Analysis The Stats and nothing but the Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, doesn't this look pretty

Bloody BEAUTIFUL!!!

I especially like the bit that said none of our numbers are in the bottom six (which no other team can say), and that 94% of our numbers are in the top 6, with the next best at 61% and no-one else above 50%!

We are doing an awful lot right!

Bloody BEAUTIFUL!!!

I especially like the bit that said none of our numbers are in the bottom six (which no other team can say), and that 94% of our numbers are in the top 6, with the next best at 61% and no-one else above 50%!

We are doing an awful lot right!
Huge shout out to both coaching and playing groups.

Kiama Chris, can you help me out please? Can you just confirm for me that I'm reading this right? The xScore is the expected score, with +/- being the amount above/below the expected scoring achieved? And what is the xSc./Shot? (I feel I should know, and have known previously, but today I can't figure it out?)

But what I really want you to confirm for me, is that the statistics suggested we'd thrash Carlton by slightly less than we did?

1716067513857.png

The xScore is the expected score, with +/- being the amount above/below the expected scoring achieved?
Correct
And what is the xSc./Shot? (I feel I should know, and have known previously, but today I can't figure it out?)
Average expected score per shot at goal, reflecting the average difficulty of shots taken.

But what I really want you to confirm for me, is that the statistics suggested we'd thrash Carlton by slightly less than we did?
This is also the correct interpretation.

Kiama Chris, can you help me out please? Can you just confirm for me that I'm reading this right? The xScore is the expected score, with +/- being the amount above/below the expected scoring achieved? And what is the xSc./Shot? (I feel I should know, and have known previously, but today I can't figure it out?)

View attachment 1993175
Yep exactly right Kirky. The xScore is based on where the shots were taken from. xSc/Shot is a measure of accuracy. No idea how they calculate it. We were off the chart against Freo but not as much as you might think because a lot of our shots were from "can't miss" spots.
If you look at the charts both teams shot from similar distances/angles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct

Average expected score per shot at goal, reflecting the average difficulty of shots taken.

This is also the correct interpretation.
Thank you very much! I was sure we would beat them and do it well!

I've been following the stats a bit lately, and I think, all things being equal, there are not many teams likely to beat us if we're playing at our best...

Of course, it's round 10, so injuries or form slumps, or given we're the Swans, rule changes could be in our future... but I'm quietly confident we're going to have a very fine year indeed!

Round 10, we are the best offensive and defensive team in the league, carrying on from last week.

Offensively averaging 103 per game, defensively conceding 66.6

Offensively, next closest is cats averaging 95.4 points a game

Defensively, next closest is freo conceding 68.6 points a game

Round 10, we are the best offensive and defensive team in the league, carrying on from last week.

Offensively averaging 103 per game, defensively conceding 66.6

Offensively, next closest is cats averaging 95.4 points a game

Defensively, next closest is freo conceding 68.6 points a game
Average winning margin of 41 points. Smallest win 22 points

Aaaand first possession numbers vs Carlton.

Some pretty average efficiency from them (no doubt thanks to our pressure on the ball carrier) and some elite efficiency from us is the tale of the tape this week, with that second-half centre bounce category the most telling.

Screen Shot 2024-05-19 at 9.27.56 pm.png
Screen Shot 2024-05-19 at 9.28.18 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back