Toast The Curious Case of Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

Gov
Kennedy
Yeo
Barrass
Hurn

I think Shep would be a good contested mark if he didn't go the spoil so often. Always saves us though which is awesome but he times his leaps to perfection.

Darling suffers from being undersized and shorter than his direct opponents most of the time. He will often not have the frame to stop the fist coming over his shoulder but his hands themselves are quite good.

Gov
Kennedy
Yeo
Barrass
Hurn

I think Shep would be a good contested mark if he didn't go the spoil so often. Always saves us though which is awesome but he times his leaps to perfection.

Darling suffers from being undersized and shorter than his direct opponents most of the time. He will often not have the frame to stop the fist coming over his shoulder but his hands themselves are quite good.

Darling needs to lose the bulk he's put on.

Look at him in his first couple years and he was the step quicker and agile.

His best work is done up the ground as a high HF, he's not a CHF and doesn't play like one.

While his goal kicking has always been a little inconsistent, his marking usually gave him praise. He used to be great in the air, whatever happened to that darling?

I've thought a lot of the criticism in previous weeks has been overly harsh but he was just trash today. Chance to step up with no Kennedy and does **** all.

Actually looked a bit like he was up for it in the first but then just seemed to give up completely.

This is darlings low ceiling coming to fruition . Is was said when drafting him he was a man child and he played like it from day one . We all were hoping that he would get to the next level but he is undersized , not very clean with his disposal and is getting found out now that proper size *193+ athletic full backs are manning him up .
Had a mare today

I remember when West Coast had the chance of using thier high draft pick to trade it and getting my cousin, instead they chose to keep the draft pick and drafted Darling.

Maybe he needs a change of scenery at another club? He is a handy player but looks very short on confidence.

His best work is done up the ground as a high HF, he's not a CHF and doesn't play like one.

I disagree. I don't think he does enough damage up the ground. He would need to essentially be a midfielder and he isn't. He wasn't more agile before just younger and people more forgiving.

His only way to make the mark is in forward line and like Gunston, his influence can only happen when team is strong. In the end recruiters were right, his ceiling isn't high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darling is just a little man playing in a big mans body. He wants the little mans game.
I think he's a crab, and brings those around him down with his softness, but in his defense, he's only 191cm which actually isn't that big for a key fwd - heck Nat Fyfe is 190.
Darling will always struggle as the sole focal point as he's just not big enough and not tough enough. That's 1 thing that made Pav so good. he was only 191cm as well. Overhead he wasn't great, but it's everything else he did, he wasn't even that tough but he competed.

Darling has all the attributes, but sadly he just doesn't have the grit or mongrel in him. He'll only ever be decent in a team where he's the 2nd or 3rd key fwd.

I think you guys missed the boat last year. he should've been traded to GWS with your 1st pick for the local Swan Districts boy, Lobbe. Sadly each week Darlings currency is going down, but hey, if we at freo can get a 2nd rounder for Mayne (who's not even getting a game at Collingwood) maybe you'll get lucky too!

He's only good as the third tall as we saw when he had JK and Q Stick taking the attention away from him. Now that Lynch is gone and he is battling demons from the grand final debacle he has really become a liability. I don't know if he has the make up to become great for us in the future, not looking good at this stage.

MI think you guys missed the boat last year. he should've been traded to GWS with your 1st pick for the local Swan Districts boy, Lobbe. Sadly each week Darlings currency is going down, but hey, if we at freo can get a 2nd rounder for Mayne (who's not even getting a game at Collingwood) maybe you'll get lucky too!
Darling and a 1st for Lobb?

Pass.

Gov
Kennedy
Yeo
Barrass
Hurn

Hurn?? Averaging 0.6 a game.

Darling is just a little man playing in a big mans body. He wants the little mans game.
I think he's a crab, and brings those around him down with his softness, but in his defense, he's only 191cm which actually isn't that big for a key fwd - heck Nat Fyfe is 190.
Darling will always struggle as the sole focal point as he's just not big enough and not tough enough. That's 1 thing that made Pav so good. he was only 191cm as well. Overhead he wasn't great, but it's everything else he did, he wasn't even that tough but he competed.

Darling has all the attributes, but sadly he just doesn't have the grit or mongrel in him. He'll only ever be decent in a team where he's the 2nd or 3rd key fwd.

I think you guys missed the boat last year. he should've been traded to GWS with your 1st pick for the local Swan Districts boy, Lobbe. Sadly each week Darlings currency is going down, but hey, if we at freo can get a 2nd rounder for Mayne (who's not even getting a game at Collingwood) maybe you'll get lucky too!
I don't really rate Matt Lobbe to be honest.

He was playing shit before his first born was conceived
I think his playing form has been down since he got engaged. He might currently be number 1 in forward pressure acts, but those acts aren't the same as they were years ago. Where are the big chase downs?

too short to be key position, not clean enough to be a high forward and not agile enough to be a crumbing forward. He is just an average roll players, his value is as a chaser so losing a few KG may help..

The failure of Darling and Gaff (and many others, such as Duggan) to take the next step up is the fault of the coaches.

Our development is just as bad as Brisbane's IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast The Curious Case of Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back