Senior Oscar McInerney (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

McInerney Punching Above The Rest

Ruckmen often get a bum wrap in AFL commentary in relation to their football ‘smarts’. How often do you hear ‘don’t ask him to do two things at once … he’s only a ruckman.” It’s a light-hearted industry stereotype.

And when it comes Brisbane ruckmen it is downright wrong. Some of the smartest players in club history have been long-term ruckmen, and not just on the field.

Inaugural captain Mark Mickan and club champions Matthew Clarke and Stefan Martin were legitimate top-end academics, and premiership trio Clark Keating, Beau McDonald, Jamie Charman are no dummies. Likewise Matthew Leuenberger and Ben Hudson, a qualified physiotherapist who only played with the club for one season but is now on the coaching staff.

So Brisbane have been the exception to the ‘only a ruckman’ theory. And it’s an exception that is now being carried on very capably by qualified accountant and ruck spearhead Oscar McInerney.

Set to play his 100th AFL game in Thursday night’s elimination final against Richmond at the Gabba, McInerney has been one of the great AFL stories in recent years – on and off the field.

The hugely popular 205cm giant will be only the fifth ruckman in Brisbane history to play 100 AFL games for the club behind Keating (139), Clarke (130), Charman (129) and Leuenberger (108).

On a return on investment basis, the former Casey Scorpions Reserves player is rolled gold.

Drafted with pick #37 in the AFL Rookie Draft in 2016, McInerney was the 91st player taken in his draft year, and the ninth ruckman behind five players taken in the National Draft and three in the Rookie Draft.

Preferred to McInerney in the National Draft were Western Bulldogs’ Tim English (pick #19), Fremantle’s Sean Darcy (#38), Geelong’s Esava Ratugolea (#43), Sydney draftee turned Collingwood player Darcy Cameron (#48) and Geelong draftee turned now delisted StKilda recruit Ryan Abbott (#69).

Taken ahead of him in the Rookie Draft were Essendon’s Sam Draper (pick #1), Port Adelaide draftee turned Sydney player Peter Ladhams (#9) and St.Kilda’s Rowan Marshall (#10).

Yet among the ruck class of 2016 28-year-old McInerney will be the first to 100 games. And among 123 first-time draftees overall in 2016 only 13 players in total, including Brisbane first-rounders Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry, have played 100 games.

And McInerney, 4th in the Merrett/Murray Medal in 2020, 7th last year and expected to finish top 10 again this year, compares favorably in the respective club awards. Only Marshall, 2nd at St.Kilda in 2019 and 4th in 2020, Darcy, winner at Fremantle in 2021, and English, 8th at the Bulldogs in 2020, have finished top 10.

His 1023 career possessions is behind only Marshall (1334), English (1175) and Darcy (1037), his 45 goals behind only English (47), equal with Marshall (45) and ahead of Darcy (34), with 120 contested marks and 257 tackles, McInerney out-ranks Marshall (117 contested marks and 246 tackles), Darcy (85 contested marks and 233 tackles) and English (100 contested marks and 224 tackles).

My footy researcher son found out somewhre that Oscar is the 50th player to notch up his 100th for the Brisbane Lions - does not include Bears or Fitzroy games - Oscar's story is one of my favourites particulalry working as Xmas tree delivery guy.

My footy researcher son found out somewhre that Oscar is the 50th player to notch up his 100th for the Brisbane Lions - does not include Bears or Fitzroy games - Oscar's story is one of my favourites particulalry working as Xmas tree delivery guy.
This is a cool stat - tell your son it made me smile.

All The Winners 2022 Club Champion

8:16pm - Oscar McInerney voted as Players' Player for 2022

Oscar McInerney has won this year’s Player’s Player Award.

Each week, players were asked to vote on who they felt best reflected the values they strive for as a group, with great emphasis placed on acts that benefitted the team as a whole and not necessarily the individual.

The ‘Big O’ was deemed such, with the popular ruckman now a two-time winner of the award.

Often applauded for his selflessness and team-first approach, McInerney embodies the values within the four walls of the Club and is a deserving recipient.

‘Powerful thing’: What’s hurting Brisbane Lions

Lions ruckman Oscar McInerney says the Brisbane midfield must take responsibility for the “momentum” swings haunting his team.
The Lions were blown out of the water in round 1 by a Port Adelaide side that ran wild in the third quarter in which Brisbane was outscored 52-8.

Similar spells last season from round 10 onwards in which opponents in seven matches went on a scoring spree with little or no resistance from Brisbane were also a cause for concern.

“Momentum’s a powerful thing in footy these days.” McInerney said.

“We can see so many goal swings in games these days, so it’s how you’ll be able to stop that and how you can shift it.

“As a midfield group we’ve got to be take responsibility for that and the working together in our lines.

“We’ve got to come together … slow that momentum and get that momentum back on our terms as well.”

Winning possession from the centre bounce can stem a side’s momentum, and McInerney faces arguably his toughest rucking assignment of the season at the Gabba on Friday night when he takes on the might of Melbourne big men Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy.

“They’ve really set the mould for ruckmen the way they get it in the air and then on the ground – it’s first class,” the Lions giant said.

“We’ll have to pull that apart and see how we’re going to defend that.

“What an opportunity to take on two of the best in probably the last 10 years. They’ve been absolutely incredible.”

McInerney and Lester Sign On

230297_Ryan_Lester_Oscar_McInerney_Extension_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions duo Oscar McInerney and Ryan Lester have committed to new deals with the Club, just weeks out from their 2023 finals campaign.

McInerney, who was already contracted for 2024, has signed on for a further two years until the end of 2026, while Lester has re-committed for the 2024 season with a new one-year deal.

Lions General Manager Football, Danny Daly, said the Club was thrilled to have the pair remaining at Brighton Homes Arena.

“Oscar and Frog (Lester) are both very valuable to us on the field, but they are also two great people that are much-loved and really help build the great culture we have at the Club,” he said.
“Oscar is an outstanding ruck and continues to give our midfield great opportunities. He works hard to improve his game each week and will be a key player for us come finals and again for the three seasons.”
McInerney, the Lions 204-centimetre ruckman, has gone from being rookie drafted in 2016 to becoming one of the most valuable big men in the AFL.

The 29-year-old has remained loyal to the Club as he looks to experience further success as a Lion.

“As soon as the Club and my manager put forward the idea of extending, I couldn’t get it signed quick enough, I’m just so grateful for the opportunity to continue on with this great Club,” McInerney said.

“I absolutely love the Club, the boys and all the coaches and staff who make it such a great place to come in every day and work toward achieving the ultimate prize.

“Now I am just keen to put the head down, chip away and improve as a group and individual and see how far we can go over the next few years.”

Lion McInerney grounded, grateful on path to AFL final

A cricket club in Melbourne's east felt the loss of Oscar McInerney when the ruckman finally cracked an AFL list.

The 22-year-old mature-age rookie's selection by the Brisbane Lions in 2017 meant Ringwood Cricket Club needed a new social committee member, junior coach and someone to man the canteen on Friday nights.

McInerney, a left-arm offspinner, had filled all those roles for the club while toiling for Casey's VFL development team, whose home ground was a three-hour return train ride from his Croydon home.

"I was just playing (cricket) on the mats with my mates, on the social committee, club cleaner, canteen, under-16 coach ... that was just the way," the now 29-year-old told AAP ahead of Saturday's grand final clash with Collingwood.

"They're unbelievable; I love getting back there and the messages are already flowing."

Known as 'The Big O', McInerney's patient path to the AFL - back injuries spoiled his junior rise - means he has not taken any of his 125 games for granted.

And he still finds other ways to contribute, becoming heavily involved with the Lions' AFLW side as a ruck coach.

"I had a different journey to get here and it's held me in good stead," he said.

"I was heavily involved at the cricket club, but as a pro your hobby becomes your job so you need to find other avenues.

"(AFLW coaching) is still footy, but it is a great way to get into something else and they've taught me plenty.

"Tahlia (Hickie) hopefully will be the All-Australian ruck, an absolute superstar."

McInerney has been preoccupied this week though, his thoughts taken up by how to counter the Magpies' ruck duo of Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox.

He says Cox's wingspan and Cameron's football IQ create a tricky proposition.

It was Melbourne star Max Gawn who orchestrated a one-point comeback win over Brisbane earlier this season, dominating his Lions opposite in a pivotal final quarter.

"Ruck's one of the few one-on-one spots ... it's unique isn't it, even just the hit-out column; people scroll to there and make out what they like," McInerney mused.

"That night, Max was incredible.

"I'm getting that opportunity each week against a great ruckman, getting my pants pulled down a fair bit.

"You can mull on it or get on the computers and try and learn. And what a great lesson that was from one of the great ruckmen."

McInerney keeps things simple, belying his bashful off-field persona to build his game around competitiveness and creating for his prolific midfield and forward line.

It was his work in the middle that helped turn the tide against Carlton last weekend and ensure he lives out "a genuine childhood dream".

"It was a long night Saturday after the game, just that adrenalin," he said.

"I was over the moon and now you're building again."

The Lions will have their main session at the Gabba on Thursday, with key defender Jack Payne's (ankle) fitness to be tested before they fly to Melbourne.

Brisbane Lions Announce Updated Leadership Group

The Brisbane Lions have also selected a nine-person leadership group for the 2024 season.

Rounding out the group is Charlie Cameron, Cam Rayner, Brandon Starcevich, Jarrod Berry and Oscar McInerney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back