Player Watch #20 Jacob Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

This trade looked promising but it was only promising because we bugger all depth in key tall forwards. Kozi sucks so bad it's not even a joke. He touches the ball with his hands but can't grab it. Doesn't offer us anything down the line on the wing like Lynch does as the relieving mark, doesn't offer us anything in the forward line, hardly a presence when he goes into the ruck. No wonder Dusty had to play a lot more forward. I look at the Dogs' tall forwards and i'm so jealous. I mean Jamarra took a one handed mark and Kozi can't even take a mark with 2 hands. The problem is Samson is weak as piss and gives up at the drop of a hat when he's in the ruck and gets manhandled by key defenders. Lets put the Crayfish in. Honestly Vickery should put the boots back on :cool:
Can’t mark, can’t kick, can’t bowl

One year from memory. As lowly as they are they couldn't see a future for him at the club beyond a single season. We on the other hand offered him three. Hawks don't have much to laugh about at the moment but I guess they've at least got this...
Payback for Vickery

I think Yze has coached reletively well with what his got, but I don't think he has read this one great.

He should not playing over Ryan. especially since Sampson is much better in the ruck as relief for Nank.
Kosi has been terrible & brought nothing to the club we paid nothing for him but looks like he is list spot waste (clogger)
100% mate, I'm sure he'll be in this week.

I get that he isn’t the most popular person atm but we signed him for 3 years so he will be around for at least the medium term future

Pretty sure it’s 2 years guys.

From what I heard from a family source Hawks offered him 1 & us 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it’s 2 years guys.

From what I heard from a family source Hawks offered him 1 & us 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 year too many imo

Hawks knew what he was capable of and not worth more
I would rather have Archie May developing on our list atleast there would be some upside

Firstly it's not a snap judgement. He has been in the AFL system for five years. He has been crap or at best mediocre for the vast percentage of it. What we are seeing is nothing new, it's just Koschitzke being Koschitzke.

However, you are 100 percent right, he would be a better player if he played third banana to Lynch and Balta. But would we be a better team? I know it's a small AFL sample (but that's why I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and not Koschitzke) but Mykelti Lefau is exactly what you'd want in a third forward. Fast, powerful, immensely strong, with sure hands and a sound kick. And someone due to his rugby background that can add some scary tackling pressure to our forward line. He is infinitely better prospect than a slow, plodding, poorly skilled and uncordinated player like Justin Koschitzke.

Anyhow, Koschitzke improving with Balta and Lynch by his side is a given (although I'm not sure how they would feel about it, at Hawthorn he was notorious for clumsiness and getting in the way of other forwards). But again you could say that about any player. And since I am neither his mother or significant other, in isolation I don't care if Koschitzke's report card has slightly fewer red marks on it. It's about whether it actually improves the side and whether there aren't better long term prospects that you might want to try first in that role. Personally assuming everyone were fit (yes I know, it's a ridiculous notion), I would give extended opportunities to Lefau, Ryan, Bauer and then eventually Fawcett in that order as third forwards. Only then when they have been tried and failed would I be resorting to a dreadfully limited role player like Jacob Koschitzke.

Still all academic, pigs will fly before all the above players, not least of all Lynch and Balta, are all fit at the same time...
Not sure about other posters and their expectations on Koschitzke way back when we traded for him, but this is what I wrote:

Looking forward to seeing how Jacob slots in. Has the ability to be a long term Jack replacement, but will need to improve his consistency.

As I said in the post the other day, I'm waiting until I see how he plays alongside Lynch and Balta, with our first choice midfield feeding the ball into F50, before I start making judgements on whether he is a bust or not.

As mentioned he hasn't had the chance to really settle in and play in our best line up yet and build some chemistry with team mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about other posters and their expectations on Koschitzke way back when we traded for him, but this is what I wrote:

As I said in the post the other day, I'm waiting until I see how he plays alongside Lynch and Balta, with our first choice midfield feeding the ball into F50, before I start making judgements on whether he is a bust or not.

As mentioned he hasn't had the chance to really settle in and play in our best line up yet and build some chemistry with team mates.
Only problem is, Lefau has gone past him.

I think Balta back is necessary now that we have found Lefau, Kosi in if Lefau goes off the boil. After what happened to our key backs last week, we need a big strong mobile full back.

His ruck work is quite good to the point if nank gets injured then Kosi should be the ruckman or Samson Ryan ruck and Kosi supporting him …… people will say it should be Naismith but Naismith is 31 and not the future while Kosi is 23 and is the future
His ruck work is surprisingly good around the ground, but given thats his best attribute right now, its super sad.

I think Balta back is necessary now that we have found Lefau, Kosi in if Lefau goes off the boil. After what happened to our key backs last week, we need a big strong mobile full back.
While Lefau played a very good game on Sunday, lets not get carried away. In the games that Koschitzke has played he has been asked to be the number 1 forward & back up ruck, not exactly an ideal situation to be thrown into at a new club for a bloke that was recruited as a 2nd/3rd tall forward option initially with the idea that he may well develop into a capable number 1 option with development. When Balta comes back I'm expecting a call to be made whether we go with Balta Kochitzke & Lefau, with Koschitzke staying as ruck support and Balta the number 1 KPF or we stick with the 2 talls with Balta giving Nankervis a break in the ruck.

Lefau gets paid no attention.
Happy with what he's done, but once he comes under notice, he'll struggle.

While Lefau played a very good game on Sunday, lets not get carried away. In the games that Koschitzke has played he has been asked to be the number 1 forward & back up ruck, not exactly an ideal situation to be thrown into at a new club for a bloke that was recruited as a 2nd/3rd tall forward option initially with the idea that he may well develop into a capable number 1 option with development. When Balta comes back I'm expecting a call to be made whether we go with Balta Kochitzke & Lefau, with Koschitzke staying as ruck support and Balta the number 1 KPF or we stick with the 2 talls with Balta giving Nankervis a break in the ruck.
I would have thought he would have loved to be playing forward / ruck backup, but probably not no.1, Lynch would be a handy foil. But I doubt we will ever play Lynch, Balta and Kosi together. Lefau maybe due to his ability at ground level and pressure etc.

I'm not getting carried away by Lefau, but he has shown a lot of attributes as a forward. He leads to the ball, he has a great spring, seems to have very good hands, he is a straight kick and good at ground level. I'm keeping a lid on it, but he has really started to look like a forward.

I'm not down on Kosi, I thought he was okay on the weekend. Led to plenty, dropped a few, but confidence might fix that a bit. Rucked well. Showed decent mobility. But he does seem to lack some class.

Lefau gets paid no attention.
Happy with what he's done, but once he comes under notice, he'll struggle.
Well he had a very good stopper on his in Barrass who was up his clacker on every lead he made and marked, so maybe he was just too quick, which he is, had too much spring and showed good hands. When we got 4 goals up, I'm pretty sure Barrass was not giving him any slack.

Last edited:
If you watch his highlights, he can take a good mark. Maybe he has poor eyesight like Hampson did.
I just don’t think he is the type of player we want him or need him to be right now with our current outs

Ideally he is a lead out 2nd or 3rd forward but right now he’s playing as the main target in a system that tends to favour forwards who like high balls who play behind the defender and being to ground for smalls if need be

Not the low balls that favours a forward who plays in front and leads into space

It’s a system designed specifically around Bolton, Balta, Lynch and our smalls since they are our best 22 all things being good

What will be interesting if Yze tries to adjust the game plan to compensate due to our outs our just keep practicing his preferred system this year

The excuses keep rolling on for this guy. Poor eyesight, rubber heart, dinner plate hands, paper Mache' legs, only 23 and still developing and will be better with Lynch and Balta in the side . LOLOLOL. He won't be getting a game if the last two blokes are around .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back