Opinion On Fire or Under the Pump

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey folks

Many moons go, I ran a Blues site and my only other content contributor had an ongoing article he titled 'On Fire or Under the Pump'. I think I've used it on here a long, long time ago.

Basically, it looks at which Carlton players, coaches or administrators have been going extremely well, and which ones are struggling and perhaps are starting to be scrutinised.

I figure this would be a good thread to bump and give credit or express concerns in every week. If I had started this last week, Harry McKay would definitely have got a mention.

I'll start us off.

On Fire

Jacob Weitering - 2 games back and he's straight away gone back to being that rock and backline leader we all know him as. Averaging 19.5 disposals, 10.5 marks, 2 contested marks and 3 tackles per game. I kind of feel like this is low hanging fruit but with a decent amount of time out, you could forgive him for taking some time to find his feet. Our most important player.

Jordan Boyd - He is currently having the best of his 3 seasons to date, improving his average in just about every category. One could be forgiven for thinking Boyd would be on the outer with the return of Zac Williams, but he has helped to make our back half even more dynamic and taken the pressure of Saad who is also having a decent season so far.

Under the Pump

Ollie Hollands - From a heady first season where he averaged 19 disposals per game, Ollie has been reduced to just 10.5 disposals per game this season. His inside 50s and rebound 50s are also down. However his tackles are up and we have to take into account that Carlton are playing differently this season, concentrating on their turnover game and using the corridor more, which means that our wings are not used as much as they were before, and when we do, we tend to go to the experienced Blake Acres while Ollie does a heap of unrewarded running. Still, there is a bit of chatter around about his form and with our VFL B&F player Jaxon Binns on the periphery and yet to debut, one wonders how long Ollie can hold him off.

Carlton's Midfield - Just generally. Our midfield clearance strength has all but evaporated, just as we unlocked the final piece of the puzzle in turnover scoring. Now we have to get the former back to add to the latter and become the all round power we know we could be. Adam Cerra has been below his usual standards, Jack Carroll started off well this season, but has trailed off again recently, and while skipper Patrick Cripps continues to inspire, a interesting stat on one of the footy shows, highlights that in terms of taking first possession to getting that ball to a teammate, Crippa is going at a poor 60%. It may be as simple as getting Sam Walsh back into the mix to fix all of this. Fingers crossed.

Depends ... is that a nomination?
Hell no. I ain’t taking the fall for that.

In all seriousness, I’d say little Durds is under the pump. Interrupted year last year with injury and this year seems to be on the outer in terms of our preferred small forward lineup. He has an opportunity while Mots is injured but he really needs to do a lot more to establish himself.

Carlton's Midfield - Just generally. Our midfield clearance strength has all but evaporated, just as we unlocked the final piece of the puzzle in turnover scoring. Now we have to get the former back to add to the latter and become the all round power we know we could be. Adam Cerra has been below his usual standards, Jack Carroll started off well this season, but has trailed off again recently, and while skipper Patrick Cripps continues to inspire, a interesting stat on one of the footy shows, highlights that in terms of taking first possession to getting that ball to a teammate, Crippa is going at a poor 60%. It may be as simple as getting Sam Walsh back into the mix to fix all of this. Fingers crossed.

Over the Summer we were training to take the game on and add more run. At times we have done that but to the detriment of our stoppage game. I think we are just trying to find the balance between the two. Like last year I expect it to be mid year before it clicks

I also think personnel is an issue. Cripps Kennedy Hewett Carroll are similar type players and I believe it throws our balance out. We have been pushing Kennedy forward and Cerra has played HB to try and fit them all in. I don't think it works no matter how good they are individually. Now we have Walsh back but are missing Docherty.

Going forward I wouldn't play all 4 bulls. 3 with one as sub is best mix. We can also rest One at different times. I would want Cripps fresh going into finals
Walsh & Cerra gives us something different and I hope E.Hollands can step up quickly. What would also make us better and quicker is having Martin & Motlop back. Late last year they attended some centre bounces and make a difference. Cuningham is another one. Their leg speed really helps

The wildcards are Cincotta Wilson Cowan. None are establsihed but they all bring what we need. Leg speed and long kicking. If any of them can step up it could be game changer

We are a fair way from where we need to be BUT we are 4-0 and have players coming back or that have big improvement in them

Key for me is how we find the right balance

Last edited:
The real scrutiny will come when we lose some players can get dragged along by a winning team.
The injuries can be a blessing it gives players experience in our system and the intensity that’s required.
When these players are called on during the year we still have a consistent performance.
As a team we are on fire the pump comes when injured players come back or when we lose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree re Ollie, does he have the 2nd year Blues? Looking back at the scratch matches, he was the only shining light.

Don't think he's under the pump, but he does need to pump more weights or pump some shteroids. Gets out muscled and pushed out of contest way too easily

Over the Summer we were training to take the game on and add more run. At times we have done that but to the detriment of our stoppage game. I think we are just trying to find the balance between the two. Like last year I expect it to be mid year before it clicks

I also think personnel is an issue. Cripps Kennedy Hewett Carroll are similar type players and I believe it throws our balance out. We have been pushing Kennedy forward and Cerra has played HB to try and fit them all in. I don't think it works no matter how good they are individually. Now we have Walsh back but are missing Docherty.

Going forward I wouldn't play all 4 bulls. 3 with one as sub is best mix. We can also rest One at different times. I would want Cripps fresh going into finals
Walsh & Cerra gives us something different and I hope E.Hollands can step up quickly. What would also make us better and quicker is having Martin & Motlop back. Late last year they attended some centre bounces and make a difference. Cuningham is another one. Their leg speed really helps

The wildcards are Cincotta Wilson Cowan. None are establsihed but they all bring what we need. Leg speed and long kicking. If any of them can step up it could be game changer

We are a fair way from where we need to be BUT we are 4-0 and have players coming back or that have big improvement in them

Key for me is how we find the right balance
To play this style you need the right type of players. Think peak Richmond. Our list demographic doesn't suit this style. I'm not sure why we've turned last years strength into a weakness by changing our game style??

To play this style you need the right type of players. Think peak Richmond. Our list demographic doesn't suit this style. I'm not sure why we've turned last years strength into a weakness by changing our game style??
Injuries to many of our burst player's, is not helping in this regard. A fit Cunners, J.M., Motts and Doc in our team, would make us so much more dynamic. The inclusion of Walsh should make a huge difference this week.

On fire: The StKilda mad monday dwarf entertainer in 2013
Under the pump: Jordan Russell because it's Jordan Russell

Just joking Jordan, in all seriousness appreciated you as a player especially busting your gut during our era of hell, and the job you're doing now.

On fire: McKay, bar his relatively quiet and weird game against Freo, during spurts in an interrupted 23 we're now seeing what we all knew was in him (don't think we'll ever eradicate some of those head scratching moments though).

Under the pump: Mids - not relating to clearances and such but actually kicking some goals. I think for a number of years we've been very weak when it comes to our mids contributing to our goal tally.

Under the pump: Our injury prone trio: Marchbank, Martin and Cunningham.

No doubt these boys are in our best 22 when firing, but if they can't string together a series of good games this year I wouldn't want to see us offering them another contract*

*Martin I could be persuaded to give another year on the bare minimum.

On Fire:

Batman and Robin ably serviced by Marc Alfred Pittonet. The last two weeks have been as hot as can be by this trio.

Under the Pump:

Our depth. Smashed by injuries and the bottom 6 aren't setting the world on fire.

Our defence. Too much room out the back which is a throwback to the bad days, and not what this team is about. Yes, we have defenders out, but that doesn't excuse some of the efforts from the likes of Williams. Maybe he is playing injured too?

On Fire:

Batman and Robin ably serviced by Marc Alfred Pittonet. The last two weeks have been as hot as can be by this trio.

Under the Pump:

Our depth. Smashed by injuries and the bottom 6 aren't setting the world on fire.

Our defence. Too much room out the back which is a throwback to the bad days, and not what this team is about. Yes, we have defenders out, but that doesn't excuse some of the efforts from the likes of Williams. Maybe he is playing injured too?
No question Williams is injured for mine. I do think he has some defensive weaknesses regardless, but the last couple games I swear I've seen him grimace and look very uncomfortable more than a few times.

If we had a healthier list I'd think he wouldn't be playing right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back