Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I said end of last year, I hope we target Tom Mitchell

Exactly what we need.

We need a Shane Tuck ball winner.

If you can get someone who wins ball and uses it well, bonus, but relying on Dow, RcD, Ross, Graham, these guys are cooked, were so weak playing with them in the middle
Mitchell isn’t helping us next year unless you think we are genuine flag contenders
All for going for an established mid but need to be looking younger than a 29 year old

Need to expose the likes of Ross and Dow at some point as well otherwise may as well just delist them both at the end of the year because they are at the point where they won’t improve playing vfl anymore

I honestly think we should be looking at a Matt Crouch or Wallis type to just try and bridge the gap between the current venerable old blokes and a generation that I would describe as a complete and utter bust.

Sonsie needs games given I still have some hope for him and I'd persevere with Dow, but the rest we won't be winning flags with (RCD in particular). We really need mids in that 23-28 cohort and for whatever reason we've consistently drafted half back types that help with our intercept game. That was fine while we had a competitive midfield but it is now beyond a joke.

The run on goals we concede out of the midfield has lost us most games this year and something needs to be done by the coaching staff to try and arrest that. Spin the magnets, put Mackintosh or Pickett in there as big bodies and see if that can help. Try Vlastuin in there again. Literally try ANYTHING, because otherwise it is season over come first week of the finals (if we make it that far).
Crouch & Taranto should be our number 1 targets. Mitchell has passed now, needed him this year.

Tom Green pay the price get it done end of this year. Same with Matt Rowell next year. Them 2 with Bolton and Sonsie will sort us out the next 10 years with cameos from Martin, Prestia, Graham, Ross, Pickett maybe Dow. Get rid of Lambert, Edwards, Cotchin, Martyn, RCD all this year we need an overhaul and to get games into the kids. We can also target FA's and kids starved of opportunities like Dylan Stevens and Paddie Dow. Stevens could be anything if given regular senior games, Dow who knows all I know is RCD & Martyn are crap and need to be moved on. Our midfield is an absolute shambles and Rucks probably worse. HTF has Soldo got 2 years to go?

Tom Green pay the price get it done end of this year. Same with Matt Rowell next year. Them 2 with Bolton and Sonsie will sort us out the next 10 years with cameos from Martin, Prestia, Graham, Ross, Pickett maybe Dow. Get rid of Lambert, Edwards, Cotchin, Martyn, RCD all this year we need an overhaul and to get games into the kids. We can also target FA's and kids starved of opportunities like Dylan Stevens and Paddie Dow. Stevens could be anything if given regular senior games, Dow who knows all I know is RCD & Martyn are crap and need to be moved on. Our midfield is an absolute shambles and Rucks probably worse. HTF has Soldo got 2 years to go?
We tried with Green he wants to stay at the Giants.

Prestia is the bigger concern than most . His return has shunted baker out of the midfield to the detriment of our side and bakers development . I now suspect Baker will consider a move at seasons end for more midfield time and you can’t blame him .

We tried with Green he wants to stay at the Giants.

Says who? Until he signs with them he's available. And please don't say tiger71 who has got every single prediction wrong yet coolaid drinking flogs swear he hasn't. All I know is Balmey, who's as cool as a cucumber got flustered as fu@k when asked about getting him, his Grandad's interview on open Mike, he barracks for us and no-one wants to play in front of 3,000 fans who got free tickets at the methadone clinic. Half their salary cap is spent on 6 players so I'm tipping if anyone leaves it'll be him. They will never get that close to a flag again, why stay if not for money.

Prestia is the bigger concern than most . His return has shunted baker out of the midfield to the detriment of our side and bakers development . I now suspect Baker will consider a move at seasons end for more midfield time and you can’t blame him .

Bakers a great ordinary player. He gets the most out of his ability and little frame but he's no superstar. If he leaves we'll be well compensated, but I reckon he stays.

Says who? Until he signs with them he's available. And please don't say tiger71 who has got every single prediction wrong yet coolaid drinking flogs swear he hasn't. All I know is Balmey, who's as cool as a cucumber got flustered as fu@k when asked about getting him, his Grandad's interview on open Mike, he barracks for us and no-one wants to play in front of 3,000 fans who got free tickets at the methadone clinic. Half their salary cap is spent on 6 players so I'm tipping if anyone leaves it'll be him. They will never get that close to a flag again, why stay if not for money.
I know, tiger71 is unreliable, I'm just going off by what other journo's have said that "he is staying" obviously your right & until he signs he could leave. but I'm not holding breath.

Bakers a great ordinary player. He gets the most out of his ability and little frame but he's no superstar. If he leaves we'll be well compensated, but I reckon he stays.
He is a better player week in week out than Prestia already, has more upside and plays more often yet is being pushed out of the midfield because of Prestia .

He’s contracted for next year anyway

We have been average in midfield ruck area for years, this needs to be addressed. However I would say we have been hit the hardest is lose of coaching staff such as Lepitch and Macrae.

Hardwick is a people manager, while this is also important rolll he is not a tactical on game day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1012862.png

Get this boy home

Our midfield is s**t and it regularly loses the crucial clearances late in games which is why we get run over late every week.

We had 67-46 inside-50’s on Saturday. The midfield gave our forwards more than enough opportunities to win that game. Conversion by our forwards is what killed us the last 2 weeks, not the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dow lost so many 1v1 contests in the middle, Touk Miller had 4 centre clearances and 3 of them were on Dow, he’s just a fish out of water.

Dow has played 13 games. Touk Miller’s early career was as an annoying tagger playing on blokes like Zorko. Give Dow a chance.

We had 67-46 inside-50’s on Saturday. The midfield gave our forwards more than enough opportunities to win that game. Conversion by our forwards is what killed us the last 2 weeks, not the midfield.

They also completely botched the stoppage where Zurhaar waltzed through and goaled. We got smashed in the clearances and stoppage clearances by bloody North Melbourne.

You can't be a successful team with these new rules getting smashed in the midfield.

Thanks and
Holy s**t

Not 1 for baker or pickett? unbelievable...

That’s the downside of not having any of Castagna, Aarts or MRJ … someone has to play small forward…. the only one capable in a permanent capacity was Baker.

That’s where selection is not always black and white. None of us wanted Castagna or Aarts to play …. but I think we all agree Baker is best suited playing back/midfield.

I think this week they’ll bring in Parker and MRJ to share that role and Baker will go back to man up on Banfield or Walters.

My changes to the 23:

Out : Aarts and Gibcus (injury/form)
Ins: MRJ and Parker

Sub: Edwards

They won’t play Edwards as sub in his 300th against Lions, so sub him this week.

I challenge anyone to name a worse midfield in the Afl. Will be surprised if there’s one. We are bloody terrible
The worst midfield doesn’t have the highest avg i50 surplus over oppo . How does that happen , a bowl of gold fish . I don’t pretend we have the best , but it’s far from the worst either , given the supply we get and opportunities we squander , better forwards would help no end

They also completely botched the stoppage where Zurhaar waltzed through and goaled. We got smashed in the clearances and stoppage clearances by bloody North Melbourne.

You can't be a successful team with these new rules getting smashed in the midfield.

Eh, that was mostly all on Grimes who completely switched off during that play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back