Analysis Is our 2021 team better than our 2000 team?

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer the current team, reliable defenders, dominant ruck, star midfielders and more than capable forward line.

I think by the years end we were clearly top 3 list. We didn't fluke a gf run we won 9 out of 10 leading into the gf. The 1 game we lost was a 1 point loss to North where they kicked 10 in a quarter. Powell missed from the square as well.

I think by the years end we were clearly top 3 list. We didn't fluke a gf run we won 9 out of 10 leading into the gf. The 1 game we lost was a 1 point loss to North where they kicked 10 in a quarter. Powell missed from the square as well.
North were also the reigning premiers and eventual top 4 prelim team.

As CA said above 2000 was similar to 2018 with a young getting hot. That team matured with finals in 2002, 04, 05, and 06, but never finished top 4 or made it to a prelim.

Carlton were crippled with Kouta doing a knee and North had a better side than us IMO

Carlton were crippled with Kouta doing a knee and North had a better side than us IMO
I think we passed both teams by years end. Carlton's list finished bottom only two years later, North's reign was done, I still remember going to that qualifying final where essendon flogged them by 120 and then we flogged them by 50.

We have a better list now, 2000 was a lot like 2018. We hit a rich vein of form in the finals with young players stepping up.
We finished the h&a season in 3rd

1994 still the most talented list I've seen in the flesh for us from a pure name perspective. But they were a bunch of injury prone bastards sadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Hibberd - May - Petty
HB: Salem - Lever - Rivers
C: Brayshaw - Viney - Langdon
HF: Neal-Bullen - McDonald - Spargo
F: Pickett - Weideman/B Brown - Fritsch
R: Gawn - Oliver - Petracca
I: Harmes - Hunt - Jackson - Jordon

B: Jetta - O McDonald - Hibberd
HB: Salem - Frost/Lever - Lewis
C: Tyson - Brayshaw - Jones
HF: Neal-Bullen - T McDonald - Hannan
F: Melksham - Hogan/Weideman - Spargo
R: Gawn - Oliver - Viney
I: Fritsch - Garlett - Harmes - vandenBerg

B: Whelan - Nicholson - Collins
HB: Walsh - Ingerson - S Febey
C: Powell - Woewodin - Yze
HF: Robertson - Schwarz - Bruce
F: Green - Neitz - Farmer
R: White - Leoncelli - Rigoni
I: Grgic - Johnstone - A McDonald - Simmonds

B: Seecamp - Shanahan - S Febey
HB: M Febey - Ingerson - Hopgood
C: Yze - Rigoni - Woewodin
HF: J McDonald - Schwarz - A McDonald
F: Farmer - Neitz - Lyon
R: White - Viney - Tingay
I: Grgic - Leoncelli - Robertson - Stynes

B: Prymke - Wight - S Febey
HB: B Lovett - Neitz - Hopgood
C: Tingay - G Lovett - Obst
HF: M Febey - Schwarz - Lovell
F: Jakovich/Pike - Lyon - Charles
R: Stynes - Viney - Dyson
I: Irving - Lovell - Norrish

Last edited:
In 2000, we made the Grand Final. How does our current best 22 compare?
Better, much better; hands down.

This current team has learnt to run both ways and work as a team when we're without the footy. Its far better in responsibility than all our teams of the 90's, and 2000's.

This team/squad, are not, 'front runners'.

We are better this time.

In 2000 we hit form at the right time but we were essentially underpinned by a fleet of super running mids with good foots skills.

Daniher had them so well drilled on rotations and breaking down opposition with gut running through the corridor.

We ran over most sides but too soft to win a GF and that was proven when the Bombers bashed us up.

This time we are hard in the middle, have a strong backline and have genuine star power on the list.

Not saying we’ll win it, but we will be up there for enough years to have a bloody good crack at finally jagging one soon.

B: Hibberd - May - Petty
HB: Salem - Lever - Rivers
C: Brayshaw - Viney - Langdon
HF: Neal-Bullen - McDonald - Spargo
F: Pickett - Weideman/B Brown - Fritsch
R: Gawn - Oliver - Petracca
I: Harmes - Hunt - Jackson - Jordon

B: Jetta - O McDonald - Hibberd
HB: Salem - Frost/Lever - Lewis
C: Tyson - Brayshaw - Jones
HF: Neal-Bullen - T McDonald - Hannan
F: Melksham - Hogan/Weideman - Spargo
R: Gawn - Oliver - Viney
I: Fritsch - Garlett - Harmes - vandenBerg

B: Whelan - Nicholson - Collins
HB: Walsh - Ingerson - S Febey
C: Powell - Woewodin - Yze
HF: Robertson - Schwarz - Bruce
F: Green - Neitz - Farmer
R: White - Leoncelli - Rigoni
I: Grgic - Johnstone - A McDonald - Simmonds

B: Seecamp - Shanahan - S Febey
HB: M Febey - Ingerson - Hopgood
C: Yze - Rigoni - Woewodin
HF: J McDonald - Schwarz - A McDonald
F: Farmer - Neitz - Lyon
R: White - Viney - Tingay
I: Grgic - Leoncelli - Robertson - Stynes

B: Prymke - Wight - S Febey
HB: B Lovett - Neitz - Hopgood
C: Tingay - G Lovett - Obst
HF: M Febey - Schwarz - Lovell
F: Jakovich/Pike - Lyon - Charles
R: Stynes - Viney - Dyson
I: Irving - Lovell - Norrish
Johnstone and McDonald on the bench batted pretty deep in 2000

Lol, OP's account is dead a day after joining.

I guess the flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long.

Goodnight sweet prince.

Our forwardline was stacked in 2000. Backline workmanlike really. If we had the forwardline we had in 2000 with the backline we have now, it wouldn't matter who was in the guts..

Our forwardline was stacked in 2000. Backline workmanlike really. If we had the forwardline we had in 2000 with the backline we have now, it wouldn't matter who was in the guts..
What if the lineup was:
C: Morton, Magner, Blease
R: Meesen, Valenti, Couch

HUH? HUH?

I'm a bit young to remember the 2000 season perfectly so I am curious about how Woewodin's 2000 season compares against what Oliver and Petracca are doing now. Can anyone offer a bit of insight?

Statistically Oliver gets a lot more of the ball than Woewodin but it's a different game now compared to then.

Looking back at the 2000 Brownlow voting, interesting to note that 15 of his 24 Brownlow votes came in the first 8 rounds.

I'm a bit young to remember the 2000 season perfectly so I am curious about how Woewodin's 2000 season compares against what Oliver and Petracca are doing now. Can anyone offer a bit of insight?

Statistically Oliver gets a lot more of the ball than Woewodin but it's a different game now compared to then.

Looking back at the 2000 Brownlow voting, interesting to note that 15 of his 24 Brownlow votes came in the first 8 rounds.

Woewodin shouldn't have won the Brownlw in 2000. Played above himself but still wasn't one of the best 5 mids in the comp like Trac and Oliver are now.

He was more the sort of player who'd standout when we were going good but would go somehat missing when we were going bad. Icing type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back