One of what will be many suggested Burgoyne trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit to Janus, with some editing:

Hawthorn

LOSES

Pick 9 (to North), Lewis (to Port)

GAINS

Burgoyne and a second rounder (from Port), Gibson and a second rounder (from North)

North

LOSES

Gibson (to Hawthorn), second rounder (to Hawthorn)

GAINS

Pick 9 (from Hawthorn)

Port

LOSES

Burgoyne (to Hawthorn), second round pick (to Hawthorn)

GAINS

Lewis (and maybe chuck in Dowler if the Hawks don't want him too badly with Roughead and Franklin already filling the key forward spots, but this probably wouldn't happen)

IMO North are the winners and Port and Hawthorn pretty much break even, but Port get rid of a guy who doesn't want to be there and fill a need (big bodied midfielder) and Hawthorn fill two needs (tall defender + the rare type of player who wins clearances and breaks lines).

Thoughts? Especially from Hawks supporters, because I'm not sure that they'd be happy.

Why wouldnt North simply try and swap Gibson to Hawthorn, they have already said they will trade there first round pick for the right player.

Umm ... maybe because this way they get a first rounder? The Hawks won't give up a first rounder for Gibson, but they would for Burgoyne. In a roundabout way, this is probably the only way that North will get the first rounder from Gibson that they would love to end up with.

First rounder for SB
Second rounder for Gibbo

(Pretty simple really, only other variations is if we chuck in a moss type player to Port, cause Lewis isn't going anywhere)

I couldn't see Lewis agreeing to a move interstate.

That's the only problem I see with this trade. Damn players, why couldn't they all be mindless robots with no rights who are traded around for the benefits of their clubs? A man can dream.

First rounder for SB

Wouldn't be enough.

Would you rather the suggested trade or would you rather just give up a second rounder to North for Gibson and pick 9 and Dowler (which is what it would take if you keep Lewis) to Port for Burgoyne? Pick 9 is included in both situations, so it's irrelevant. What it comes down to is would you rather give up Lewis or give up Dowler and three second rounders (the one you'd trade for Gibson in your scenario plus the two you'd get in my scenario). As a Hawks supporter, which one do you think the club would prefer?

First rounder for SB
Second rounder for Gibbo

(Pretty simple really, only other variations is if we chuck in a moss type player to Port, cause Lewis isn't going anywhere)
Do that and the whole deal falls over.

From an outsider's perspective, it looks pretty fair to all parties. Subject to the agreement of the players involved...

Hawthorn get a huge win from that scenario.

Hawthorn Ins: Burgoyne, Gibson, Pick 21 + Pick 24
Hawthorn Outs: Lewis + Pick 9

I can handle the North part, I think Gibson and Pick 21 for Pick 9 is fair. But Port are getting r*ped.

Lewis is not worth Burgoyne and Pick 24.

I think the deal should be:

Port
Ins: Lewis + Pick 21
Outs: Burgoyne + Pick 24

Hawthorn
Ins: Burgoyne, Gibson + Pick 24
Outs: Lewis + Pick 9

North
Ins: Pick 9
Outs: Gibson + Pick 21

Lewis aint goin' nowhere.

Answer the question then.

'Would you rather the suggested trade or would you rather just give up a second rounder to North for Gibson and pick 9 and Dowler (which is what it would take if you keep Lewis) to Port for Burgoyne? Pick 9 is included in both situations, so it's irrelevant. What it comes down to is would you rather give up Lewis or give up Dowler and three second rounders (the one you'd trade for Gibson in your scenario plus the two you'd get in my scenario).'

If you'd rather keep Dowler and three second rounders, then obviously this suggestion has merit. If not, then you can say that.

Roosurgence said:
Lewis is not worth Burgoyne and Pick 24.

In theory, no. But when you combine the factors that Burgoyne wants out, the fact that Port are unlikely to challenge for a premiership while Shaun is still at his peak, the fact that Lewis is a few years younger than Shaun and the fact that Lewis would be absolutely perfect for our midfield balance it starts to look better. And I'm a Port supporter, so I wouldn't come up with a hypothetical that I believe screws us over. Other Port supporters may disagree though, obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Answer the question then.

'Would you rather the suggested trade or would you rather just give up a second rounder to North for Gibson and pick 9 and Dowler (which is what it would take if you keep Lewis) to Port for Burgoyne? Pick 9 is included in both situations, so it's irrelevant. What it comes down to is would you rather give up Lewis or give up Dowler and three second rounders (the one you'd trade for Gibson in your scenario plus the two you'd get in my scenario).'

I'd gladly do that. We seem to be at a stage where we feel we have enough youth, so picks aren't seemingly important. So using late round picks wouldn't bother the club then, and offloading 9 and second rounder are ideal.

I'd do:

25 -> North for Gibson
9+Dowler -> Port for Burgoyne

in a heartbeat, wouldn't even have to think twice. :eek:

Or, we just simply walk away. I wouldn't be at all fussed if we let Burgoyne go elsewhere and kept Lewis.

I'd gladly do that. We seem to be at a stage where we feel we have enough youth, so picks aren't seemingly important. So using late round picks wouldn't bother the club then, and offloading 9 and second rounder are ideal.

I'd do:

25 -> North for Gibson
9+Dowler -> Port for Burgoyne

in a heartbeat, wouldn't even have to think twice. :eek:

Or, we just simply walk away. I wouldn't be at all fussed if we let Burgoyne go elsewhere and kept Lewis.

Well, that's the answer I was waiting for. If that's how you think Hawthorn would react to this deal, then fair enough. I'd prefer Lewis, but Dowler and pick 9 would be adequate compensation.

Well, that's the answer I was waiting for. If that's how you think Hawthorn would react to this deal, then fair enough. I'd prefer Lewis, but Dowler and pick 9 would be adequate compensation.

And there is why trade week is so interesting, as much as a fizzer as it will probably turn out to be. We have no real idea how either club will approach this, both will throw out ridiculous trades, be it too much or too little. All I know, well.. I hope Lewis stays. If it means we cough up 9+Dowler, so be it. Port get a young potential key foward, and Hawthorn get their pacey midfielder as well as Port getting another top 10 pick.

It will be Mitch Thorp before Dowler I reckon. As soon as I heard about the Burgoyne situation I immediately thought of Pick 9 + Thorp. Port will then have picks 8 and 9 plus a ready made KPF.

Nope. Thorp has shown absolutely zilch to warrant a trade for one of the most talented players in the AFL. Dowler has shown potential to be a key forward at AFL level, Thorp hasn't (and is always injured), so we'll chase Dowler. With Franklin and Roughead as the key targets, I'm sure the difference between Dowler and Thorp would hurt us more than it will hurt Hawthorn.

Nope. Thorp has shown absolutely zilch to warrant a trade for one of the most talented players in the AFL. Dowler has shown potential to be a key forward at AFL level, Thorp hasn't (and is always injured), so we'll chase Dowler. With Franklin and Roughead as the key targets, I'm sure the difference between Dowler and Thorp would hurt us more than it will hurt Hawthorn.
Youre' talking about two U21 KPPs here, they always take time to develop. Did Troy Chaplin start dominating when he was 18?

Their worth is a lot more on just their current ability and to be honest, Dowler is progressing nicely as he finally has an injury free run at it. Thorp has obviously had some sh1t luck with injuries, but no-one doubts that he can play.
Pick 9 (despite it being a shallow draft in later picks, Pick 9 is still pick 9) + Thorp is a pretty bloody good trade considering you're getting a former number 6 draft pick who could potentially be your CHF for the next ten years. In return we're taking a very talented midfielder (pick 12 in his day) who 'wants to leave' (pretty underrated factor here) who might give us 5 years of service should his knee hold up.

I think that's a VERY fair trade considering the circumstances. Anyway, Lewis is required and he wants to stay so he won't be going nowhere

Their worth is a lot more on just their current ability and to be honest, Dowler is progressing nicely as he finally has an injury free run at it. Thorp has obviously had some sh1t luck with injuries, but no-one doubts that he can play.
Pick 9 (despite it being a shallow draft in later picks, Pick 9 is still pick 9) + Thorp is a pretty bloody good trade considering you're getting a former number 6 draft pick who could potentially be your CHF for the next ten years. In return we're taking a very talented midfielder (pick 12 in his day) who 'wants to leave' (pretty underrated factor here) who might give us 5 years of service should his knee hold up.

This is all irrelevant while you have Dowler on your list. Is pick 9 and Thorp for Burgoyne (who wants out) fair? I don't think so, but let's assume for a second that it is. Why would we want Thorp when in all likelihood we could get Dowler, who unlike Thorp has shown something at AFL level?

Just pick 9 then.

It will be Mitch Thorp before Dowler I reckon. As soon as I heard about the Burgoyne situation I immediately thought of Pick 9 + Thorp. Port will then have picks 8 and 9 plus a ready made KPF.

... who has done nothing due to injuries. He wouldn't be the best prospect to sweeten up a deal IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

One of what will be many suggested Burgoyne trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back