Saverio Rocca will play one more season

Remove this Banner Ad

benno87

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2003
London
AFL Club
North Melbourne
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/09/03/1125302784758.html

Kangaroos to stick with Rocca for another season
By Samantha Lane
September 4, 2005

THE Kangaroos have decided to re-sign veteran spearhead Saverio Rocca on a one-year deal next season, meaning the 31-year-old will embark on a 15th AFL season.

The new deal will not be settled until the Roos' finals campaign is complete, but Rocca said that coach Dean Laidley had indicated he was a "wanted" player.

Though written off more than once in the past, Rocca's ability to combine with Nathan Thompson in the second half of this season, as well as produce the occasional match-winning performance, will earn him a fourth consecutive one-year contract at Arden Street.

"I've spoken to Dean and I said, 'am I wanted next year?', and he said, 'if you want to play on next year, yeah, you can'. But he said that you need to perform as well, if you're not performing then you'll go back, as you did mid-year, and play twos and they can give someone else a go," Rocca said on the lead-in to today's elimination final. "I've been told that I'm able to play next year, so at the end of the year I'll just make sure in myself that I want to go on."

Despite periodic lapses over the past two seasons — Rocca had a mid-year stint in the VFL this year and spent the opening seven rounds of 2004 playing for Port Melbourne — he has never doubted his ability to play at senior level.

Rocca kicked his 700th career goal in April, becoming only the 18th player in history to do so, and last week enjoyed a five-goal second half in the Kangaroos' defeat of Carlton. "I've never ever felt that I'd be finished in the near future. I reckon I can play another year, hopefully two, depending on (how) next year goes," he said.

"My mind, I reckon, is pretty fresh and I certainly think I'm still enthusiastic and still got improvement in me … probably (with) second efforts and fitness I can probably get a little bit better, and I certainly think that at times this year my goalkicking has actually let me down. So I reckon I can become more accurate in a goalkicking sense."

Rocca was Collingwood's leading goalkicker between 1993-1999, but was axed by the Magpies after Mick Malthouse's first season at the club. He relocated to Arden Street and played two seasons under Denis Pagan, before Laidley took over as Roos coach in 2003.

Rocca led the Kangaroos' goalkicking in 2001, 2002 and 2004, and is trailing Thompson this season with 41 majors.

He has suffered from Achilles tendonitis over the past couple of seasons, but has successfully managed the condition.

With Chad Jones spending a lot of time with medical staff and Hamish McIntosh still developing to handle the pace and big bodies of senior football, I have no problem with Saverio Rocca signing what would be close to a minimum salary 1-year deal.

41 goals this season, with another forward kicking 50, how could Dean say no?

91 goals between sav and nathan is all we could of asked, and if they can crack the 100 next season it will be a really good effort, glad sav is staying for another year..

Interesting to note Dean Laidley mentioned the younger players coming through, when talking to Rocca. I'm sure the club will really be pulling for Chad Jones and Hamish McIntosh to become senior players to some extent next year. You'd imagine this would be the same time Saverio Rocca comes down, but then again if he's kicking goals, and we're winning football games, well it's a winning formula.

Dingster said:
Congrats to Sav on earning another contract and a great decision by the club. He's been fantastic both on the field and off.

Couldn't agree more Ding, well done Sav. 1 even 2 years will further develop Chad,Hamish and even Shore (hopefully) to push for a KPP up forward.
Lets hope Mrs Sav can further add to the 2025 side with a RooBoy.

Cheers all.

Well done to Sav

I remember sitting in the Railway Hotel in Richmond watching the draft when we picked him up and p1ssing myself that we could be so stupid.

He has surpassed my expectations on the field every year since, and has become the Shinboner type leader and clubman that I didn't believe he was capable of. If he plays on next year I hope it is on the expectation that he fights for his place, and if if he is not in our best 22 he will play in the VFL. I expect he will have no problem with that, and it would be no surprise to me if he consistently wins that fight for his spot in the first team.

Rocca was Collingwood's leading goalkicker between 1993-1999, but was axed by the Magpies after Mick Malthouse's first season at the club.
Poor old Collingwood have been desperate to find a new full forward ever since.
eee15fac.jpg

Picture of Eddie out looking for another big Sav.

steveo1010 said:
91 goals between sav and nathan is all we could of asked, and if they can crack the 100 next season it will be a really good effort, glad sav is staying for another year..
I hope they kick 100 each :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Saverio Rocca will play one more season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back