Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, no, not really. The Roman Republic was more or less constantly at war with either some other mob or itself during the Republican phase
The failings of the Republican system can be traced back to Marius etc… and the populists that proceeded him abusing the Tribune of the Plebs position – something which Caesar also did. The Roman system was based around “proving oneself” etc...a fertile ground for an Egomaniac.

Julius Caesar wandered back over a certain river with a single legion and basically sat on an uncomfortable chair waiting for someone to have the balls to turf him out of it
He was willing to disband his legions in gaul with the exception of one – Cato ****ed this up because he was a stupid idiot (insert: the whole Pompey and Caesar senate disband your army circus). Nobody kicked Caesar out after he won the Civil war because all the people that opposed him were dead (mostly) and he stacked the senate with people loyal to him.

Mostly because back in the Republican days, Roman soldiers were paid mostly in booty from successful campaigns against... well, everyone... rather than out of the republican coffers.
Roman soldiers became more loyal to their Generals than to their country – this can be blamed on the military reform that was instituted due to the lack of landowners (land was being consolidated by wealthy landowners)

So no one else had troops that gave a crap, and Ole Julius had some hard men at his side who certainly did give a crap because he'd made them relatively wealthy over the last few years, at the expense of the Gauls. Loyalty, you see. Very important thing, it is
Caesar was a Soldier’s General and his men loved him, but that didn’t stop a legion from cracking the shits at him (Caesar guilted them back into fighting for him). However that did not stop Lepidus from telling Caesar to get ****ed multiple times and join the Pompey faction during the Civil War.

Thing is, old Julius never actually was an emperor of Rome. He just made himself Consul (dictator) for life, a bit like that Asian bloke up north did a while back. And even after they got rid of him, stabby stab stab in the name of the republic and all that, they still couldn't get the republic back up and running again,
That’s because the idiot senate gave Caesar a proper funeral rather than throwing his body into the Tiber River just like Sulla did to Marius. Instead, Marc ****ing Anthony was given the opportunity to turn Rome into a circus when he gave a speech about Caesar at the funeral – turning the crowd into bloodthirsty morons – allegedly the crowd ripped the limbs off a person who they believed was involved in the killing of Caesar.
Caesar would walk around Rome in purple because that was the colour of royalty (Go Dockers). He also put a show on at a religious festival with Marc Anthony when Anthony tried to give Caesar a Diadem – Cicero called Anthony out over this. He definitely wanted to be king.

Thing is, though, that Rome reached it's zenith in terms of power and authority a good couple of hundred years after all this happened. The republic couldn't hold a candle to the Empire, mostly because very little got done under the consuls while they were busy plotting against each other,
Idiot Emperors were also responsible for the downfall of the Empire (there were other factors) – Also having an Emperor didn’t magically stop the plotting against each other. The problem with the Republic was the use of the Tribune position to essentially gridlock the senate. Furthermore, wealthy landowners who had consolidated much of the land and they didn’t want to give it up. This led to the reforming of the military (no longer had to own land). The rich landowners caused populists to emerge etc…

oral of the story? Two coaches, nah. Won't work, never has.
One hard nosed son of a bitch in charge getting things done? Yep. That's how I want it.

You know your history. I would have cited the battle of the Trebia River as a better example when a great general is better than two consuls. Hannibal smashed the Romans because the two consuls disagreed on the tactics to use against Hannibal.

Tl;dr: The Republic was held hostage by dickhead Tribunes like Clodius
Clarko is not coming to Freo

Last edited:
The failings of the Republican system can be traced back to Marius etc… and the populists that proceeded him abusing the Tribune of the Plebs position – something which Caesar also did. The Roman system was based around “proving oneself” etc...a fertile ground for an Egomaniac.

He was willing to disband his legions in gaul with the exception of one – Cato f’ed this up because he was a stupid idiot (insert: the whole Pompey and Caesar senate disband your army circus). Nobody kicked Caesar out after he won the Civil war because all the people that opposed him were dead (mostly) and he stacked the senate with people loyal to him.

Roman soldiers became more loyal to their Generals than to their country – this can be blamed on the military reform that was instituted due to the lack of landowners (land was being consolidated by wealthy landowners)

Caesar was a Soldier’s General and his men loved him, but that didn’t stop a legion from cracking the s**ts at him (Caesar guilted them back into fighting for him). However that did not stop Lepidus from telling Caesar to get f’ed multiple times and join the Pompey faction during the Civil War.

That’s because the idiot senate gave Caesar a proper funeral rather than throwing his body into the Tiber River just like Sulla did to Marius. Instead, Marc ******* Anthony was given the opportunity to turn Rome into a circus when he gave a speech about Caesar at the funeral – turning the crowd into bloodthirsty morons – allegedly the crowd ripped the limbs off a person who they believed was involved in the killing of Caesar.
Caesar would walk around Rome in purple because that was the colour of royalty (Go Dockers). He also put a show on at a religious festival with Marc Anthony when Anthony tried to give Caesar a Diadem – Cicero called Anthony out over this. He definitely wanted to be king.

Idiot Emperors were also responsible for the downfall of the Empire (there were other factors) – Also having an Emperor didn’t magically stop the plotting against each other. The problem with the Republic was the use of the Tribune position to essentially gridlock the senate. Furthermore, wealthy landowners who had consolidated much of the land and they didn’t want to give it up. This led to the reforming of the military (no longer had to own land). The rich landowners caused populists to emerge etc…

You know your history. I would have cited the battle of the Trebia River as a better example when a great general is better than two consuls. Hannibal smashed the Romans because the two consuls disagreed on the tactics to use against Hannibal.

Tl;dr: The Republic was held hostage by dickhead Tribunes like Clodius
Clarko is not coming to Freo

Alright Mr. History Channel, can you and your mates cut it out. Need to get this thread back on topic.

Now tell me more of this Emily Ratajkowski person I keep hearing about?

Last edited:

Well, no, not really. The Roman Republic was more or less constantly at war with either some other mob or itself during the Republican phase, until one Gaius Julius Caesar wandered back over a certain river with a single legion and basically sat on an uncomfortable chair waiting for someone to have the balls to turf him out of it - which no one did. Mostly because back in the Republican days, Roman soldiers were paid mostly in booty from successful campaigns against... well, everyone... rather than out of the republican coffers. So no one else had troops that gave a crap, and Ole Julius had some hard men at his side who certainly did give a crap because he'd made them relatively wealthy over the last few years, at the expense of the Gauls. Loyalty, you see. Very important thing, it is.

Thing is, old Julius never actually was an emperor of Rome. He just made himself Consul (dictator) for life, a bit like that Asian bloke up north did a while back. And even after they got rid of him, stabby stab stab in the name of the republic and all that, they still couldn't get the republic back up and running again, too many blokes wanting their say on how things should be done. So they split it into three, and that only lasted for a short while until Mark Antony went native and got it on with a (reputably) fine looking local lass on the other side of the Mediterranean, and started another war, only to get himself knocked off and leaving Octavian to become Caesar Augustus - the first actual Emperor of Rome. Not to mention one of the best ones, even if he did have a bit of a stick up his arse in some ways. He wanted Rome to be a family club, you see, and that didn't go down too well with those Romans who liked to get it on and party a bit.

Thing is, though, that Rome reached it's zenith in terms of power and authority a good couple of hundred years after all this happened. The republic couldn't hold a candle to the Empire, mostly because very little got done under the consuls while they were busy plotting against each other, while the Emperors sort of just said "go do as you're told or I'll do bad things to you". It was a bit like comparing Richard Branson to Centrelink in terms of efficiency.

Moral of the story? Two coaches, nah. Won't work, never has.
One hard nosed son of a bitch in charge getting things done? Yep. That's how I want it.
this is one impressive first post!

I thought he was under contract at Collingwood? So his options were be released for a promotion or stay put.
I think Mike needs to shift off into retirement. The interviews he does with AFL related people are so long and disjointed.

Whilst I’m sure the first part is correct surely you would add something along the lines of “if Longmuir is unsuccessful for the Freo job and should he leave the Pies”. I would have either would be a long shot to be honest. Why leave the Pies? It was known that Adelaide was after J-Lo at end of 2017 - the same time J-Lo left WCE and the same time J-Lo left Adelaide. Also they worked together as assistants at WCE.

If Longmuir ends up being our preferred coaching candidate and he turns us down to go to an assistant role with Carlton we have even bigger problems that’s I thought and I should have put some money on Clive Waterhouse at $41/1 odds.

Yes, Hagdorn reporting this morning that second interviews are being held next week for 4 applicants and not 5. He is also suggesting that Jlo won't get the gig or has pulled out as he may not think he is ready for a senior coaching role as yet.

Hagdorn thinks the 4 candidates who are going through to the next round are Sumich, Voss, Solomon and one other un-named candidate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt a lot of teams are keen on Justin. I also doubt he's made his mind up yet.

There may be excellent reasons to remain in Melbourne. I assume he has a young family?

Taking on the Freo gig almost carries a sense of selfless nobility bordering on charity - trying to salvage our list, contending with the WA media circus and public furnace, and a myriad of other factors.

Takes enormous bravery.

Edit: plus there's no guarantee of walking into an excellent pay packet.

Last edited:
Yes, Hagdorn reporting this morning that second interviews are being held next week for 4 applicants and not 5. He is also suggesting that Jlo won't get the gig or has pulled out as he may not think he is ready for a senior coaching role as yet.

Hagdorn thinks the 4 candidates who are going through to the next round are Sumich, Voss, Solomon and one other un-named candidate.
There was a lot of what’s, Ifs & maybes in his vomit this morning.

So Peter Bell has told every journalist in the country that we are going to take our time and explore our options in order to make the right decision when appointing our next coach, yet Hagdorn wants it done yesterday.

Carlton and Adelaide seem to be waiting to see what happens with Jlo and Fremantle before approaching him, but why would he leave Collingwood to take another assistant coaching role?

Last edited:
Will anyone be surprised if Freo stuff this up, honestly?
It'll be just like the draft.

Media about a player gets them talked up, we pick a skinny kid from Claremont. Huge disaster. What a stuff up. Turns out ok.

We won't know how well the appointment decision was made until the results start coming in, if we get a golden run of injury it will help that coach look good too.

Part of me thinks Sumich is being talked up by those two because it will give them something to have a go about during the off season and even if everything but the coaching goes wrong they can set the narrative that the coaching appointment should have been Sumich.

If I'm writing their long term plan for discussion points, that's what I'm telling them to do. Promote someone who isn't a chance so you can talk about how it was a mistake later. Especially because new coach and new game plan will probably take half a year to adjust to so you'll get plenty of traction off it from losses.

It's win win. Mail PR cheques to 31 Veterans Parade.

It'll be just like the draft.

Media about a player gets them talked up, we pick a skinny kid from Claremont. Huge disaster. What a stuff up. Turns out ok.

We won't know how well the appointment decision was made until the results start coming in, if we get a golden run of injury it will help that coach look good too.

Part of me thinks Sumich is being talked up by those two because it will give them something to have a go about during the off season and even if everything but the coaching goes wrong they can set the narrative that the coaching appointment should have been Sumich.

Or we pick a skinny half back flanker from Melbourne over the KPP from Perth with character issues, that turned out well.

Or we pick a skinny half back flanker from Melbourne over the KPP from Perth with character issues, that turned out well.
We took the 6'2" guy with dual side great kicking over the 6'3" guy with behavioral issues and a brain scan showing he might be one concussion away from his career ending. If only we had given them both a heart scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back