Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

I take your point but we had 1 player average 24 or more touches in 2022. Lower possession counts is partially a feature of how we play.
In return, I take the point you're making.
To my mind this lower possession focus is different this time because we've slipped at a couple key metrics.

2022 v 2024

Contested Possession differential - 4th down to 16th
Clearance differential - 6th down to 16th

We simply are nowhere near as good, or even competent for a finals contender at winning the footy in the contest.
If we can't win the ball inside the contest, and we prefer to share the load and accumulate the ball less as well. To me that sounds like a bad mix.

To my mind this lower possession focus is different this time because we've slipped at a couple key metrics.

2022 v 2024

We simply are nowhere near as good, or even competent for a finals contender at winning the footy in the contest.
If we can't win the ball inside the contest, and we prefer to share the load and accumulate the ball less as well. To me that sounds like a bad mix.
It sounds like they're making the best of a bad situation. I think it's great to pump some games into the future second string mids, especially a few wins and probably a finals berth. Then you add a player or two in the off season and those who swim swim, and those who sink sink

Looking at this, they might be without Parker for a few weeks at VFL level as well....

He's been sent straight to the tribunal with the AFL/VFL expected to ask for a minimum of 5-weeks on the sidelines

2022 v 2024

In other news - Water is wet!

Honestly, the midfield conversation is getting really boring. I’m sure the match committee is very aware of the weaknesses!

Did anyone honestly think that our midfield would be a strength this year?

I had us in finals because our forward line and defense is elite. I was hopefully that Danger and Guthrie could balance out the young mids and break even, unfortunately Danger has been injured and Guthrie was injured and seems a shadow of his 2022 form & even Blitz has been down on previous years, something he acknowledged today. Yet we’re 7-3 and sit 3rd on the ladder.

It is what it is, for the midfield it’s a baptism of fire and there’s been some good signs in there. Yes, we do need an A-Grader, a Dangerfield, see ball get ball type, but that isn’t happening this year. I believe Bruhn, Clark, Holmes, Conway and Dempsey will become A-Graders mids in time. They’re the most exciting recruits since the early 00s.

What the midfielders need from fans is support, these are young men finding their way and all we can do is cheer them to be their best and stop going on an on about the bleeding obvious.

In other news - Water is wet!

Honestly, the midfield conversation is getting really boring. I’m sure the match committee is very aware of the weaknesses!

Did anyone honestly think that our midfield would be a strength this year?

I had us in finals because our forward line and defense is elite. I was hopefully that Danger and Guthrie could balance out the young mids and break even, unfortunately Danger has been injured and Guthrie was injured and seems a shadow of his 2022 form & even Blitz has been down on previous years, something he acknowledged today. Yet we’re 7-3 and sit 3rd on the ladder.

It is what it is, for the midfield it’s a baptism of fire and there’s been some good signs in there. Yes, we do need an A-Grader, a Dangerfield, see ball get ball type, but that isn’t happening this year. I believe Bruhn, Clark, Holmes, Conway and Dempsey will become A-Graders mids in time. They’re the most exciting recruits since the early 00s.

What the midfielders need from fans is support, these are young men finding their way and all we can do is cheer them to be their best and stop going on an on about the bleeding obvious.

Actually, water isn't wet...

Most scientists define wetness as a liquid's ability to maintain contact with a solid surface, meaning that water itself is not wet, but can make other sensation

Actually, water isn't wet...

Most scientists define wetness as a liquid's ability to maintain contact with a solid surface, meaning that water itself is not wet, but can make other sensation
Yes and apparently we can actually feel wetness, we just experience a change in temperature and texture… but as said on QI, if I close my eyes and fall into a pool I’ll just think I fell into a skip full of rubble!

Honestly scientists have too much time on their hand

“Dave, how you going with that cure for cancer”

“Oh sorry Steve, I’ve been too busy figuring out that water isn’t actually wet”

Love the fact that the people on Footy Crappified just got stuck into Cornes for hit dogshit take weeks ago on Harley Reid.
Mark my words not tanking for him may well be the very death of Norf…what an absolute heck up but not doing that when you’re in that position

Just think about it Norf turned down the GC with all the talent and funding , turned down Tassie with all the funding and soon to be talents , delisted 12 players in one preseason and now turn down Ried

How can anyone argue that they didn’t do all of this on themselves ?
North could still relocate to Launceston, play their home games at York Park and continue to be called North.
Just change the name from North Melbourne to North Tasmania.

North could still relocate to Launceston, play their home games at York Park and continue to be called North.
Just change the name from North Melbourne to North Tasmania.
Doubt Tassie will be a two team state they a having enough trouble getting the first team up

Norf had their chances and they keept fighting the AFL on every help given to them …when they fold they will fold for good no merger or bail out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back