THE HAMMER CONUNDRUM

Remove this Banner Ad

I said i wouldn't start it in the match day thread but someone has to.
Ivan is a God.
Let's put that to bed.
Right now though the Hammer is building a case.
Tyrone comes straight back for mine.
Just plays a good role as a leading forward and can ruck limited albeit.
Griff? Can see him being the out because he goes missing for hugely extended periods but I can see his positives too.
But Maric,Ty and Griff is the default and I've no qualms with that but what's the alternative with Hammer playing so well?
Does Ivan go?
Does Hammer go back to the twos?
Does Griff miss out?
Or just because I think not means **** all does Ty miss out?'
Interesting conundrum i think and a good one to have.
Maybe you have a way of having all four?
What are your thoughts?

I think Ivan was rusty, no point judging him next week against the super freak but I do feel hammer will compete better against Sandilands as pure tap ruckman. Are we going to get Griffiths back next week?

I prefer Hampson over Maric as a forward; good mark, shit kick. I'd rather have him in the team if we're in a situation like this again because soon the goals will come. One of his kicks has to float through for a sausage eventually.

And as mentioned, we cannot play Maric, Hampson, Vickery and Griff in the same team. I guess it all comes down to who we're playing and who is suited best etc. but Hampson is NOT useless, I rate him and he is good backup at the very least.

I think Ivan was rusty, no point judging him next week against the super freak but I do feel hammer will compete better against Sandilands as pure tap ruckman. Are we going to get Griffiths back next week?

Against Sandilands, Hammer is the better option. Hammer has done enough around the ground to deserve the opportunity. I think it might be a case of taking each game on it's merits. Hammer is the better #1 Ruck for next week.

Won't happen as it's always hard to dislodge an incumbent that has years of service under his belt, but...
Maric out
Hammer in
Griff plays but he needs to do more or we need to find an alternative
Ty...bagged him for years for not being the player I wanted him to be but he's an automatic selection. We're a more balanced squad with him in. Jack just has too much to do without him.

Last edited:
I'd give Ivvy a couple of weeks rest and let Hampson do the ruckwork.
They must absolutely not play in the same side.
Problem is Vickery is another week away and Griffiths may not be right.
We could always play Griggs in the ruck. That's what we recruited him for.

I think sentiment needs to be set aside and next week's changes must be based on pure matchups.

And as it stands right now Hampson should be the preferred ruck man to take on sandilands.

Unfortunately Maric doesn't have that same spring in his step that he used to when it comes to the ruck contest.

Hampson should be able to atleast halve a lot more ruck contests and possibly even win his fair share.

I know we beat them last time with Maric, but I don't think we should be giving them automatic first use of the ball again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way can we play Maric and Hampson in the same team for too long. It's just uncoordinated up forward. Maric says his toughest opponent is Sandilands, so I wouldn't be surprised if Hamster plays this week. But that would be it for me.

Hampson only plays if Maric is injured/we don't have a ruckman who can combat the other team's athletic/super tall ruck. Hampson can and should play against Freo because of Sandilands, could offer something against West Coast and other than that he can just keep racking up hit-out records in the VFL. His tap-work is AFL standard, his kicking would look bad in an U/14 girls match and his around ground presence, while improving, isn't great.

Maric is the heart and sole of the club.
He does more than play football for this team.
He won't be dropped. It wouldn't surprise me if next year is his last.

I don't see an issue. Griffith's can help down back at times. Maric will not be around forever.

Potentially, TV, Griffith's and Hampson can rotate when Maric slows down.

Hampson needs to develop his legs and improve his goal kicking though

I'd give Ivvy a couple of weeks rest and let Hampson do the ruckwork.
They must absolutely not play in the same side.
Problem is Vickery is another week away and Griffiths may not be right.
We could always play Griggs in the ruck. That's what we recruited him for.
Agreed , would be interesting to watch the tapes again , looked to me our clearance work was much better with hammers deft tap work

Only one of Maric and Hampson can play. To be honest I think Hampson came across with the expectation he and Maric would play in the same side. We quickly found out that didn't work.. And the development of Griffiths as a forward playing that third tall has only left room for one sole-ruckman. I think Hampson knows this and has really knuckled down.. I say let him and Maric battle for the number 1 ruck spot.. Whoever is in form plays.. Simple

Hampson wins in the ruck. Ivan (God bless him) is serviceable in the ruck. If they offer much the same around the ground, you have to go with Hammer. Today Hampson was better. He plays next week and Sandilands won't make a new hitouts to advantage record. I actually think if Hampson can play at the level he played the last two weeks we will win more games and have a better shot at the flag. A genuine elite tap ruckman. If he can find the ball around 10-12 times, take 4-6 marks and kick the occasional goal then he can't be dropped.

Agreed , would be interesting to watch the tapes again , looked to me our clearance work was much better with hammers deft tap work
i think the problem with playing both of them is that neither are known goalkickers. Until the sub rule gets abolished, then we just can't play both of them at t he same time.

Great OP. Real issue for the Tiges i reckon. Hammer has done a great job and if he'd kicked straight may well have marked Ivans card. But he didn't.
TV will come back in, or Griff. Because we need another genuine target up forward, but cant have 2. 1 of Hammer or Ivan have to go.

Short answer...I have no idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

THE HAMMER CONUNDRUM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back