Toast Round 14 = North Melbourne 118-119 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

About that non 50 metre penalty call. The mistake the umpire made was he didn't call it play on because the north player immediately ran off his line. The Collingwood players had every right to tackle the north player because the umpire didn't blow the whistle and call it a mark, otherwise the Collingwood players would have backed off. The haters can cry all they want but that incident didn't have any bearing on the game. If anything, the umpire should have call it play on and McReery would have stuck his tackle and got HTB free and the game would have been over.

Phillips has been playing 2s and wasn't even playing until Sunday morning. Huge ask to throw him against a gut running Naicos and a credit to him that he slowed Nick down for 3 quarters. Not really a surprise if he did really blow up.

Yeah i don't buy for a second that Phillips didn't know he was playing, and that he didn't know he was tagging Naicos. And it did a solid job for a half but Naicos gave him an early bath in the 3rd term.

Jon Ralph, Sam Edmund, the list goes on. They're all a pack of campaigners.

I watched that midweek show the other week with Lauren Wood, Ralph and Landsberger (I think he was the third person)

Ralph talked way too much. He thinks he is an expert on every club and every topic. Was unwatchable.

Jon Ralph, Sam Edmund, the list goes on. They're all a pack of campaigners.
His take is bizarre.
So because the umpire knowingly made a mistake in not calling play on, he should then call a 50m penalty knowing that the pies players didn’t deserve to be penalised?

This is the twisted logic the whole AFL community is using right now, that instead of trying to fix his own error the umpire should have made two wrong decisions instead…

How does afl head office view the constant criticism of the umpiring fraternity The umps would be rightly aggrieved with having their every decision scrutinised and be the nexus of endless debate The afl need to make a stand here as a show of support for their employees and bring the media into line

How does afl head office view the constant criticism of the umpiring fraternity The umps would be rightly aggrieved with having their every decision scrutinised and be the nexus of endless debate The afl need to make a stand here as a show of support for their employees and bring the media into line
Even more bizarrely, it seems it's only the last decision in a close game which deserves to be scrutinised/explained.

His take is bizarre.
So because the umpire knowingly made a mistake in not calling play on, he should then call a 50m penalty knowing that the pies players didn’t deserve to be penalised?

This is the twisted logic the whole AFL community is using right now, that instead of trying to fix his own error the umpire should have made two wrong decisions instead…
I hate dissent 50s for that reason. Most of the time it's a player losing his shit because the umpire ****ed up which then results in an extra penalty.

The AFL is their own worst enemy. Countless rule changes on the fly. For them to defend the umpires, they would have to admit that all the rule changes have made it impossible for the umpires to do their job effectively. They will stand on their sword rather than admitting that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell that to the Channel 7 commentary team! :rolleyes:
At the time Riewoldt said it was the right thing to do by Clarko! Later on he backtracked, probably because of the prevailing opinions in the box.

Phillips was absolutely gassed. Fair enough too there’s only a few players who could go toe to toe with Naicos for 4 quarters

About that non 50 metre penalty call. The mistake the umpire made was he didn't call it play on because the north player immediately ran off his line. The Collingwood players had every right to tackle the north player because the umpire didn't blow the whistle and call it a mark, otherwise the Collingwood players would have backed off. The haters can cry all they want but that incident didn't have any bearing on the game. If anything, the umpire should have call it play on and McReery would have stuck his tackle and got HTB free and the game would have been over.
Spot on! All the hater's in the media just can't stop banging on about, we got away with murder decision. FM!

Not nearly enough has been said about Nick Daicos leaving training early due to illness and the coaches having the word to Ed Allan that he could potentially call in sick on the Sunday morning. In fact, has anyone mentioned that? I'm starting to think I imagined Fly's post game presser.

Nope it happened. We’ll call it “the flu game”.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At the time Riewoldt said it was the right thing to do by Clarko! Later on he backtracked, probably because of the prevailing opinions in the box.

Phillips was absolutely gassed. Fair enough too there’s only a few players who could go toe to toe with Naicos for 4 quarters

A 10 year player in ANB could go with him for full game because he's a freak runner. Naicos just manipulated his positioning so his brother and Crispy could have a day out.

A 3rd year player in Phillips didn't stand a chance in hell and Naicos put the team on his back after half time.

anyone else feel like they're being gaslit on this 50m issue? Like absolutely EVERYONE seems to see it the same way except Collingwood supporters.

We see it correctly. He played on, Steele and McCreery instinctively went to tackle, because they were reading the play. We hear one umpire call play on.

ALSO, even with a 50m penalty, they still had to kick a goal. There was no guarantee.

I'm so over hearing about it! Move on already rest of the footy world!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 14 = North Melbourne 118-119 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back