Wayne Carey and Corey Mckernan or Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead?

Who is the better pair?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is that Mckernan only really played 1 outstanding season, followed by average at best, with the odd outstanding game thrown in.

I think Roughy has much more impact on games, more regularly than Corey did outside of 96.

The problem is that Mckernan only really played 1 outstanding season, followed by average at best, with the odd outstanding game thrown in.

I think Roughy has much more impact on games, more regularly than Corey did outside of 96.

At his peak though - as the question asked - McKernan was a beast. Dangerous up forward, agile and mobile and more than handy in the ruck. He actually had a few good seasons, not just one outstanding one and the rest average one's. Chuck in Carey, who is probably the best player I've seen and for me it's a no-brainer.

At his peak though - as the question asked - McKernan was a beast. Dangerous up forward, agile and mobile and more than handy in the ruck. He actually had a few good seasons, not just one outstanding one and the rest average one's. Chuck in Carey, who is probably the best player I've seen and for me it's a no-brainer.

At his peak, you are correct of course.

His 96 season was phenominal. Strangely, Carey won the B&F!

Franklin & Roughead both turn 26 this month. Jarryd Roughead has kicked 294 goals so far. He will pass McKernan career goal tally by the end of this season and Franklin will also pass Carey career goals tally. He needs another 208 goals to surpass Carey 727 goals.

Did McKernan and Carey combine for a total of 188.136 in a season like what Franklin & Roughead did? Nope. There is a good chance Roughead will kick 500+ by the time he retires and Buddy will most likely pass 900 goals if he keeps going at his rate. Already Franklin & Roughead have kicked 814 goals between them.

Carey and Corza. Hands down.

Which is no knock on the Hawthorn pair, it's just that getting reamed by Carey and McKernan and North making at least the final four on their watch were like death and taxes.

Franklin & Roughead both turn 26 this month. Jarryd Roughead has kicked 294 goals so far. He will pass McKernan career goal tally by the end of this season and Franklin will also pass Carey career goals tally. He needs another 208 goals to surpass Carey 727 goals.

Did McKernan and Carey combine for a total of 188.136 in a season like what Franklin & Roughead did? Nope. There is a good chance Roughead will kick 500+ by the time he retires and Buddy will most likely pass 900 goals if he keeps going at his rate. Already Franklin & Roughead have kicked 814 goals between them.

Firstly, you're ignoring that the OP is asking for them at the peak of their powers. Carey & McKernan's 1996 > Franklin & Roughead's 2008.

Second, McKernan spent a lot more of his career as a ruckman than Roughead has, as a ruck/forward McKernan wins hands down.

Finally, it's not just about goals. Of course Roughead will tip McKernan on this front as stated above. As for the other two, the way you're talking is that if Franklin ends on more goals than Carey he will be seen as better.

Firstly, you're ignoring that the OP is asking for them at the peak of their powers. Carey & McKernan's 1996 > Franklin & Roughead's 2008.

Second, McKernan spent a lot more of his career as a ruckman than Roughead has, as a ruck/forward McKernan wins hands down.

Finally, it's not just about goals. Of course Roughead will tip McKernan on this front as stated above. As for the other two, the way you're talking is that if Franklin ends on more goals than Carey he will be seen as better.

Even if Franklin ends up with more goals then Carey, i still rate Carey as the better footballer and always will. I do however think that Roughead could end up a better player then McKernan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklin will end up with more goals then Carey and Roughead by seasons end will have more goals then McKernan.

Even though Franklin & Roughead aren't the better pair & never will be, they will end up kicking a lot more goals then the North Melbourne duo. I'll take that, everyday of the week! :)

Franklin will end up with more goals then Carey and Roughead by seasons end will have more goals then McKernan.

Even though Franklin & Roughead aren't the better pair & never will be, they will end up kicking a lot more goals then the North Melbourne duo. I'll take that, everyday of the week! :)

Um... You don't get positioning real good do you? ;)

If I were a betting man, I'd say Buddy is likely to finish his career at somewhere around the 750-800 goal mark.

He's a man that relies heavily on his athletic ability; I think some might WAY over estimate how many 'elite' years he has left. Let's say he stays at his current rate of performance until 30, and averages ~20 games a year.

That'll get him to ~800 goals.

For most of his career he's been playing for a very good side, I think it's clear the Hawks are aiming at ~a two year window at the moment.

So a player that relies on athletic prowess, not a great contested mark, yet to play for a long term poor side, yet to suffer from serious injury...... and he's gonna just keep ticking over?

I'd be absolutely stunned if he topped 800 (and 800 goals by the way is nothing to sneeze at).

The poll however, I think I'd have to go the Hawk duo.

Carey is far and away the best player of the four, but McKernan is not as good as Roughead (IMO); and Franklin is knocking on the door of a 'great' forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Carey and Corey Mckernan or Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead?

Back