Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the knock on Kako is it consistency and just needing to get more runs on the board?

What is the knock on Kako is it consistency and just needing to get more runs on the board?
There is no real knock, I think personally his range is from 25/6 onwards and I have him in this position on my board due to liking others more. If he has consistency for the rest of the year then Essendon will struggle to have him fall to them after 40, they may have to grab him with their own pick before anyone gets a chance if that's the way they want to go which is currently pick 36, but he may not last till that pick either. It will be interesting on the night.

M.S.D
Possible Outcome Of Mid Season Draft

NORTH - GEORDIE PAYNE
surely

RICH - REMY MACLEAN
Might have to jump in here if they are interested as he shouldn't last till their next pick, and he is a need, i had Jacob Blight here for all of last week, and still think there is a chance but with balta going back.....who knows

WCE - LUKE BEECKEN
I just have the feeling they may go this way, excellent user of the ball

STK - MAX HALL
word is they like him

HAW - WILL MCLACHLAN
this is a good fit from my pov

BRIS - JACK HUTCHINSON
excellent overhead, good on the ground and can find a goal

ADEL - TOBY MURRAY
surely he joins his brother this year and fills a future need as himmelberg has not come on and may not stick around

WB - TRENT BIANCO
its the bulldogs, i think they stay close to home here

G.C - PASS

FREO - MATT LING
he should get another shot and has put in the work, talk is they like him

CARL - LIAM MCMAHON
big forward who has previous exposure with a professional club and is kicking bags under their noses

COLL - JACOB BLIGHT
did not think i would have blight down so low but the pies would be happy to pounce here, i would think, for a big developing KPD with an advanced frame and still very young

MELB - SAAD EL-HAWLI
This guy is super quick and racking up big disposal numbers as well as mark and tackles for the Bullants, his game improvement with a different role has really jumped out and he has had a big run of consistently good games. My bolter.

PORT - LOGAN EVANS
i think this is their pick, regardless of swinging arms. He is in the system, knows the system and plays good footy

ESS - OSKAR SMARTT
essendon find a good marking, tackling and goal kicking small forward

NTH - NOAH HOWES
could he be the foil alongside Larkey?

RICH - ILIRO SMIT
There is a need for a developing ruck, and i only have Iliro here due to whispers, could it be Joe Pike? or another "out of the hat/where did they find that guy, richmond pick"

BRIS - LACHIE VOSS
has the traits to be a long-term player down back as a KPD but will take time, still raw in some areas

ADEL - JEZ MCLENNEN
a pick and play wing/half back

WB - PASS
CARL - PASS

COLL - BRYNN TEAKLE
fits a need right now, but will the want of a longer term contract be a deal breaker?

NTH - RILEY COLLIER-DAWKINS
was a slow burn in his first few years and has always been able to find the ball whichever team he played in, and deserves another chance. Another big bodied mid to help out could be good but may also be a possible future need if they lose LDU

RICH - PASS

BRIS - TREY RUSCOE
Big bodied, mature, been in the system before and playing well this year, averaging about 14 disposals 41/2 marks and 2 goals a game

BRIS- PASS

That's my (probably/most likely completely wrong) guess. :sweatsmile:

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a spot for poor old Phil Brown, he will just have to go back and ply his trade in the Victorian Metropolitan Super Rules League for Williamstown.

Although he did complete a medical, it just wasn't at the request of any AFL clubs. It was from his doctors who were quoted as saying, " men of his age need to start getting regular colon screening tests done".
Phil passed with flying colors and is healthy and well but has yet to be interviewed by a club.

Unlucky this time Phil, but kudos to you, you have made this years draft so much better for being involved you legend!

Disclosure: For those that are unaware, Phil Brown is someone who has nominated for the draft at age 49, turning 50 this year.

Last edited:

NORTH - GEORDIE PAYNE
surely

RICH - REMY MACLEAN
Might have to jump in here if they are interested as he shouldn't last till their next pick, and he is a need, i had Jacob Blight here for all of last week, and still think there is a chance but with balta going back.....who knows

WCE - LUKE BEECKEN

STK - MAX HALL
word is they like him

HAW - WILL MCLACHLAN

BRIS - JACK HUTCHINSON

ADEL - TOBY MURRAY
surely he joins his brother this year and fills a future need as himmelberg has not come on and may not stick around

WB - TRENT BIANCO

G.C - PASS

FREO - MATT LING

CARL - LIAM MCMAHON
big forward who has previous exposure with a professional club and is kicking bags under their noses

COLL - JACOB BLIGHT
did not think i would have blight down so low but the pies would be happy to pounce here, i would think, for a big developing KPD with an advanced frame and still very young

MELB - SAAD EL-HAWLI
This guy is super quick and racking up big disposal numbers as well as mark and tackles for the Bullants, his game improvement with a different role has really jumped out and he has had a big run of consistently good games. My bolter.

PORT - LOGAN EVANS
i think this is their pick, regardless of swinging arms. He is in the system, knows the system and plays good footy

ESS - OSKAR SMARTT

NTH - NOAH HOWES

RICH - ILIRO SMIT
There is a need for a developing ruck, and i only have Iliro here due to whispers, could it be Joe Pike? or another "out of the hat/where did they find that guy, richmond pick"

BRIS - LACHIE VOSS
has the traits to be a long-term player down back as a KPD but will take time, still raw in some areas

ADEL - JEZ MCLENNEN

WB - PASS
CARL - PASS

COLL - BRYNN TEAKLE
fits a need right now, but will the want of a longer term contract be a deal breaker?

was a slow burn in his first few years and has always been able to find the ball whichever team he played in, and deserves another chance. Another big bodied mid to help out could be good but may also be a possible future need if they lose LDU

RICH - PASS

BRIS - TREY RUSCOE
Big bodied, mature, been in the system before and playing well this year, averaging about 14 disposals 41/2 marks and 2 goals a game

BRIS- PASS

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a spot for poor old Phil Brown, he will just have to go back and ply his trade in the Victorian Metropolitan Super Rules League for Williamstown.

Although he did complete a medical, it just wasn't at the request of any AFL clubs. It was from his doctors who were quoted as saying, " men of his age need to start getting regular colon screening tests done".
Phil passed with flying colors and is healthy and well but has yet to be interviewed by a club.

Unlucky this time Phil, but kudos to you, you have made this years draft so much better for being involved you legend!
I like this because I want Smartt a lot.

NORTH - GEORDIE PAYNE
surely

RICH - REMY MACLEAN

WCE - LUKE BEECKEN

STK - MAX HALL
word is they like him

HAW - WILL MCLACHLAN

BRIS - JACK HUTCHINSON

ADEL - TOBY MURRAY

WB - TRENT BIANCO

G.C - PASS

FREO - MATT LING

CARL - LIAM MCMAHON

COLL - JACOB BLIGHT

MELB - SAAD EL-HAWLI

PORT - LOGAN EVANS

ESS - OSKAR SMARTT

NTH - NOAH HOWES

RICH - ILIRO SMIT

BRIS - LACHIE VOSS

ADEL - JEZ MCLENNEN

WB - PASS
CARL - PASS

COLL - BRYNN TEAKLE

RICH - PASS

BRIS - TREY RUSCOE

BRIS- PASS

Disclosure: For those that are unaware, Phil Brown is someone who has nominated for the draft at age 49, turning 50 this year.
Hopefully Ling or isiah winder for freo

June Top 30
June Top 30
  1. Josh Smillie
  2. Finn O'Sullivan
  3. Jagga Smith
  4. Levi Ashcroft
  5. Leo Lombard
  6. Luke Trainor
  7. Taj Hotton
  8. Sid Draper
  9. Christian Moraes
  10. Matt Whitlock
  11. Jobe Shanahan
  12. Jack Whitlock
  13. Tobie Travaglia
  14. Murphy Reid
  15. Harry O'Farrell
  16. Joe Berry
  17. Jonty Faull
  18. Sam Lalor
  19. Tom Gross
  20. Harvey Langford
  21. Ben Camporeale
  22. Lucas Camporeale
  23. Tyler Welsh
  24. Sam Marshall
  25. Harry Oliver
  26. Xavier Lindsay
  27. Bo Allan
  28. Isaac Kako
  29. Alex Dodson
  30. Noah Mraz

Taj Hotton in the range of Saints 1st pick, is he too similar to his brother ? If he's better I suppose it doesn't matter.

Any word on how Boston Everitt & Elwood Peckett are performing ?

I feel like Draper will rise. Injury interrupted year and seems a 'complete' player. Just pure class

I feel like Draper will rise. Injury interrupted year and seems a 'complete' player. Just pure class
from memory this is the lowest ive had draper and its just because he has not got into his groove yet, i expect him to rise also, especially with hotton having done his acl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taj Hotton in the range of Saints 1st pick, is he too similar to his brother ? If he's better I suppose it doesn't matter.

Any word on how Boston Everitt & Elwood Peckett are performing ?
he is better than his brother, unfortunately done his acl and may slide out of first round, who knows, deserves his spot on this list around this position though. peckett has played some good footy and is using the ball well, everitt...no idea if he has even played

Jayden Nguyen a chance to slip through and be a Category B signing?
well, we know all of that depends on how the rest of the champs goes and how he attacks the second half of the coates league, but in my opinion i dont see him (currently) going in the national draft

Do you think Adrian Cole or Lennox Hofman would be worth a list spot?
both are not showing me enough, however, long way to go in the season, but being academy and nga they may get a look in at rookie prelisted?? depending on who else is available in terms of lists needs.

Just wondering why you have Lalor rated late 1st round
is it due to injury and wanting to see when he comes back or based on some weaknesses in his game ?
Absolutely only due to injury and being bereft of games, I just cannot put him up where I think he could possibly end up due to others actually being out there showing their improved games and getting the job done, once he gets out there I believe his game can get him around the 10 mark and maybe higher.

JULY POWER RANKINGS New
JULY POWER RANKINGS

1. Jagga Smith
  2. Josh Smillie
  3. Finn O'Sullivan
  4. Levi Ashcroft
  5. Leo Lombard
  6. Murphy Reid
  7. Sid Draper
  8. Luke Trainor
  9. Tobie Travaglia
  10. Harvey Langford
  11. Bo Allan
  12. Christain Moraes
  13. Sam Lalor
  14. Taj Hotton
  15. Jobe Shanahan
  16. Matt Whitlock
  17. Jack Whitlock
  18. Harry O'Farrell
  19. Isaac Kako
  20. Joe Berry
  21. Tom Gross
  22. Ben Camporeale
  23. Sam Marshall
  24. Jonty Faull
  25. Harry Armstrong
  26. Tyler Welsh
  27. Harry Oliver
  28. Alex Dodson
  29. Kayle Gerreyn
  30. Noah Mraz
And in no order whatsoever, the next group of 40 names
  • Xavier Lindsay
  • Hamish Davis
  • Cooper Hynes (D.Stingrays)
  • Xavier Ivisic
  • Angus Clark
  • Logan Smith
  • Lucas Camporeale
  • Tom Sims
  • Jess Dattoli
  • Malakai Champion
  • Hugh Boxshall
  • Zac Johnson
  • Luke Urquhart
  • Pheonix Hargrave
  • Archer Day-Wicks
  • Patrick Retschko
  • Damon Hollow
  • Kade Herbert
  • Zayden Lockwood
  • Charlie West
  • Josh Murphy
  • Charlie Nicholls
  • Lachie Jacques
  • Jasper Alger
  • Harry Charleson
  • Nathan Sulzberger
  • Josiah Delana
  • Oliver Warburton
  • Joel Cochrane
  • Alix Tauru
  • Benny Barrett
  • Jayden Nguyen
  • Charlie Hoffman
  • Oliver Depaoli-Kubank
  • Nash King
  • Adrian Cole
  • Evan Bradley
  • Cody Angove
  • Austin van der Struyf
  • Clancy Dennis

I have wanted to raise up Harvey Langford and Murphy Reid in the ranking for a while and just wanted to see another game from each before i did it. I was a bit flat after Murphy appeared on Gettable as these rankings and this write up was done but not edited properly before his appearance, in which he mentioned that he models his game around Pendlebury. What i wanted to say was that Murphy screams 'Pendlebury poise' which is an excellent positional attribute to have. His ball use is skillful and efficient, he gets to the right positions and seems to have a foresight like no others in this draft with the upside of kicking goals on the run, from a snap or with an excellent set shot style. Harvey just runs all day long, can win a hard ball and spread, can get involved in the link up play and can extract, he is an effective user of the ball and is so consistent.

Don’t get the hype with Sid Draper at all
Well It is all opinion based, and you are allowed yours. However, to this point in their careers, of the under 18’s, Sid has more accolades than any other player, so there are many others that go to the games and watch them religiously who think the hype is real, and for officials and coaches to award him these accolades they must see something you don’t.
Personally, Sid is a jet. He can win it inside, teleport to the outside of a contest and his ball use is not only smart but effective. He gets involved in the play by play link up and actually does the 1%’s to set team mates free. Can go forward to find the goals and plays a mid/half forward role perfectly. He is a one touch player, is the most agile of this years crop and shows that in games and runs both ways applying defensive pressure and has even improved his tackling this year. Coming back from injury was going to take time but not only has he done that, but he is getting better every game he plays. He has a very high in game IQ, will defend and tackle, win the ball back, link up play and use the ball effectively and hurt teams going the other way. His positional attributes are above and beyond most in this draft class of that position of mid/mid fwd, and those alone have him definitely in the top 5 of those mid/mid fwds this year.

Well It is all opinion based, and you are allowed yours. However, to this point in their careers, of the under 18’s, Sid has more accolades than any other player, so there are many others that go to the games and watch them religiously who think the hype is real, and for officials and coaches to award him these accolades they must see something you don’t.
Personally, Sid is a jet. He can win it inside, teleport to the outside of a contest and his ball use is not only smart but effective. He gets involved in the play by play link up and actually does the 1%’s to set team mates free. Can go forward to find the goals and plays a mid/half forward role perfectly. He is a one touch player, is the most agile of this years crop and shows that in games and runs both ways applying defensive pressure and has even improved his tackling this year. Coming back from injury was going to take time but not only has he done that, but he is getting better every game he plays. He has a very high in game IQ, will defend and tackle, win the ball back, link up play and use the ball effectively and hurt teams going the other way. His positional attributes are above and beyond most in this draft class of that position of mid/mid fwd, and those alone have him definitely in the top 5 of those mid/mid fwds this year.
Draper is one of my favourite players to watch in this age group. A really natural footballer. Silk actually.

Yep. Watch the chains of transition from D50 to F50 during the champs. Gut runs from contest to contest and always provides an option after he’s disposed of the ball. He’s a footballer’s footballer and blokes would love to have him on their team. He’s also very good athletically and would be a reliable pick up by any team with a top 10 selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back