut down Barker, if he plays.

Really though, who knows until we see their lineup? We may have to cover Franklin, Barker, Holland, Croad and Williams. Who the hell knows, until we see 'em lineup?

Watt's quick enough though and, as RoyalBlue said, it'll be more to do with how our backline as a whole combines, as well as our restricting their midfield, which play a much bigger part in stopping Williams.

T'toes

Hey Devil Fish, for a fish you sure know how to cast that rod.

Now Watt has been good over the last month. Played well against Richmond. Did the job on Pavlich (His best game ever). Ran with the numbers against Essendon and kept Lucas to 2 goals. Did a reasonable job on Hansen however I would have liked to have seen him provide a little bit more run.

In the main he has played at Centre Half Back this season with Brown taking the Full Back duties. This has been a good move by Laidley as we haven't as yet conceded big goals to full forwards this season. In addition, Watt has been able to improve as a footballer at Centre Half Back.

Now I'm all against flirting with the guy’s form and placing him back on the last line of defense. Let's keep him at Centre Half Back were he has had his best season thus far.

As for who gets Williams, It's a tough one. Makepeace struggled against Matera and should have been moved from him earlier then what eventuated. I'd suspect that Laidley will go with Makepeace on Williams to start off with but should be prepared to make the move if things don't work out. Sansbury is an option for mine. He showed in the Wizard Cup against West Coast that he can play on the small forward type. Others may disagree however our only other option would be to redraft Robert Scott for this one game. As for Pratt and Archer, I think that Williams would be too nimble for them.

I thought Makepeace did a great job the first time on him , also Williams was in a lot better form back then to , Makepeace will get first crack IMO.

Devil Fish said:
Actually, I hope Watt has first crack at Williams because I want this myth/fact re Watt being `quick' either busted or proven. Maybe the MythBusters should be called in???

Apparantly on the track he is one of Norths quickest but unfortunately his brain is a little slow in telling his legs when to run. He'd get towelled up by Williams as Makepeace did last time when the Hawks got a run on in the 2nd half. we need someone smart, quick and able to read the play. He got most of his goals on the lead last time so filling the whole is an option but we wouldn't want to go defensive and play a loose man back. We need percentage and this should be one of our better opportunities to get some. If we keep winning the ball out of the middle and pumping it forward it won't matter who plays on him or how many he kicks.

Seriousy guys - do we really need to worry. With Mitchell out, I'd be surprised if Hawthorn managed a single centre clearance this week. I don't see Crawford getting his hands dirty and forraging under a pack to find a hard ball.

Will be very limited forward supply as long our boys are switched on.

The key to nullifying players like Williams is limiting clean delivery from the guts into the forward 50.

daggles said:
Apparantly on the track he is one of Norths quickest but unfortunately his brain is a little slow in telling his legs when to run. He'd get towelled up by Williams as Makepeace did last time when the Hawks got a run on in the 2nd half. we need someone smart, quick and able to read the play. He got most of his goals on the lead last time so filling the whole is an option but we wouldn't want to go defensive and play a loose man back. We need percentage and this should be one of our better opportunities to get some. If we keep winning the ball out of the middle and pumping it forward it won't matter who plays on him or how many he kicks.
David Trotter :)

Lidge said:
Seriousy guys - do we really need to worry. With Mitchell out, I'd be surprised if Hawthorn managed a single centre clearance this week. I don't see Crawford getting his hands dirty and forraging under a pack to find a hard ball.

Will be very limited forward supply as long our boys are switched on.

The key to nullifying players like Williams is limiting clean delivery from the guts into the forward 50.

Well the glove will take care of crawf, so no need to worry about him.. and with mitchell and hodge out... time for the hawks to cop a replay of this time last year...

Roolander said:
I thought Makepeace did a great job the first time on him , also Williams was in a lot better form back then to , Makepeace will get first crack IMO.

Makepeace got cut up in the first half last game against the Hawks - it was Sanbury that was moved to Willims and he shut him down. Don't see why we wouldn't go with a proven match up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

daggles said:
Apparantly on the track he is one of Norths quickest but unfortunately his brain is a little slow in telling his legs when to run. He'd get towelled up by Williams as Makepeace did last time when the Hawks got a run on in the 2nd half. we need someone smart, quick and able to read the play. . .

I think you might've hit the nail right on the head daggles.

saw this topic regarding willo, so i thought i might add something.
teams need to realise that no matter who they put on willo, they will not stop him on the lead. once he gets that 1-2m break, forget about it.
there are 2 ways to stop him, which teams have done well in recent weeks:
1- pressure on midfield makes hawthorns bad skills even worse
2- put a big body about 35 out from goal, and have him cut in front all day.

st.k put mcguire in front of williams, and he had a field day, even managing to run up the ground and kick a few goals.

Who cares who gets him... they should be worried about who they put on:
Thommo-Rocca-Harding!!

Very versitile forward line atm.

Hope Jacobs gets Thommo again :D

butchy said:
saw this topic regarding willo, so i thought i might add something.
teams need to realise that no matter who they put on willo, they will not stop him on the lead. once he gets that 1-2m break, forget about it.
there are 2 ways to stop him, which teams have done well in recent weeks:
1- pressure on midfield makes hawthorns bad skills even worse
2- put a big body about 35 out from goal, and have him cut in front all day.

st.k put mcguire in front of williams, and he had a field day, even managing to run up the ground and kick a few goals.

Well said Butchy. Been my method of defending with that ROADBLOCK. Colby, Brown or Watt can be that guy. Makey got the duties last time on Williams and whether JYD goes that way doesn't bother me as Lidge points out that the supply is going to be minimal IF North can get going hard & fast. And Bren, don't forget Hale, he played magnificently vs Spider last time. Petrie hurt himself early IRC and could bob up with his best game and stick it to a few on this board..... :p

Woodson said:
Well said Butchy. Been my method of defending with that ROADBLOCK. Colby, Brown or Watt can be that guy. Makey got the duties last time on Williams and whether JYD goes that way doesn't bother me as Lidge points out that the supply is going to be minimal IF North can get going hard & fast. And Bren, don't forget Hale, he played magnificently vs Spider last time. Petrie hurt himself early IRC and could bob up with his best game and stick it to a few on this board..... :p

And well said Woodson ;)

Woodson said:
Hale will smash Spider...

My point exactly!!

THEY need to be worried about US... not the other way around!!

Give our boys some credit!!

Gumbyroo said:
Makepeace got cut up in the first half last game against the Hawks - it was Sanbury that was moved to Willims and he shut him down. Don't see why we wouldn't go with a proven match up there.

I agree ,Gumby, I thought I must have been at the wrong game when people mentioned that Makey did ok last time, he got shredded, just as he did against Matera, both very quick of the mark, and makey never plays in front always next to or slightly behind, so the umpires can't see the hold, he doesn't quite react quick enough against those types, so is always a couple of metres behind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will get Williams???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back