Everton FC, MVFC
TAPSCOTT%20Luke.png

Number: 35
Height: 180cm
Weight: 87kg
DOB: 28/06/1991
Debut: 2011

Bio:
Powerful forward/midfielder with great hands. Foot skills and ball winning abilities are both exceptional. Strong performer for SA at NAB AFL U18 Championships with 30 inside-50s, nine goals and All-Australian honours.

Club Profile

Demonwiki

Re: Luke Tapscott

Was just looking at the stats from our list, didn't realise how much a unit he was already. 13th heaviest in the squad yet he's 8th from the bottom in height.

4-6 weeks to go apparently. hopefully see him play in the last 2-3 weeks of the season (although if we're gunning for a finals spot then maybe not)

Saw him at training a few weeks ago (was just there, not actually training) but he looks like he has built a fair bit of muscle on top of what he already had. Anyone else think of Chappy when they watch his highlights?

Luke Tapscott 2011 Review:
Todd Viney said:
Luke played quite a few games this year. He’s a bull-at-the-gate player. Luke played off the half-back line, where he hadn’t played before. But because of his elite kicking skills, we played him down there and he impressed. He’s still learning the game and it remains to be seen if he will be a defender or forward long-term. He’s still got a lot of improvement, which is exciting.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=125948

Ok guys I know I've been really slack but will get it under way now..

Tappy has come off a very restricted preseason and it is really showing in his performances so far.. desperately needs some match fitness and run into his legs.. once he's up and about will be a hugely important player as his contested work and booming right foot will be highly suited to the new game plan.. plus his bone crunching bumps and tackles are a delight to watch..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 5 vs St Kilda

Disposals
K-7
HB-1
M-2
T-5

Pretty poor game from Bull considering the wet conditions and contested game should have really suited him.. just unable to get into the game and looks really underdone.. think a few weeks at Casey to get some fitness and confidence may be the go.. his hit on Blake in the first quarter was certainly a highlight

his hit on Blake in the first quarter was certainly a highlight

IMO this is a problem with Tapscott, as I also pointed out in the Changes thread... I love his hardness and intensity, but I feel he plays the man too often. If he sees an opportunity for a huge hip and shoulder he always goes for it, and normally comes off best, but it rarely results in him getting the ball. As well as obvious fitness issues he needs to learn to find a more even balance between splitting heads and winning the footy at the same time. The best players can lay the hip and shoulder, maybe at 80% intensity, and still get the ball... Tappy goes in 110% and as a result doesn't get it.

Interesting point, I was talking to a mate who knows a bloke who's in the know with the club (thanks to years of donations, etc.) and he said that apparently that is a subject they've talked to Tappy about, using his aggression and strength in the right situations.

MFC: Pre-season update: Grimes to Tapscott

35. Luke Tapscott
Luke has completed the most work he’s ever done pre-Christmas. He’s still been a little bit inconsistent, in terms of sessions, but he’s completed a good block of training. We really like Luke’s aggression and intensity. He’s been training well – his skills and kicking, in particular, have been a very good. We’re looking forward to seeing Luke have back-to-back sessions heading into the NAB Cup and the season proper.

– Leigh Brown

Looking forward to having back-to-back sessions...either he's unfit or still struggling with injury. And either way them also saying it's the most work he's done, that doesn't sound great.

Hopefully he kicks on starting tomorrow.

Tappy needs a big season, or he might find himself on the block. Doubt he's going to be delisted, but he needs to start proving himself as a best 22 footballer.

A fresh-faced teenager was on debut in the Mornington Peninsula league.
Ahead of his first match, his coach assigned him the task of following Sorrento’s Luke Tapscott around for the afternoon.

Tapscott made note of the newcomer at the first bounce: “On debut, young fella?,” he asked.

To which the debutant nodded nervously.

“Get your notepad out,” Tapscott encouraged.

A shove to create space, a clean gather from the tap and a pinpoint kick to a leading forward later, Tapscott followed up his swagger with action.

Backing it up is something the former AFL-Demon has done whole local career.

But while he played through that period at Sorrento with such liberty, Tapscott conceded he was trapped by a burning frustration that took years to overcome.

Walking into Melbourne in 2009, the kid from country South Australia felt achieving premiership and Brownlow success was the benchmark.

[PLAYERCARD]Luke Tapscott[/PLAYERCARD] was among Melbourne’s 11 top-20 draft picks in four years.

Luke Tapscott was among Melbourne’s 11 top-20 draft picks in four years.
Restricted by injury and in a dark time of Melbourne’s history, Tapscott’s relationship with football quickly changed.

“Easiest way to sum it up, looking back on it now, footy went from fun and everything I loved doing to really feeling like a job,” he said.

“I think because we were no good, everyone was walking around on egg shells and everything we did was judged.

“I kind of sum it up with, I learned everything I wouldn’t put in place at a footy club now if I was to run one.

“Speaking to other mates that got drafted at the same time the difference was the development program was missing.

“We got rid of a lot of leaders and the losing culture was just embedded in the joint.”

Tapscott on the move.

Tapscott on the move.
Tapscott celebrates a goal.

Tapscott celebrates a goal.
Tapscott, who was delisted at the end of 2014 after 48 games, described his exit from the system as “horrible”.

“The last six months at the club, I was injured, I had two bulged discs in my back that they couldn’t diagnose so I kept doing my hammy,” he said.

“It was frustrating because I couldn’t do what I wanted to do and I knew I was out of contract.

“The pressure of that, and seeing my career slowly slip away, it was a horrible time.”

Tapscott, 32, can remember his exit meeting with list manager Josh Mahoney and how he dealt with its impact the wrong way.

“I was expecting to take my own pen in and sign my contract and he said ‘nah, it’s all over’ – I just remember it being a complete blur,” he said.

“Going home, grabbing some cold ones out of the fridge and trying to deal with it that way – which is not the right way to do it.

“I probably tried to deal with it like that for a while to tell you the truth and I didn’t have the ability to train, I needed back surgery and was out of action for six months.

“It was a shitty time that I don’t like looking back on but there were some lessons that probably took me five years to learn … I was just so devastated.

“It’s only taken me the last few years to really get over that, leave it and move on.

“I have come back to local footy, found a love for footy again, absolutely frothed it down at Sorrento and came here to Chelsea Heights and it’s the same thing.”

Tapscott left Melbourne and joined Sorrento in the MPFNL. Picture: Andy Brownbill

Tapscott left Melbourne and joined Sorrento in the MPFNL. Picture: Andy Brownbill
When Tapscott joined Sorrento through his relationship with Ben and Troy Schwarze, he immediately took command of the competition.

Having “a grand-old time” with the Sharks, Tapscott claimed multiple premierships, best and fairests and was a supreme on-field leader.

That leadership inspired the Sharks to prematurely push him into a coaching position.

Despite steering Sorrento to two successive grand finals, Tapscott was eventually sacked by the Sharks in 2021.

Still keen on coaching at some stage, Tapscott will reflect on that period once he steps off the field as a player.

“I almost coached as a captain and looking back on it, it was a big downfall,” he said.

“I knew that in a way so I tried to put more into coaching so I went 50 per cent coaching, 50 per cent playing and I wasn’t doing a great job at both.

“As a player I am always one like ‘alright, jump on my back, let’s go’, but the biggest lesson with coaching is you have to delegate, have to give responsibility to others, you can’t shoulder it all.

“Everything I tried to do was by action but as a coach you can go with words and decisions, which I have only learnt reflecting on it all.

“I will probably go into coaching again once I am done playing but I wouldn’t do it to myself with a young family at the moment and I have fallen back in love with playing.”

Tapscott fights off a tackler. (Photo by Josh Chadwick)

Tapscott fights off a tackler. (Photo by Josh Chadwick)
Despite being better for the experience as a coach, the departure from the Sharks, simultaneous with Covid, pushed Tapscott to another turning point.

Tapscott decided to disconnect from his relationship with alcohol and start running with neighbour – and then Chelsea Heights coach – Josh Bull.

The 5am runs led Tapscott to the Demons while the separation from alcohol led him to the happiest and most fulfilled he’s ever been.

“There were just a couple of decisions while I was on the grog where the next day I would say ‘I am not proud of that’,” he said.

“I wasn’t so much relying on it but I was drinking too much and I’m just an all-or-nothing person so I thought ‘stuff it, I will give it up for 12 months’, then I just thought ‘life is great, life is going well so let’s keep going’.

“The missus is happy, kids are awesome; I love the family side of it where you don’t waste a day.

“When I was drinking I was trying to impress other people, this is who they want me to be, there’s none of that now, I am me, if you like me, you like me.

“I have found people are drawn to that and people are inspired by it, ‘why aren’t you drinking? ‘Because I don’t drink anymore’, ‘Oh s**t, I wish I could do that’.

“It was tough to start with but I would get the pep up from going and getting through an event without having a beer.”

Tapscott is looking forward to another big year for Chelsea Heights. Picture: Valeriu Campan

Tapscott is looking forward to another big year for Chelsea Heights. Picture: Valeriu Campan
While he has learnt to be fulfilled with what he has achieved on the football field, Tapscott answered promptly when asked what he is most proud of.

“My kids,” he said.

The MPFNL debutant came away with a lesson from Tapscott at the peak of his powers but it’s he who has learnt the most from his football experience.

TAPSCOTT’S BEST WITH AND AGAINST:​

JAMES HALLAHAN, Sorrento: “James has been a stalwart down there for forever and a day, I don’t know how he didn’t make it to that higher level. With the size he is, the skills he’s got, he’s got everything you want as a footballer. Maybe it is a case of the wrong place, wrong time. He was one of the standouts down there ... I tried to poach him over to the Heights but he’s too loyal.”
KYLE HUTCHISON, Frankston YCW now East Brighton: “He was just stupidly good. Watching him and watching some of his games, not always against us, he’s one player that you give, 10, five minutes, even a stoppage and you’ll go ‘oh yep, there’s four possessions and a goal’. He would have to be one of the better local footballers.”

Despite how bad North and West Coast have been the past few years it's hard to imagine any team falling to the depths that we did over that period in so many facets of the operation of the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back