The seconds lost on a recalled bounce

Remove this Banner Ad

Afrojack

Debutant
Sep 23, 2009
Phase One
AFL Club
Essendon
Wondering if the seconds that are lost on a recalled bounce are replaced?
If no, which I think is currently the case, then there would be an average of around 12 seconds lost in every game? (3 seconds lost every bounce x 4 recalled bounces per game?). That would be enough for a side down by a goal or less to get it out of the middle and a mark inside 50, not to mention percentage etc.

If anyone knows the answer to my question that would probably be the most awesome thing ever :footy:

Wondering if the seconds that are lost on a recalled bounce are replaced?
If no, which I think is currently the case, then there would be an average of around 12 seconds lost in every game? (3 seconds lost every bounce x 4 recalled bounces per game?). That would be enough for a side down by a goal or less to get it out of the middle and a mark inside 50, not to mention percentage etc.

If anyone knows the answer to my question that would probably be the most awesome thing ever :footy:

Yes was thinking the same thing last year, it is a very valid point. Perhaps the clock should not start until the ball hits a players hands, similar to basketball.

Yes was thinking the same thing last year, it is a very valid point. Perhaps the clock should not start until the ball hits a players hands, similar to basketball.

Naaaa.

But it is a slight problem. However, it would probably be too hard for the timekeepers / umpires to work out, leaving it as it is is the easiest way I'd say.

12 seconds out of 7200 seconds, not too much of an issue.

The timekeeping in AFL is sloppy and unprofessional at best. This isn't the only time we've seen time just get lost into the abyss.

I was reading somewhere that they try make up the time at various stoppages until the time lost in made up. I cannot tell you where I heard this as it is just something I know I heard somewhere.

Can anyone back this up?

What if with 10 seconds to go in the grand final with one team 5 points down there is a recalled bounce and the siren goes?

No telling if the team behind could've kicked the goal with an extra few seconds but if it was to happen it would be a media circus.

Fix it before it's a problem like Banzai suggests.

Oh please! Let's not go there! You can't logically be pedantic about time without being similarly pedantic about other aspects of the game. The obvious example of this is the NFL with the clock playing a hugely important role in a game and the 'chains' used to measure the 10 years' forward progress to an accuracy of parts of inches. (Let's leave alone the paradox that a ball that is 'spotted' by eye at the start of a set of downs can be measured in or out by less than half an inch on the chain at the conclusion of that set of downs.)

If we're going to be anal about the clock, will we need to get even more anal than currently about the location of the 'mark' for marks and free kicks, lining up forwards kicking for goal, and so on. Just get over it!

Naaaa.

But it is a slight problem. However, it would probably be too hard for the timekeepers / umpires to work out, leaving it as it is is the easiest way I'd say.

12 seconds out of 7200 seconds, not too much of an issue.
I would have thought that it wouldn't be too hard to work out.. The timekeepers could just mark down the amount of time left on the clock after each goal and if there is a recalled bounce replace the lost seconds..

But yes, then that would require the umpires to wait for that to happen and be in contact with the timekeepers before they can throw the ball up to begin play again which may turn into a bit of a fiasco in itself possibly

I would have thought that it wouldn't be too hard to work out.. The timekeepers could just mark down the amount of time left on the clock after each goal and if there is a recalled bounce replace the lost seconds..

But yes, then that would require the umpires to wait for that to happen and be in contact with the timekeepers before they can throw the ball up to begin play again which may turn into a bit of a fiasco in itself possibly

That was my main thought. It's like the umpires waiting in the middle for the ball to be bounced for ages while they wait for the all clear from the ads or whatever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read this last week so when I was watching the games this weekend I watched the clock every time. There seems to be in consistent I can remember times when the clock stopped, and others when it didn't. Surely technology is at a stage where the time when the initial bounce was made is saved and if we reset the square the clock reverts back. Does the same issue occur when the umpire forces the boundary umpire to throw the ball in again? (even though it is rare)

Why do I get the feeling this rule is just to give more justification to get rid of the bounce altogether...

The AFL really need to make a firm call and get rid of this rule, or get rid of the bounce. Recalling bounces is just plain stupid.

There's been plenty of "Sully" bounces in the past that didn't result in goals, purely because players played closer to their opponents, therefore, there was a contest no matter which way the ball went.

If the bounce is to stay, modern players really do need to set up differently in the middle and be ready to contest an offline bounce (as the rules still permit), like the players of yesteryear. Otherwise, if there is the want of predictability, throw it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

The seconds lost on a recalled bounce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back