Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Butler or Josh Battle worth a look? Both OOC end of season.

Whorethorn flogs still have Smith going there BulldogMuscle
I think you got it correct when you said ''flogs''

I'm still quietly confident that he'll be staying put - although, fluid situation and I'm only getting third hand information at best. Sadly my internal club contact doesn't work at the Dogs anymore.

Nathan Philactides may get a look in if we want to go with pace in the MD? Has abit to work with however I’ve heard very little about him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I just want commend the club for holding firm and not matching the crazy 10 year offers that Marra was getting from rival clubs.

He might get there, but at the moment he has a long way to go. 2 years gives him enough incentive to improve before his next big deal.

I just want commend the club for holding firm and not matching the crazy 10 year offers that Marra was getting from rival clubs.

He might get there, but at the moment he has a long way to go. 2 years gives him enough incentive to improve before his next big deal.
Marra is currently equal third in the league for average number of marks inside 50 per game. He has 3.00 per game and is ahead of Naughton (2.00) and Darcy (2.33). He's also equal 8th in the league for CMs with 2.00 (behind Darcy 2.11, but ahead of Naughton 1.40).

I know these are only stats in isolation and that Darcy and especially Naughton have more to their game than Marra but he's not doing terribly for a bloke who is well below his best form.

It might not be this week but I still think he's going to start putting it together soon.

Marra is currently equal third in the league for average number of marks inside 50 per game. He has 3.00 per game and is ahead of Naughton (2.00) and Darcy (2.33). He's also equal 8th in the league for CMs with 2.00 (behind Darcy 2.11, but ahead of Naughton 1.40).

I know these are only stats in isolation and that Darcy and especially Naughton have more to their game than Marra but he's not doing terribly for a bloke who is well below his best form.

It might not be this week but I still think he's going to start putting it together soon.
As much as his poor goalkicking is letting him down as a player, it's also far more likely that any given player improves their goalkicking than any given player improves their contested marking or whatever. It can be both true that he's not necessarily playing that well this season, but at the same time, it doesn't mean he's not playing in a way that should suggest he'll be a highly valuable player in the future.

Harley Reid is from Tongala. Sam Pang once played at Tongala. Among Sam's favourite guests on The Front Bar are former and current Bulldogs Barry Round, Allen Jakovich, Doug Hawkins and Tom Liberatore.
It's obvious Reid will request a trade to us... eventually. 🤞

Harley Reid is from Tongala. Sam Pang once played at Tongala. Among Sam's favourite guests on The Front Bar are former and current Bulldogs Barry Round, Allen Jakovich, Doug Hawkins and Tom Liberatore.
It's obvious Reid will request a trade to us... eventually. 🤞

Let’s hope Sammy Power has 3 first rounders up his sleeve because Reid is a freak.

As much as his poor goalkicking is letting him down as a player, it's also far more likely that any given player improves their goalkicking than any given player improves their contested marking or whatever. It can be both true that he's not necessarily playing that well this season, but at the same time, it doesn't mean he's not playing in a way that should suggest he'll be a highly valuable player in the future.
I think we are saying the same thing. Like everyone else I see a player with a heap of promise.

Of course what we would like to see a bit more of is the positive body language (there's no stat for that), the chasing and tackling, GAs, the running, etc. These are the things that make Naughton such an impressive player.

For example:
Naughton is eq 6th in the league with 1.2 GAs per game this year. And he has been right up there in previous years too.
Jamarra is eq 294th this year with 0.12 per game. Or if you limit it to just forwards he is eq 150th out of 154. We are entitled to expect him to do better in that stat. TBF he averaged 0.61 last year. Eq 62nd among forwards (out of 218) along with Isaac Heeney.

Am I worried? No not especially. None of us will be worried when Marra starts averaging 2-3 goals a game. His GAs will go up too. And they don't have to reach Naughton levels.

All three - Naughton, Marra, Darcy - are different players who bring different skill sets and strengths. And he is still only 22, two years younger than Naughton. However these are the sorts of things I was referring to when I said Naughton has more to his game, at least for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are saying the same thing. Like everyone else I see a player with a heap of promise.

Of course what we would like to see a bit more of is the positive body language (there's no stat for that), the chasing and tackling, GAs, the running, etc. These are the things that make Naughton such an impressive player.

For example:
Naughton is eq 6th in the league with 1.2 GAs per game this year. And he has been right up there in previous years too.
Jamarra is eq 294th this year with 0.12 per game. Or if you limit it to just forwards he is eq 150th out of 154. We are entitled to expect him to do better in that stat. TBF he averaged 0.61 last year. Eq 62nd among forwards (out of 218) along with Isaac Heeney.

Am I worried? No not especially. None of us will be worried when Marra starts averaging 2-3 goals a game. His GAs will go up too. And they don't have to reach Naughton levels.

All three - Naughton, Marra, Darcy - are different players who bring different skill sets and strengths. And he is still only 22, two years younger than Naughton. However these are the sorts of things I was referring to when I said Naughton has more to his game, at least for now.

Naughton was also a freak in how ready he was for afl footy as a tall. Of course he’s very mobile and athletic which helps but he was ready to go as a gun at either end in his first season. Even now though still somewhat lacking in forward craft he’s transforming and adding to his game to become a pretty unique player.

I'd be scouring the league for a ready to go small defender if we are set on trading this year. Bramble is a rebounder/JJ-lite and Richards is just so good in the midfield as a guy with pace who can actually defend and use the ball well.
I'd draft one too.

I'd be scouring the league for a ready to go small defender if we are set on trading this year. Bramble is a rebounder/JJ-lite and Richards is just so good in the midfield as a guy with pace who can actually defend and use the ball well.
I'd draft one too.
A ready-made Duryea replacement is a must this off season. He has been pivotal to our defensive structure since his return to the team. What players could we look to target, OOC or otherwise?

I'd draft one too.
Rhymes with Blake Hardwick

I'd draft one too.
Wouldn't mind having a look at Brandon Walker, but I reckon it would be difficult to pry him out of the Dockers.

And drafted Phillips over Logan McDonald…
That was a howler... but they couldn't keep JHF and they might lose LDU this year.
Their problem is as much keeping players as it is drafting and developing.

Naughton was also a freak in how ready he was for afl footy as a tall. Of course he’s very mobile and athletic which helps but he was ready to go as a gun at either end in his first season. Even now though still somewhat lacking in forward craft he’s transforming and adding to his game to become a pretty unique player.
There's already been three different kinds of elite Naughton as a forward.

The 2019 version that would jump over packs
The 2021 version that would take the leads of Bruce as a forward and muscle opponents one-on-one in the goalsquare, and lead to the pockets
The 2024 version that's now working as a true centre-half-forward, and almost playing as an extra small up the ground, as he's leading all key forwards in the league for pressure acts and raw disposals.

His ability to adjust his game so far in his career as teams have put work into him and the different forwards he has around him is nothing short of impressive. I'm glad it's him that we have locked up in a contract forever.

That was a howler... but they couldn't keep JHF and they might lose LDU this year.
Their problem is as much keeping players as it is drafting and developing.
Shouldn't have drafted JHF. Never wanted to come so should have traded first pick for multiple first round picks.

Not picking Logan Macdonald was also a howler.

Doing these 2 things alone would have them further along in their 8 year rebuild

I'd draft one too.

Article on the AFL site is suggesting ex-Swan Matthew Ling is attracting interest. He was drafted as a line breaking half back.
Anyone know if that’s where he has been playing since being delisted?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back