Preview Round 4 vs Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: We should throw next week.

This is my preview, I'm trying to be as impartial as possible, Carlton fans, please highlight my main mistakes on your list, as I don't know the list fantastically unfortunately.

Carlton vs Essendon (14/04/2012):

Observations:
Carlton: Had a pre-season from hell. They lacked form, looked out of sorts and didn’t look like the team they wanted to be. Then the real stuff started and they look like world beaters. They’ve had three very good wins over Richmond, Brisbane and their arch-rivals Collingwood. Carlton’s forward line looks unstoppable, and their midfield is currently the best in the AFL. There’s no doubt that they’re finally going to be considered a contender, and with Betts, Yarran, Murphy and Judd running riot Carlton are a big chance.

Essendon: Have limped to three wins and 0 losses, all tight against three teams they’d be expected to account for fairly easily in North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Gold Coast. They’ve had a Pre-Season bulking up, with high intensity training. This has come at a cost however, Hird admitting that this may have contributed to the soft-tissue injuries Essendon have been getting in the first 3 rounds. Essendon will go into this game without first 22 players in Myers, Dempsey, Colyer, Winderlich, Lovett-Murray and Hille, so expect a lower output from certain areas in this side.

Head-to-Head (last 5) : Carlton 3- Essendon 1 (1 draw)

Form:

Essendon: W-W-W

Carlton: W-W-W

Odds (forecasted by me because the forecasting website sucks) Carlton $1.85 Essendon $1.99
Possible Teams:

Carlton:
B: Laidler-Jamison-Duigan
HB: Yarran-Henderson-Scotland
C: Gibbs-Judd-Simpson
HF: Betts-Waite-Garlett
F: Robinson-Hampson-Walker
R: Kruezer-Murphy-Carrazzo
I: Tuohy-Armfield-Curnow
S: Lucas

Essendon:
B: Fletcher-Pears-Hardingham
HB: Dempsey-Hooker-Hibberd
C: Zaharakis-Watson-Heppell
HF: Monfries-Hurley-Davey
F: Crameri-Ryder-Jetta
R: Bellchambers-Hocking-Stanton
I: Howlett-Dyson-Davis
S: Melksham

Key Match-Ups:

Chris Judd vs Jobe Watson: Watson has been his prolific best over the past 3 games, getting the hard ball and giving Essendon’s runners a chance to get the pill and deliver it forward. He’s been shadowed by the way Stanton has dominated the first 2 games, but was shown to be Essendon’s best midfielder against the Suns on Saturday night. Judd has been Judd. He has gotten the clearances, and then spreading from the contest fantastically. People say Murphy has surpassed him, but he’s still been awesome in the middle

Michael Hibberd vs Eddie Betts: Hibberd has probably been the most unnoticed of the Essendon defenders at the start of the year. He’s also been one of the best. He’s proven to be the man who not only locks down the opponent’s small forwards, but the guy who cuts off opposition attacks, and his kicking has been very good as well. Betts has been a livewire as usual, dominating Morris, McGrath and O’Brien in his first 3 games. This should be an interesting clash, and I hope for Essendon’s sake Hibberd comes out on top

Lachie Henderson vs Michael Hurley: Hurley has been in poor form in the first 3 weeks, other than small bursts showing what he can do for Essendon. Henderson has done well, blanketing the dangerous Vickery, Merrett and the premier Centre Half-Forward of the AFL in Travis Cloke. This match-up will be arguably the most important for the game, because Hurley is Essendon’s barometer, when he’s up, Essendon are up, when he’s down, Essendon are down
Keys for each team:

Essendon:
• Limit Judd and Murphy. They’re too good to be let off the leash, and are probably the midfield duo in the AFL right now
• Kick accurately- Essendon wasted good chances in the forward line in every game. Will want to improve heavily in that regard
• Spread from the contest. Carlton’s midfield spread is one of the best in the AFL, Essendon need to be able to shut that down

Carlton:
• Stop Hurley. He’s the lynchpin of the Essendon forward line. If you’re able to stop him, Essendon’s forward structure is usually found a bit short.
• Dominate the ruck. Kruezer looks like he’ll be a dominant ruckman right now, make him keep it up against Bellchambers and Ryder, one of the best h/o to advantage pair in the league
• Win the contested ball. Carlton’s spread is nigh on elite, and if they do win the contested footy, it’ll make their spread unstoppable

Summary:

Essendon are in a good spot being 3-0, but have struggled to find some good form recently. The midfield has done fairly well, but the delivery to the forwards has been a little poor. The multitudes of injuries are tough on the playing group, but they’ve always managed to find a way to win.

Carlton is currently one of the form sides in the AFL along with West Coast. They’ve got a balanced forward line, a balanced midfield and a balanced defence. Carlton’s minimal injuries help them, and they look like a side that will be a real contender in 2012.

Tip: Carlton is playing excellent football. Essendon is playing average football. In this game that doesn’t matter a lot because they bring out the best in each other. It’s still hard to go past the class of Judd and Murphy. Carlton by 9

Please lets move on from the game tonight.

The Blues looked bloody impressive last night, are they the real deal or did they take advantage of an injury riddled Collingwood ?

I'm scared of Murphy and Betts

They're in ripping form, but did play a severely depleted Pies outfit.

We are not in good form at all.

We have the talent to beat them, but the coaching will need to be spot on and the players will need to be switched on to pull it off.

We keep getting carved up by teams out the back - Gold Coast would have won tonight if they'd been cleaner in those situations. Carlton is arguably the best side at getting goals out the back - they'll smash us if we don't tighten up significantly.

That said, we're a different side in Melbourne. Always a chance against Carlton.

Will have more players missing next week - Dempsey and possible Melksham, and Carlisle (Both look to be carrying injuries).

Hate to say it but Carlton are a better side than us, if they get in front early they will run away with it easily.

Why are you saying Dempsey won't play next week?

Do you know something we don't? My understanding is that he had tightness and they decided to rest him based on the knee recovery, but that he seemed to run okay at quarter time.

Please don't just go throwing around statements that he won't play next week if you don't know it for a fact.

/rant.

We will be mauled on exposed form but every week is a new chance for the bombers and hopefully we make a good fist of it.

I am pained to say it but I finally think the Scum are top 4 material and we are probably still a year or two away.

I'm hoping for a good game and just ONE TIME no injuries and hopefully we snatch an upset win somehow!

Murphy, Judd, Gibbs, Betts, Yarran, Kruezer, Carrazzo, Simpson all scare me..

Do you know something we don't? My understanding is that he had tightness and they decided to rest him based on the knee recovery, but that he seemed to run okay at quarter time.

Please don't just go throwing around statements that he won't play next week if you don't know it for a fact.

/rant.

Larkins rekons he'll miss 2-3 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're in worse form than Collingwood and have a bigger injury list (8 soft tissue injuries in 3 games?). Lucky we don't have any season ending injuries *touch wood that remains the same*.

First time I can ever recall being seriously worried about playing Carlton. If we dish up what we did tonight then we'll get pounded by 12-15 goals.

/rant.

My understanding was that it is a strain.

Dr Larkin said 2-3 weeks.

That's what I'm basing my statement on.

Lovett Murray was running fine after he did his hammy last week so that means stuff all.

We're in worse form than Collingwood and have a bigger injury list (8 soft tissue injuries in 3 games?). Lucky we don't have any season ending injuries *touch wood that remains the same*.

First time I can ever recall being seriously worried about playing Carlton. If we dish up what we did tonight then we'll get pounded by 12-15 goals.

But but the AFL sub rule reduces injuries.... :eek:

I would also like to formally blame Godzke should we get a season ending injuring before or during the Carlton game.

Hooker and McVeigh will come in, which is a positive after how Carlisle and Reimers played. (dunno why Carlisle played). Hopefully Dempsey can play, but probably unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back