Is the Roosters dynasty at an end??

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
Having appeared in 4 of the last 5 grand finals... will it be the bulldogs with the next dynasty? Willie Mason thinks so.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Clive Churchill Medallist Willie Mason has predicted a winning dynasty for the Bulldogs after they claimed their first title since 1995.

Mason is one of several key players of Sunday's premiership outfit who will be off-contract at the end of next season.

The towering forward showed why the 'Dogs can't afford to lose him as he constantly made in-roads into the Sydney Roosters' defensive line in a thrilling 16-13 grand final victory at Telstra Stadium.

"The next contract I do will be to set my life up so I'm going to be looking for the best deal possible for me," said Mason, before joking he would retire following Sunday's win.

"I want to build a dynasty here. There's ten class players here.

"You'll probably see tomorrow when they pick the Kangaroos side how many get in."

Mason has blossomed into a genuine leader at the club since last year's Kangaroos tour of New Zealand and Great Britain.

"This year I've worked really hard and I want respect when I walk into rep sides," said Mason.

"Maybe some people think I shouldn't have deserved it but this year I can hold my head up high and if I do get picked in sides I'll try my best."

It hasn't been easy for the 24-year-old Mason, who's been dogged by controversy in 2004.

"Steve Waugh said a very important thing - attitudes are contagious, is mine worth catching?" revealed Mason about a chat the former Test cricket captain had with 'Dogs players last weekend.

"I already had that attitude before Origin. I didn't want to go to Origin and say 'Everyone's against me'. I want to keep my head up because I knew I didn't do anything wrong."

Roosters coach Ricky Stuart, who was credited with helping change Mason's attitude when he made the Country Origin side, said the 115kg forward had a big future.

"Willie Mason turned his football around. Willie is a guy who can be his own worst enemy," said Stuart.

"I think he's been fairly similar to Brad (Fittler).

"He's learnt along the way that he is somebody out there to the fans and the supporters and the public that every move he makes he is watched.

"He has to realise he has a responsibility. He's realised that now and Willie Mason has turned himself around.

"I think it's good for our game because he's a character and good on him.

"The tough guys turn themselves around. They realise they've made a few wrong plays.

"When I take Brad Fittler or Luke Ricketson or Craig Wing somewhere and kids get a smile on their face, I think you're privileged to be in a position to make someone happy.

"Whenever I see Willie Mason, I see kids smiling."

I think the Roosters are far from finished.

Some reasonable signings next year ( Roberts,Monaghan, Firman), and also some tremendous young talent coming through ( Soward and Moke and probably 10 others..)

Bulldogs will go alright again next year, then will probably lose some big names the following season and come back to the pack....

I think both the roosters and the bulldogs will be top 4 again next year.

I'm not so sure about the Panthers. They may be on the slide a little similar to the Warriors (though I doubt as badly).

The Storm and Cowboys should have good years again but I can't see them threatening for the title.

Warriors can only improve and won't accept anything other than a playoff spot I imagine.

Broncos will be there or there about but won't win the comp. Dragons will be too inconsistent again, Raiders will struggle as will the Sea Eagles, Sharks and Tigers...

The more I think about it the more I come back to the Roosters and the Bulldogs in a repeat of this season.

What dynasty?

They made the Grand Final 4 times in the last 5 years for 1 Claytons premiership.

If you're reffering to a dynasty of 'choking', then you'd be on the money.

It's also interesting to note that in the group of top 4-6 teams, the Roosters have the worst record within that group when they meet each other.

They've revolutionised the defensive side of the game, but they lack something else - as was evident of Sunday night this year and last year.

Brisbane, Penrith, Canterbury - owning the Roosters when it counts since 2000 :D

Hicham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the Roosters dynasty at an end??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back