Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought exactly the same SR, but i am a fan too. Somewhere in there is a solid to good AFL player that will, probably, gradually continue to emerge. Needs to nail a position within our game and list structure.

I recall you and I have nailed HH and Joe R as displaying AFL traits from some shabby standard VFL games but i reckon Reef has been a slow burn in showing he has something across 20 odd games at the much higher level than the other guys.
The problem he's got at the moment is that most of the opportunities he gets in our AFL forward line will be as a tall - when he's more of an Elliott type - hit up on the lead, provide a contest and ground level stuff with the occasional contested mark. He's not going to succeed wrestling in packs when we bomb it long to the big boys. We're not going to create space for him to play his best role if Elliott and Hill are fit. It's a shame that Elliott out coincided with Checkers out, so he didn't get to play a more suitable role.

I reckon he’s developing well. The big question mark early on was his tank if I recall. Physically he’s quite strong and competes well one on one given he’s asked to play on more solidly built players often with way more experience, as was the case on the weekend. My guess would be that we want him to keep the speed not take it away. Height taken by itself is such an overrated metric even in inches😜

Reef's tank is developing and so is his strength. In earlier games he was easily outbodied whereas more recently he has begun to hold his own. He has a long way to go to be able to outbody others but he has the potential. The trick will be to balance all those traits and maintain his speed and agility.
We should all remember that when recruited he had some back injuries that would have undoubtedly hampered his development. He is still very young and will continue to develop. He is well worth persisting with...

He played well too. Great contest and ground wins
Some nice moments but continues to do all the hard work in marking contests and then drops the mark. Fumbly at times. He needs to make every post a winner to become a regular member of the side. He does have the happy knack of kicking around the corner goals or snaps when he plays in the seniors.

Some nice moments but continues to do all the hard work in marking contests and then drops the mark. Fumbly at times. He needs to make every post a winner to become a regular member of the side. He does have the happy knack of kicking around the corner goals or snaps when he plays in the seniors.
He definitely likes a snap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back