Prediction Mid-season draft - 29 May 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

With SPP out, pick a crafty small-mid forward. It's the one position you can absolutely come in and have an influence with. NOT another ******* midfielder who we play as a small forward then wonder why they aren't effective in that role. Someone with some goal sense.

Rowe is probably a great shout.
You were going well until that last line, Rowe is not AFL standard.

Sutcliffe, McEntee, Teakle, Narkle…

Fair to say we aren’t very good at this

Hey, McEntee is a regular and Sutcliffe is still involved at the club. ;)

I don’t see why we wouldn’t pick someone up. We just need to get better at delisting them if they aren’t any good.
Yeah, the MSD is a bit hit and miss for me especially if we are 14th overall pick or so.

I think there are two reasons to give the MSD a crack. Firstly, that you are gunning for a flag and a player goes down like a ruck and you need back up or you see a genuine player or kid with a lot of potential which is rare.

We don't really need another player but we could try and fill in the Powell-Pepper role but I think we can cover him within the list.

If there is a genuine player or a kid with potential, fair enough but the MSD is the duds that didn't make the cut. I would prefer a crack at the next draft where you could snag a bargain. Not to say you can't in the MSD but it is much less likely.

But yeah, you're right. It would be better if we were better at delisting them.

We've not done all that well with mature aged MSD picks. Horribly in fact.
But I'd certainly go with a youngster that just missed getting drafted last year and is burning it up this season.

Ironically the one decent player among that lot is the one that we never gave a proper chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sorry I forgot, we don’t care about football ability only about the quality of the person.

Welcome to the new world order.

Why go 1 short for half a season?
Yeah, its a good reason but if I'm drafting a young player, I want a lot of potential or just plain quality. I'm not going to draft someone just because I can. I understand it as you never know what happens but I want to invest in a player that can become something. I am personally a bit picky when it comes to the draft.

If that player is there, a gem in the rough so to speak then fair enough.
As another poster said, if a guy just missed the draft last year but it tearing it up, then I don't have a problem.

Bit I'll tell you what I could be interested in and that is MST. Dunno if it will happen though.

Under 20 team to play Under 18 on May 18. Includes some possible mid season draft picks:

Player SANFL Club
Adam Deakin Central
Jayden Matz Central
Noah McDonald Central
Louie McLennan Central
Beau Thomas Central
Harry Francis Glenelg
Ben Ridgway Glenelg
Archie Lovelock Glenelg
Jed Dignan North
Hughen Wissman North
Kelsey Rypstra North
Alex Van Wyk Norwood
Logan Evans Port
Tom Wheaton South
Nic Schroder South
Nick Sadler Sturt
Luca Slade Sturt
Alex Holt Sturt
Henry Maerschel Sturt
Oscar Kregar West
Darcy Minchella West
Kobe Ryan West
Will Patton West
Oscar Talbot West
Patrick Weckert Woodville-West Torrens
Adam D'Aloia Woodville-West Torrens
Blake Hansen Woodville-West Torrens
Brody Mair Woodville-West Torrens
Callum Fairall Woodville-West Torrens

There seems to be plenty of choices worth a shot from that list. I was a fan of archie lovelock in his draft year. He seems to be doing okay at Glenelg and fits a need. I think if you are choosing a player from interstate you owe them 18 months and a pre-season. If you are choosing locally you give them 6 months to show something.

A host of AFL mid-season draft prospects made the most of another chance to impress recruiters in the second Young Guns game last Sunday. The Young Guns scored a thumping 69-point win over Vic Country at Craigieburn, with some of the forwards proving standouts.

Essendon VFL forward Oskar Smartt spent significant time through the midfield and was the leading disposal winner on the ground for the Young Guns with 22 touches, along with six marks, five clearances and two goals.

The performance came after the 180cm Smartt — who was overlooked in last year’s draft — had booted three goals in the first Young Guns game against Vic Metro.

Eastern Ranges product Remy MacLean also did his draft prospects no harm as the athletic 196cm key forward finished with 4.2 from 12 disposals and six marks.

Geelong Falcons ruckman Joe Pike kicked three goals from 10 disposals, while also having 20 hitouts sharing ruck duties with Iliro Smit.

Pike’s Geelong Falcons teammate Liam Kershaw and former Falcons graduate Tobyn Murray were among other Young Guns to draw praise for their performances.

Clubs are keeping a close eye on West Australian key forward Jasper Scaife, who has quickly emerged as a mid-season draft prospect. The 197cm West Perth product was this week named in a 34-man WAFL State squad ahead of their clash with South Australia at Optus Stadium on May 19. That match looms as a final audition ahead of the mid-season draft on May 29. Scaife, 20, if a former Fremantle Next Generation Academy member who was overlooked in his draft year in 2022. He kicked 22 goals from 16 WAFL Reserves games last year, before cracking a senior WAFL debut in round 1 this season.
Scaife has gone on to average 11.8 disposals, 6.5 marks (1.8 contested) and has kicked eight goals from his first four senior WAFL matches to catch the attention of scouts.

Former Port Adelaide ruckman Brynn Teakle, who was a train-on player with Collingwood over pre-season, has also been included in the WAFL State squad after a strong start to the season with East Fremantle. Teakle is also eligible to be selected in the mid-season draft.

A host of AFL mid-season draft prospects made the most of another chance to impress recruiters in the second Young Guns game last Sunday. The Young Guns scored a thumping 69-point win over Vic Country at Craigieburn, with some of the forwards proving standouts.

Essendon VFL forward Oskar Smartt spent significant time through the midfield and was the leading disposal winner on the ground for the Young Guns with 22 touches, along with six marks, five clearances and two goals.

The performance came after the 180cm Smartt — who was overlooked in last year’s draft — had booted three goals in the first Young Guns game against Vic Metro.

Eastern Ranges product Remy MacLean also did his draft prospects no harm as the athletic 196cm key forward finished with 4.2 from 12 disposals and six marks.

Geelong Falcons ruckman Joe Pike kicked three goals from 10 disposals, while also having 20 hitouts sharing ruck duties with Iliro Smit.

Pike’s Geelong Falcons teammate Liam Kershaw and former Falcons graduate Tobyn Murray were among other Young Guns to draw praise for their performances.

Clubs are keeping a close eye on West Australian key forward Jasper Scaife, who has quickly emerged as a mid-season draft prospect. The 197cm West Perth product was this week named in a 34-man WAFL State squad ahead of their clash with South Australia at Optus Stadium on May 19. That match looms as a final audition ahead of the mid-season draft on May 29. Scaife, 20, if a former Fremantle Next Generation Academy member who was overlooked in his draft year in 2022. He kicked 22 goals from 16 WAFL Reserves games last year, before cracking a senior WAFL debut in round 1 this season.
Scaife has gone on to average 11.8 disposals, 6.5 marks (1.8 contested) and has kicked eight goals from his first four senior WAFL matches to catch the attention of scouts.

Former Port Adelaide ruckman Brynn Teakle, who was a train-on player with Collingwood over pre-season, has also been included in the WAFL State squad after a strong start to the season with East Fremantle. Teakle is also eligible to be selected in the mid-season draft.
That Teakle guy sounds like a decent player.

How many games Narkle got since he moved to Port ? . He is always kicking 2-3 goals with magpies and 20 plus disposals but daddy egg head will never give him a chance .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back