Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit unfair singling out Melbourne Demons Legend Brodie Grundy.
Won 36 Hitouts, 40% going to advantage which is statistically very good.

Unfortunately Sydney's midfield got absolutely smashed and couldn't do anything with Brodie's dominance.

Agree he doesn't do much around the ground.
Heard he painted unicorns on his boots before the game- can anyone confirm?

When the game was over. He was ragdolled by Daniher and easily matched by the second stringer Fort. In 2018 Lycett took him to the cleaners.

“Ragdolled by Daniher” - 1 hitout & maybe 2 straight clearances?

Absolutely. I didnt look at the stats either. I just saw Fort keeping up with Grundy which is definitely all that Fages ever would have dreamed of.

He 100% earned his medal.

I guarantee Fagan expected a lot more than just that.

**** me. It seems like all last week & post gf I’m the only one who can remember Fort being a very solid 2nd ruckman who got a game all 2022 and has done a great job filling in for OMac when needed, and dominated VFL when not. Fort is no slouch. Even Gawn recognised him as the best back up ruck in the game

“Ragdolled by Daniher” - 1 hitout & maybe 2 straight clearances?

I guarantee Fagan expected a lot more than just that.

**** me. It seems like all last week & post gf I’m the only one who can remember Fort being a very solid 2nd ruckman who got a game all 2022 and has done a great job filling in for OMac when needed, and dominated VFL when not. Fort is no slouch. Even Gawn recognised him as the best back up ruck in the game

So Fagan expected the 15th or 16th best ruckman to beat Grundy.

Thats why he sung his praise in the post game interview.

Absolutely. I didnt look at the stats either. I just saw Fort keeping up with Grundy which is definitely all that Fages ever would have dreamed of.

He 100% earned his medal.

Yep no doubt at all.

And while we're on it, how awesome was McInerny on the sidelines and during the celebrations? Talk about selfless. He looked like a kid getting presents when Fort got his medal. What a legend.

Bit unfair singling out Melbourne Demons Legend Brodie Grundy.
Won 36 Hitouts, 40% going to advantage which is statistically very good.

Unfortunately Sydney's midfield got absolutely smashed and couldn't do anything with Brodie's dominance.

Agree he doesn't do much around the ground.
Heard he painted unicorns on his boots before the game- can anyone confirm?

Well I think the last page confirms Grundy ultimately does not belong here in this thread - no one rates him. He’s not overrated.

Having said that, despite all the talk about how he didn’t beat Fort enough & his disposal was untidy, I still reckon he won his match-up on the day. Sure, he could have been a lot better, but he still had a lot of HTA, a lot of follow-up efforts, and aside from one big Joe clearance didn’t have his direct opponent dominate.

That’s a lot more than can be said for Blakey, Heeney, Warner, Papley, McLean, Amartey, McDonald, Gulden, Hayward, Rampe, McInerney who were all shocking and well-beaten

Then on the next tier Rowbottom on Neale, Jordon on Zorko, Cunningham on Cameron, Parker on Andrews, McCartin on Daniher got beaten too despite those 5 Swans trying hard & not throwing in the towel. I don’t know who Florent & Lloyd mostly played on but I assume they got beat too.

Grundy, Fox, Melican probably 3 who won their match-ups, or close to it.
Campbell gets forgiven.

Grundy should be disappointed in his performance but on a day of problems, it’s hard to squeeze him into the top 18 problems for the Swans.

So Fagan expected the 15th or 16th best ruckman to beat Grundy.

Thats why he sung his praise in the post game interview.

lol what, how did we jump from “keeping up” to “expected to beat”?

There was no doubt Fort can keep up with Grundy. There was a reason they didn’t blink picking an Experienced Fort over a youngster like Smith.

Grundy still won the match-up, Fort fought on well and nullified the win to a 6-4 fight each quarter. And I am not surprised at all. And I don’t reckon Fagan was either.

Chad Warner is an interesting one. Brilliant offensive player who will burn you with the ball.

But I think that he is defensively close to the worst player in the comp. Constantly leaves his other mids under the pump by gambling that they will win the ball and running forward. Similar to Blakey in that they look good when the side is on top but can be symptoms of their malaise when they are not.

Luckily they have Rowbottom, but if he struggles they are in trouble.

Yep no doubt at all.

And while we're on it, how awesome was McInerny on the sidelines and during the celebrations? Talk about selfless. He looked like a kid getting presents when Fort got his medal. What a legend.
Yep, sick of seeing players not celebrate or look disappointed because they didn’t play.
If you’re genuinely about the team you are like McInerney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back