Past Player - Tony Armstrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #38 - Tony Armstrong

Hmmmm far from sold on Armstrong. Admittedly I’ve been on his bandwagon until recently but for a little while now every time I’ve seen him I haven’t really liked what I’ve seen. First of all he needs to have a big pre-season building his body; he is still far, far too thin. Maybe with some extra weight and confidence in his body he’ll go in a bit harder and be more prepared to win the contested footy?

He’s very much an outside player but to play that role at the top level you need to have outstanding skills, something he doesn’t have. They’re very inconsistent; one kick will be a gem, the other a shocker. Not all that strong overhead, terribly defensively (don’t think I’ve ever seen him tackle) so for mine he doesn’t tick a lot of boxes. Two year contract extension? He’s had a better year in 2009 so I suppose his development curve is on the right track but IMO he’s extremely fortunate to have received a guaranteed stay for another 2 years. He'd want to work really hard during the pre-season.

The skills part is the biggest question mark to me - we've always been told that his skills are his biggest asset but apparently that's not coming across at the moment. Presumably though the club saw enough of it to decide to sign him up from his earlier SANFL games.

His body size will improve and hopefully his skills will come back.

Another "get to know" article, about Armstrong this time.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/86188/default.aspx

What’s been the biggest thing you've learnt since arriving at West Lakes?
Probably just the fact that I’m fully self-supporting at age 18. I’m paying my own rent and bills. Everything I have is through my own doing. All my mates at home are living at home or getting care packages, but I’m pretty independent. Before I was drafted I was living in a dorm where everything was right there for me, but now I have to go out and do it all myself.

He seems like quite a character :p Hopefully he can step up and earn himself a debut in 2010 :thumbsu:

so is tony going to play this season?
do you have any word on how he is going?
i went to school with him and im just curious

so is tony going to play this season?
do you have any word on how he is going?
i went to school with him and im just curious
Armstrong was named in the emergency for several games last year and will almost certainly make his debut sometime during the season (maybe even round 1, depends on his NAB Cup performances).

this is very good news!
thank you
and yes i did notice him listed as emergency this year

this is very good news!
thank you
and yes i did notice him listed as emergency this year

Yeah, he's getting there, when drafted was billed as a 3 year prospect, spent his first year in the SANFL ressies, last year spent all but one or two games in the SANFL League side, so if he continues his improvement, I'd expect to see a few games, with him looking to become a regular next year.

I have a feeling armstrong will be a good asset in the team down back as half back flanker. He could also go on the wing. He could release johncock or mcleod to go up forward.

Yes, congratulations to Armstrong :thumbsu: Rendell must be proud, that will now make eight players who have debuted from the eleven he recruited in 2007 (though I guess we can't really count Walker), a fine effort :thumbsu: The number won't increase since Kite, Moss and Curnow have been delisted, but it's still a great effort.

Yes, congratulations to Armstrong :thumbsu: Rendell must be proud, that will now make eight players who have debuted from the eleven he recruited in 2007 (though I guess we can't really count Walker), a fine effort :thumbsu: The number won't increase since Kite, Moss and Curnow have been delisted, but it's still a great effort.

Running through the names...Dangerfield, Cook, Petrenko, Otten, Martin, Walker, Armstrong, as it stands only Jacky is copping significant heat from the supporter base. Not bad.

The test will be in how our 08 and 09 selections develop, given they're mostly key position types. Super-draft or not you'll struggle to come away with many winners in this department.

Sorry to be pedantic but Moss and Curnow weren't 'delisted', they were both rookies and therefore simply released, Kite on the other hand was delisted.

Giving excuses for the 08 and 09 drafts already amer? Typical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giving excuses for the 08 and 09 drafts already amer? Typical.

Drummo, you completely misinterpreted that. The acid test for Rendell will be the 08 and 09 drafts, because we went for key position types which are more difficult to identify. Why would I make excuses if they fail; as far as I'm concerned if they do, Rendell's dead average and fluked the Dangerfield selection. We'll see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back