Simon Tunbridge to leave GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Quay Club

All Australian
Oct 9, 2008
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/10894610/dongara-teen-walks-out-on-gws/a

Quote :
"WA teenager Simon Tunbridge has walked out on a promising career with Greater Western Sydney just months away from the Giants' first AFL season.
The Dongara product quit the Giants after a protracted battle against homesickness for much of this year.
Tunbridge, who told his family of his decision to leave the club on Wednesday, is expected to be de-listed within days."

Could be a good pickup in the draft? Looks to have a bit of size and speed on his side and is a marking forward.

Have to know a bit more about why he couldn't cut it. Homesickness is sometimes a cop out for a lack of desire and commitment, especially given he probably would have been given plenty of leave to come back home. It might be that he just doesn't want to put in the hard work required.

Didn't realise Tunbridge had his own thread already. I posted this in the List Management thread...

I'd be telling him to nominate for the PSD, not the National Draft.

Very nice size, and an excellent kick. He is more of a defender than a forward though in my opinion.

Hard to say, what with him playing for GWS this year. So I haven't really looked at him as much.

He is obviously talented, what with being one of the twelve 17 year olds selected. But, Tunbridge isn't a true KPP from what I've seen. He'd be more of a medium defender, sort of in the Chris Newman mould. Not sure if people think that is something we really need, but he has excellent skills, is good above his head and can read the play well as a loose man.

Didn't see much of him this year, so he has maybe grown into more of a KPP now. But it seems he is still that medium sized player. Can play at either end, and did have some good games up forward. But he is a defender for mine.

Have to know a bit more about why he couldn't cut it. Homesickness is sometimes a cop out for a lack of desire and commitment, especially given he probably would have been given plenty of leave to come back home. It might be that he just doesn't want to put in the hard work required.

What more do you need to know? western Sydney is a bum crack of place.
I'm sure more will follow too.

Like Chris mentioned our best shot of getting him would be the PSD. If we took him with our first pick, do you think this would reduce our chances of getting Davis. If so, who would most want?

Isnt this opening the door for all young players to walk out on their club and get picked up by their home state? Surely the bloke would be contracted as well for the 2012 season ruling him out of getting picked up??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Bond should be camped on his doorstep.

We have the chance to pick up what amounts to a top 10 draft pick through the PSD. We would be absolutely crazy not to.

As I see it, this is probably the first chance Freo have ever had to get something for nothing. Every other time we have been screwed.

I would throw everything at him. Forget the draft, let's get the best available. But no one else is going to take him from the PSD before us, you would be crazy to do it knowing he has walked out on GWS to go home. He then falls to us. If the Eagles don't take Davis, and there's no indication that they will, then we pick him up as well.

Turnbridge can have a 10 year career and Davis can fill an immediate need.

This could be a better windfall than Clarke. I will be shattered if we don't move on this kid.

Is he really worth 16 ,Moo? I've not heard anything about him to be honest. I was never a fan of all the "let's just take him in the pre season draft" talk that occurred with Mitch, but this seems like the ideal player to use that pick on. We could really set ourselves up for the future big time if we can use all our first round picks plus getting a first round talent in the preseason draft.
I liked snoops suggestion on the mock draft board. Take key defenders with our first two picks and a midfielder with 29. The pies did this in one draft not long ago and are reaping the rewards now. We could set up out defense for years to come through one draft period.

If he is anything like his old man and grandfather he has a fair bit of growing and a LOT of filling out to do. They are both 195cm+ and 100kgs.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he becomes a standout KPD.

I know the boy well, and he is fantastic person, and he CAN play.:thumbsu:

Outstanding family with a long football pedigree.

He NEVER wanted to go to Sydney in the first place and it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Mr. Bond. Get this kid on our list.

Tunbridge was probably one of the more unheralded 17 year old selections by GWS. Hard to say where they would go in this draft, considering they were with the Giants this year. But I'd say Tunbridge would maybe be around the 25-30 mark. Which is why I would love for us to tell him to go the PSD - so we can keep our first three picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Tunbridge to leave GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back