UEFA EURO 2024 (Quarter Finals) - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

France have received three yellows, and I don't think any of them have been correct.

The refereeing has been inconsistent both within games and between games. Early in the England v Slovakia game the ref was dishing the cheese for any foul but later he kept the cards in his pocket for worse challenges.

Portugal have no chance of winning this tournament if they continue to put all their eggs in the Ronaldo basket. He is a spent force at international level. Why they let him take every single free kick is a mystery.

41 year old Pepe is also a huge worry... He will be exploited by France in the quarter final. The Slovenian striker, Šeško ran past him twice and should've scored both times. Full credit to Diogo Costa for making the saves and keeping the scores deadlocked 0-0.

Aside from their two old blokes, Portugal have a really good team. It's a pity their manager doesn't realise it's 2024 and not 2016.

Bit of a misleading stat that one. Many of those games were qualifiers against rabble and he missed WC2022 due injury.

In any case Camavinga is a much better option. Don't like seeing Giroud & Kante even in the squad, Les Bleus have too much quality to roll out old guys that are past it.

Is it just me or does it feel like the top end teams are spluttering badly in this tournament?

Germany/Spain doing reasonably well but the rest just look average at best.

Apart from Germany they've been pretty uninspiring. The tournament as a whole has been poor. Too many draws & defensive football. For European players it's a culmination of Euro 2020 held in 2021, the split season in 2022 meaning a shorter rest for all players in the summers of 22 and 23. And now Euro 2024 on top of all of that.

I have vague recollections as a kid of Euro 96 being similar with plenty of draws and shitty football. This feels similar. I mean France has scored only 3 goals in 4 games even though they've only conceded 1. It's dire.

Bit of a misleading stat that one. Many of those games were qualifiers against rabble and he missed WC2022 due injury.

In any case Camavinga is a much better option. Don't like seeing Giroud & Kante even in the squad, Les Bleus have too much quality to roll out old guys that are past it.
Yeah I dunno, Kante has been fantastic these Euros. France hasn't conceded with him on the pitch and he's grab a couple of MOTMs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spain will win it.

2008 3 from 3 in the group stage including a first up win by 3 goals. Portugal tops the group with a game to spare and loses 2-0 in their 3rd group game ( Switzerland in 2008 Georgia 2024 ) plus Boston Celtics won the NBA Championship. History will repeat. Plus Spain have been the best side in the comp. Aside from them then Germany the sides haven't been great at all.

I have vague recollections as a kid of Euro 96 being similar with plenty of draws and shitty football. This feels similar. I mean France has scored only 3 goals in 4 games even though they've only conceded 1. It's dire.

Perhaps that bodes well for France as I recall similar issues with their goal scoring in 98. Guivarc’h struggled up front that tournament and they relied on unlikely goal scorers to propel them to the final before Zidane did his thing. Blanc, a random Thuram brace in the semi (his first and only goals for France I recall at the time, after probably being at fault for conceding to Suker earlier in the match).

I feel they’re growing nicely into the tournament otherwise. Saliba has been fantastic as expected.

**** off you campaigners we're winning Euro. 2024 is our year.
It's our time. We're going to roll France and either Germany or Portugal in the final.
Bellingham will win The Euros and The Ballon D'or.
It's our time.
But I like our team to go all the way in the big one. I reckon we may get revenge on Italy along the way too.
Spain will win it.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

\
Perhaps that bodes well for France as I recall similar issues with their goal scoring in 98. Guivarc’h struggled up front that tournament and they relied on unlikely goal scorers to propel them to the final before Zidane did his thing. Blanc, a random Thuram brace in the semi (his first and only goals for France I recall at the time, after probably being at fault for conceding to Suker earlier in the match).

I feel they’re growing nicely into the tournament otherwise. Saliba has been fantastic as expected.

Yes I did.

Deschamps and Southgate are horrific. Both rely on individual brilliance from players. There is no system or strategy.
Thankfully France have Owen absolutely firing this tournament or they would have only that one penalty goal to fall back on.

Just watching the England game now and it is funny.

The idea that Mainoo is playing central midfield ahead of Foden is absurd.

The idea that Trippier is playing at all is absurd.

The idea that Walker is ahead of TAA because he is better defensively is absurd - Walker has been appalling defensively and non-existent offensively.

Southgate could at least start by playing their best player - Foden - in his correct position.

Surely it is not that hard to see.

Last edited:

The idea that Walker is ahead of TAA because he is better defensively is absurd - Walker has been appalling defensively and non-existent offensively.

Southgate could at least start by playing their best player - Foden - in his correct position.

You think Foden and Mainoo play the same position?

Foden isn't a CM, but the rest is accurate.

I don't know why they wouldn't play TAA as an inverted FB. Leave Walker at RB since him and Saka had chemistry the first two games, and play TAA as an inverted ball playing defender. Trippier hasn't been good defensively and Trent is better on the ball.

Southgates issue is that even if Foden was RW instead of Saka, he drifts centrally which is where Kane and Bellingham are occupying space. So no matter where you play Foden, if you don't fix the tactics you will have the same issue no matter which wing Foden is on.

You think Foden and Mainoo play the same position?
No. Foden does not play on the left. Ever. So he is either central (where he wants to play) or right.

But Saka is also right - until Southgate puts him on the left and he does SFA 😳

Mainoo actually played ok but Foden is better. And shoehorning Foden on the left because that is all that is left is a complete waste.

Trippier was actually the only player who did anything down the left - and he is apparently Englands 3rd best right back.

It is actually ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back