Preview Round 15 2024 – GWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, Saturday June 22, 4.35pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A few snippets from that story in respect of selections:

(re: Sam Taylor) "We'd prefer to have him there. But we also feel we've got the players to cover. (Jack) Buckley's been in good form, Leek Aleer's also come into the side. Last week we were pretty tall down there so we've got the people to cover it."

Taylor's absence will be alleviated by the near-certain return of Lachie Ash to provide extra drive out of defence while star onballer Stephen Coniglio trained well and remains a chance to play but is more likely to come back from a shoulder injury next week, away to Adelaide.

An interesting selection quandary for the Giants coaching staff surrounds former No.1 pick Aaron Cadman, who has managed only four goals and five marks in his past five games. There is pressure on his spot from marking forward Max Gruszewski who has been starring in the VFL. "It'll be an interesting discussion. Aaron (Cadman) brings so many strengths to the table, he may not have had the perfect month but he provides a target for us and is certainly good on the ground," Hart said. "Max has been in strong form and he competes really hard so yeah, one of those two."

The Giants still feel their best can match their rivals and anyone else on their day but having won just three of their past eight games, including a recent 29-point defeat to Sydney, there are doubts as to whether they're ready for the ultimate scalp in the AFL just yet. "There's been a change in the last couple weeks I think in the way we've been feeling, the way we've been training, the way we've been playing," said Hart.

Last edited:
So, a little chat about a possibility of a Gruzewski debut in place of Cadman, no-one else (so no Fonti in the backline, for example). Expect Ash back, unsure on Cumming - no mention of him & he only played limited VFL minutes last week - so I'd probably not expect him. But we have two backline gaps to fill - Taylor and Haynes, so Ash needs a buddy, possibly Wehr to return? Or we bring in a mid or forward rotation such as McMullin or Peatling instead.

So, thinking it might be:

Idun Aleer HH
Ash Buckley Whitfield
Callaghan Kelly Angwin
Greene Riccardi Brown
Daniels Hogan Thomas
Briggs Green Bedford

Wehr XOH Ward Cadman (or Gruzewski)

McMullin or Peatling (or swap McMullin/Peatling for Wehr)

I reckon Cumming is a pretty underrated player and adds a lot of value to the team. Great overhead and one of our better field kicks. Think they may give him another week in the VFL though.
cumming if fit is a very good player.
I reckon he will need to play another couple games in the 2's given the length of time out.

I hope Cogs plays.
I wonder if Derkson is a chance to come in with both Taylor and Haynes out. I suspect not, Aleer, Himmelberg and Buckley is tall enough down there and we will go with Ash and another small/mid given they aren't overly tall down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And in case all that wasn't bad enough, the forecast is now showing 22mm of rain for Saturday.
Going to Newcastle for a birthday pub crawl and then maybe or maybe not making it back for the game.

The rain doesn't help with either. :(

Lachie Ash, James Peatling, Max Gruzewski (debut) in for Saturday.

Squad:

FB: Connor Idun, Jack Buckley, Harry Himmelberg
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Leek Aleer, Lachie Ash
C: Ryan Angwin, Tom Green, Xavier O'Halloran
HF: Brent Daniels, Max Gruzewski, Toby Bedford
FF: toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Harvey Thomas
RR: Kieren Briggs, Finn Callaghan, Josh Kelly

Interchange: James Peatling, Callan Ward, Callum Brown, Jake Riccardi, Toby McMullin

In: Lachie Ash, James Peatling, Max Gruzewski (debut)
Out: Sam Taylor, Nick Haynes (injured), Aaron Cadman (omitted)

Emergency: Harry Rowston, Jacob Wehr, Lachlan Keeffe

I'd suggest the sub would be one of the 2 forwards.

Now which one Riccardi or Brown.........

I'd go Riccardi for sub due to Brown's superior athleticism.

Seemed a pretty enthusiastic reception to the announcement of Gru's debut. Although, a slightly downcast Aaron Cadman perhaps? Realisation that presumably he will get dropped.
You can't blame him. Pick #22 replacing pick #1.That would hurt.

Gruzewski earned his start because he's demonstrated consistent work-rate. We need that more than anything else to beat the Swans.

And there was real energy at the announcement. That won't hurt either.

You can't blame him. Pick #22 replacing pick #1.That would hurt.

Gruzewski earned his start because he's demonstrated consistent work-rate. We need that more than anything else to beat the Swans.

And there was real energy at the announcement. That won't hurt either.
Cadmans played more games across his first year and a half than almost any key forward… including Logan McDonald.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back