Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy is not so definitive.

It wasn’t long ago that you couldn’t have convinced a Collingwood supporter that Brodie Grundy wouldn’t be a one club player. Of course people conveniently forget they ever felt that way and will instead conjure up reasons why it was obvious to them why he was destined to go.

Ditto Collingwood’s first native rising star Jayden Stephenson.

Ditto Travis Cloke.

Do I want Pendlebury to go elsewhere? No
Do I think he will go elsewhere? No idea
Do I think it is possible he will go elsewhere? Absolutely!
They are three of the worst comparisons imaginable

It wasn’t long ago that you couldn’t have convinced a Collingwood supporter that Brodie Grundy wouldn’t be a one club player. Of course people conveniently forget they ever felt that way and will instead conjure up reasons why it was obvious to them why he was destined to go.

Ditto Travis Cloke.

Did you really just put Pendles, one of, if not THE greatest Collingwood player ever, in some type of loyalty category with Grundy, Stephenson 😆 & a Cloke ?

I think Kornes was right, 8 weeks ago Pendlebury looked past it. He was playing for frees, which decent players don’t do (they don’t need to do) and he wasn’t impacting games. He’s playing great footy now.
So even though Pendles clearly wasn't past it, you think Kane was right in his belief that he was past it, because you also had that belief? Have you considered Option B - you were both wrong?

Did you really just put Pendles, one of, if not THE greatest Collingwood player ever, in some type of loyalty category with Grundy, Stephenson 😆 & a Cloke ?

Neither Grundy nor Stephenson left Collingwood because of any lack of loyalty?

Pendlebury hasn’t always raced to sign contracts - his previous one wasn’t signed until 4 weeks before it expired.

So even though Pendles clearly wasn't past it, you think Kane was right in his belief that he was past it, because you also had that belief? Have you considered Option B - you were both wrong?

A player being past it (I have no idea, maybe the player is carrying an injury?) is not the same thing as a player looking past it (Pendles certainly did look past it early season).

We’re all happy (maybe not Kane) that he turned it around.

A player being past it (I have no idea, maybe the player is carrying an injury?) is not the same thing as a player looking past it (Pendles certainly did look past it early season).

We’re all happy (maybe not Kane) that he turned it around.
There is no definitive past it look. It's an interpretation. You and Kane made a hasty incorrect interpretation of things you saw.

Neither Grundy nor Stephenson left Collingwood because of any lack of loyalty?

Pendlebury hasn’t always raced to sign contracts - his previous one wasn’t signed until 4 weeks before it expired.
So why did you even mention Grundy or Stephenson in your post when talking about Pendles?

And what does it matter when Pendles signs his contract? If he knows he's staying, it makes no difference when he signs it.

I don't know what you're trying to imply with your posts about Pendles. It's weird.

So why did you even mention Grundy or Stephenson in your post when talking about Pendles?

And what does it matter when Pendles signs his contract? If he knows he's staying, it makes no difference when he signs it.

I don't know what you're trying to imply with your posts about Pendles. It's weird.

Just suggesting that we shouldn’t be shocked / stunned / aghast / tossing our toys out of the cot / wailing inconsolably IF Pendles ends up finishing up at another club, because as much as we couldn’t possibly conceive how it could be even possible …

… it most certainly is possible. Stranger things have happened.

Cui bono?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just suggesting that we shouldn’t be shocked / stunned / aghast / tossing our toys out of the cot / wailing inconsolably IF Pendles ends up finishing up at another club, because as much as we couldn’t possibly conceive how it could be even possible …

Cui bono?
You've gone from "it would seem best for him to do a Sam Mitchell and go play somewhere else to experience a different environment" to "we shouldn't be shocked..."

I think you should walk back the point entirely

You've gone from "it would seem best for him to do a Sam Mitchell and go play somewhere else to experience a different environment" to "we shouldn't be shocked..."

The latter presupposes that the former is possible (even quite likely).

Putting the emotions of Collingwood aside …

… if you had care and interest in the professional development of somebody, wouldn’t you be advising them to get as much broad experience as possible? I know I’ve received and taken that advice countless times.

… if you had care and interest in the professional development of somebody, wouldn’t you be advising them to get as much broad experience as possible? I know I’ve received and taken that advice countless times.
What professional development is there in playing elsewhere? Especially when that comes at the cost of the professional development of all the other Collingwood players

Were you ever advised that not every thought needs to be heard?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ditto Travis Cloke.

Mick Mcguane to Carlton

As a coach, sure, as a player… I doubt he’d want to dilute his legacy by farting around at another club for a season or two. He’s already under the coach considered to be the best in the business, where is he going to go? Play under Clarkson at North for a year? Gold Coast under Hardwick who essentially runs the same system as McRae?

Cui bono?
You might not be shocked if he played at another club.

I would be.

He turned down big money from GWS to stay at Collingwood many years ago when he most likely had much less money in his bank account

Yeah, I could imagine how that conversation would have gone down:

Scott: Hi Honey, how do you feel about moving to Sydney?

Alex: Bondi?

Scott: Nah, not that Sydney team, the other one. It’d be Strathfield, Rydalmere,
maybe Parramatta.

Alex: Why would we move there?

Scott: GWS are offering $1 million compared with Collingwood $700K

Alex: What’s the difference after tax?

Scott: About $180K

Alex: You want to move our young family away from our support network to Western Sydney for $180K?!?

Yeah, I could imagine how that conversation would have gone down:

Scott: Hi Honey, how do you feel about moving to Sydney?

Alex: Bondi?

Scott: Nah, not that Sydney team, the other one. It’d be Strathfield, Rydalmere,
maybe Parramatta.

Alex: Why would we move there?

Scott: GWS are offering $1 million compared with Collingwood $700K

Alex: What’s the difference after tax?

Scott: About $180K

Alex: You want to move our young family away from our support network to Western Sydney for $180K?!?
Is that why Bailey Smith wants out ? Doesn’t like the Footscray area ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back