Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port vs Geelong Predictions

hi everyone, thought i'd do a little preview on the upcoming game against Geelong. Perhaps Sticky this??

Teams:
df4d849975.jpg

Key Matchups
michael_pettigrew_230173_l.jpg
steve_johnson_220054_l.jpg

Steve Johnson killed our defense on Grand Final day. Pettigrew will probably match up on him, and will need to spoil and make every attempt to restrict him from goals and earn it.

shaun_burgoyne_210012_l.jpg
cameron_ling_200037_l.jpg

Ling will be tagging our most explosive midfielder. Shaun needs to break him off whether it'd be outsmarting/outrunning him, or relying on team mates to break the tag, he must do it if we were to win this game. Expect Shaun to also try to drag Ling into our forward 50.

warren_tredrea_970120_l.jpg
matthew_scarlett_980037_l.jpg

Tredrea finally has a preseason lodged into him in what? 2 years? Looked very good in the NAB Cup games... but so did 07 All-Australian defender Scarlett who will probably go on him. Beat him Tredders.

Last Meeting: Grand Final, 2007
44-163 Geelong thumping
Geelong won their first flag in 44 years
The Cats dominated the game on all grounds.
Steve Johnson won the Norm Smith, kicking 4 goals.
Chad Cornes, Peter Burgoyne, Kane Cornes were among the Power's best.
A game to forget.

Port Adelaide Power:
Had a very good season and shocked many by finishing 2nd.
Had 3 players in the 2007 All-Australian team.
Troy Chaplin has been left out due to match fitness, and has been replaced with Paul Stewart who will make his debut.
Dean Brogan hurt his stomach in training but will play.
Michael Wilson is out with his Achilles and is ongoing assessment.

Keys to Winning:
Play 4 decent quarters of good football.
Don't let any Grand Final pressure get the better of the players.
Look to fill the hole of Wake's experience in defense.
Treat the game like any other premiership round games, regardless of the opponent.

Preseason:
W Fremantle
W Collingwood
L Sydney
L Carlton

Geelong Cats:
Finished 1st in 2007.
Won their first flag in 44 years in a very dominant season.
Had 9 players in the 2007 All-Australian team, as well as coach Mark Thompson.
Joel Selwood won the NAB Rising Star.
Premiership player Nathan Ablett unexpectedly took a leave from football for personal reasons.
Traded premiership player and captain Steven King to the Saints.
Matthew Egan is out with Navicular.
Wojinski is out with a finger injury.
Rooke is out with a strained calf, and has been replaced by Gamble.
Ottens is out with an ankle injury, and has been replaced by Trent West.

Preseason:
W Richmond
L Saints
W Melbourne

ODDS (TAB):
Port $2.25
Geelong $1.58

Post thoughts, matchup, game discussion, and live scores here.

Don't we already have one of these threads?

What's the stgart time of the game on thursday, as unable to access the info on the club's website, as the page is loading with errors:rolleyes:

8.15pm according to my not-so-riddled with errors Port web page.

8.15pm according to my not-so-riddled with errors Port web page.

Ford, o'font of all knowledge :D- I am o/s and will not get back until the day after the Geelong game (bugger) - I am a techno failure - do you (or anyone else) know how I can get to watch the game via the web?

Being competitive would suit me.

A second flogging would be unacceptable - akin to the double-slam of Essendon (03 SF/04 R1) that set the tone for their ultimate decline as a club.

Ford, o'font of all knowledge :D- I am o/s and will not get back until the day after the Geelong game (bugger) - I am a techno failure - do you (or anyone else) know how I can get to watch the game via the web?

Fortunately we've had this question asked, as you've hit the boundaries of my computer capacity. If any of our more computer savvy users have any other advice (Predator? - computer savvy and overseas) feel free to post. I assume the torrents advice (which we do not condone) is no use to you as you'll be back by then.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339369&highlight=overseas

ash_78 said:
Whatever you do, DON'T take the broadband subscription as it blacks out AFL games- which to me is a f***ing disgrace. It's presumably a Foxtel directive and all it really does is wrongly deprive overseas Aussies from watching games, and prevent a potential new market from accessing our game.

Go to their website for more details.

One other option is to download Sopcast which (legally) streams various tv feeds from around the world. Network 10 have put their feed up, so you'll get 1 or 2 live games that way. Unfortunately it's the Sydney channel 10 so some games that are live in SA are on delay.

Forget Telstra's service, it buffers very badly and the quality is terrible. There are a LOT of unhappy overseas people about this (see the main board for an entire thread of abuse directed towards Telstra regarding this).

The best way to get a good quality version of the games is to d/load torrents. Yes it's illegal, and so none of us condone it but Port games go up very quickly (within 24 hours) onto Mininova and Demonoid. Mininova doesn't require a login, but Demonoid does. To register on Demonoid, you need to wait for the first Friday of each month.

Port vs Geelong Predictions

<edit>

Geelong Cats:
Finished 1st in 2007.
Won their first flag in 44 years in a very dominant season.
Had 9 players in the 2007 All-Australian team, as well as coach Mark Thompson.
Joel Selwood won the NAB Rising Star.
Premiership player Nathan Ablett unexpectedly took a leave from football for personal reasons.
Traded premiership player and captain Steven King to the Saints.
Matthew Egan is likely going to be out with Navicular.
Sam Hunt is probable, but will likely play with an hamstring injury.
Worjinski could also be out.

<edit>
Sam Hunt? Dont you mean Josh Hunt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't like your chances unless you know someone that can feed the game through to you or there is a torrent available.

The only way I get to see them is through sites like www.channelchooser.com where you can get a free feed from bigpond football, sometimes it can take a while for the game you want to come through though.

I did see the Grand Final via Setanta (ITVN) last year via a Crows supporter who installed it here in Michigan but that service now appears dead. :(

If you are somewhere in Asia, you might be able to watch the game via Australia Network, if you can find a pub that has it.

Apart from that you could watch it on afl.com.au about 24 hours later, if you have an account. PM me if you don't, but want to go this option.

I just get the feeling we WILL get up! It will be a good game! Hoping Shaun plays a blinder and follows it up with atleast 21 more (chucked $80 on Junior for the Brownlow!) Robbie Gray gets a crack and kicks four, Salopek gets a ton of touches and Boak shows the football world why we picked him over Selwood (I can see why, just let the world see just what a star he is!) my multi-bet is Port win Gray most goals Salopek most disposals!

About 35,000+ would be a good number for a Thursday public holiday weekend:thumbsu:.
That is about how MANY(much):confused:

Yeah I must say I originally thought given this is such a huge game, and so many people will want to see it, the weather will be good, and it is at a prime time of 8:10 that we will get close to the 37,500 we got when we played Freo in the final game last year, however some people I know reckon the Easter weekend will take away from the crowd, although I can't see how it would, as people have had plenty of time to plan for the Thursday night game before their trips..... Should be interesting anyway.

If it was a friday game the week after easter at the same time I reckon we'd have 37-40,000, but the fact it is on easter weekend it may be a 30-33,000 crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port vs. Geelong @ AAMI Stadium Game Thread

Back