Rnd 4 - West Coast vs Hawthorn - Gameday Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So, you bring a guy in whose primary asset is that he can run all day and spread all day and be a link man all day because of his elite tank, and you sit him on the bench for 2 or 3 quarters??? :confused:
Doesnt make sense but I would still rather Gaff played more gametime than Dalziell. We have enough workhorse midfielders in the team.

So, you bring a guy in whose primary asset is that he can run all day and spread all day and be a link man all day because of his elite tank, and you sit him on the bench for 2 or 3 quarters??? :confused:
And this genuinely surprises you? We've had 4 years to get used to the $hitiness of our Team Selections.

The way to look at it is its Gaff in for McGinnity which is a good thing. The sub isnt really that important as long as they can play in the midfield.

would rather have gaff as sub.

as E87 said, dalziell's strength is to run all day. yet we're only going to play him for part of the game. what's the point?

would rather having someone with class (gaff) come on and really shine.

although gaff is known for his endurance, so hopefully it pays off.

The way to look at it is its Gaff in for McGinnity which is a good thing. The sub isnt really that important as long as they can play in the midfield.

So why not use the sub to play Weedon (for example) and give him a taste of it and see a little of what he has?

Strikes me as a bloke much more likely to impact a game in bursts than Dalziell.

Just an odd selection decision in amongst a plethora of odd selection decisions.

So why not use the sub to play Weedon (for example) and give him a taste of it and see a little of what he has?

Strikes me as a bloke much more likely to impact a game in bursts than Dalziell.

Just an odd selection decision in amongst a plethora of odd selection decisions.
I think they picked Dalziel because his WAFL form has been good and couldnt be ignored. I'd much rather him play a quarter at the end of the game than have him spudding it up for the whole game. He may actually prove ok in this scenario.

I think they picked Dalziel because his WAFL form has been good and couldnt be ignored. I'd much rather him play a quarter at the end of the game than have him spudding it up for the whole game. He may actually prove ok in this scenario.

i cant see the logic in this post.

so he's in good wafl form, we want him in the side...but dont want him playing an entire game because he's a spud. but he'll prove handy being a spud for one quarter?

There's the risk though that Weedon would have to come in early due to an injury and then not have the tank to run out the game.

Shep's in Tassie, he would have made a pretty good sub. Can run and link up Gaff style, with the added bonus that he could fill in in defense if necessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i really think someone with pace is a must for the sub. it really makes them standout even more amongst the tired players. gaff isn't exactly blistering, but he was quick enough.

shep would've been great on the outside for the second half. add to that he can kick.

i cant see the logic in this post.

so he's in good wafl form, we want him in the side...but dont want him playing an entire game because he's a spud. but he'll prove handy being a spud for one quarter?
Ok to explain. I dont like Dalziel and would rather him not in the team at all. But he has been racking up possesions in the WAFL so he has put himself up for selection even though I dont think he brings anything to the team. Woosha has selected him but probably feels he is the 22th ranked player so gets the sub position.

When I said he may prove ok in that scenario I was referring to the opposition being tired so Dalziells run may be of some use.

Further on the sub - it does seem that coaches are trying various options to see what works.

However what in the short time so far that seems to work is quick wingers/half forward who can stand out (Gaff, ROhan, Davenport.

The problem for clubs is - if these sorts of blokes are already best 21 - do you want to limit their impact for the whole game? (Not specific to WC)

Personally think this would have been a great opportunity for Shepp - gain some confidence by coming on late and having it over his opponents. Would have also been an opp to get him further up the ground

good luck eagles...look like the weather gods are smiling on you...the one time it doesnt rain in Tassie..worse luck ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rnd 4 - West Coast vs Hawthorn - Gameday Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back