Injury Injury Concerns

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Here is a list of substantial injuries to a number of our draftees within a year of them being recruited, I think the exception is Trengove and Scully, but you can't help but think it was a build up from their workload. Before I get abused, yes, I'm conscious to the fact that some of these injuries were unavoidable and unlucky, but there is no hiding the fact that a number of our young players have suffered some early injuries and the worrying sign is that is doesn't seem to be changing.

2012 Draft:
Pick 3
Jimmy Tompous: Ankle Injury
Pick 27
Jack Viney: Toe Injury

Pick 36
Rory Taggert: Back Injury
Pick 52
Josh Tynan: Toe/Foot Injury, Hamstring

2010 Draft:
Pick 50
Troy Davis: Thyroid disorder
RD Pick 31
Michael Evans: Back
RD Pick 63
Cameron Johnston: Shin

2009 Draft:
Pick 1
Tom Scully: Knee
Pick 2
Jack Trengove: Groin, who knows what else
Pick 11
Jordan Gysbertz: Ankle, something else
Pick 18
Luke Tapscott: Hamstring
Pick 34
Max Gawn: Knee
Pick 50
Jack Fitzpatrick: Ankle

2008 Draft:
Pick 17
Sam Blease: Leg
Pick 19:
James Strauss: Leg
Pick 51
Neville Jetta: Groin, Shoulder, Ankle
Pick 1 (Pre-Season)
Liam Jurrah: Arm
Pick 64
Ro Bail: Quad
Pick 1 (Rookie)
Jordie McKenzie: Groin

Most of them unavoidable and they would happen at most clubs. If you go through many draft picks most spend some time on the sidelines with some form of injuries. We're no different.

Most of them unavoidable and they would happen at most clubs. If you go through many draft picks most spend some time on the sidelines with some form of injuries. We're no different.
I disagree, I think a lot of them have come down to workload and recovery. Tynan and Viney's hotspots certainly justified by workload, Evans and Taggerts back problem were reoccurring. Johnston's shin was definitely workload. There are also 3-4 soft tissue injuries which could be argued that are avoidable. Injuries happen in footy yes, but I'd guess we'd have more than the majority of clubs.

I disagree, I think a lot of them have come down to workload and recovery. Tynan and Viney's hotspots certainly justified by workload, Evans and Taggerts back problem were reoccurring. Johnston's shin was definitely workload. There are also 3-4 soft tissue injuries which could be argued that are avoidable. Injuries happen in footy yes, but I'd guess we'd have more than the majority of clubs.

Well if it's workload tell me what we're doing that's so different to everyone else.

Not enough workload, nek minnit, too much workload

The kids always get a few injuries along the way. We might have gotten a few more than our fair share but that's footy.

The kids always get a few injuries along the way. We might have gotten a few more than our fair share but that's footy.
Every footballer in the league gets injured at some point in their careers, even Jimmy Stynes, he just played through though

Every footballer in the league gets injured at some point in their careers, even Jimmy Stynes, he just played through though

He was indestructible though. Different breed was our Jimmy! ;)

Thyroid disorders are caused from being a first year player now?

Obviously kidding there, But I have to disagree. It seems you're looking for something that you can say is a problem with us. Every club has rookies go down with injury due to them playing a first season. Some worse than others, but it always happens. The games A LOT faster, and they hit a lot harder - there's always going to be injuries to first year players.

3/4 of that list is Baileys doing , highlighting the folly of his(or schwabs) all youth policy. As far as i am concerned , the re-build started the minute Schwab went . Where is the President?, where is the board now , hiding ? Tell me the point of having a review of the football dept if the same people who created this mess do the review. And to Gary Lyon, please , i'd have a review into just how we picked our last 2 coaches before lobbing hand grenades at Neeld .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By and large I think I agree with PureFooty here, we do seem to have quite a few first- and second-year players going down with med/long-term chronic injuries, stress reactions and the like. It's definitely a concern, or maybe it WAS a concern in the Bailey days but not so much now.

HOWEVER, there are mitigating factors IMO.
1) these are young kids that only the dedicated supporters know about. I'm sure if you went to every other club they would have a decent list of kids who develop problems when adjusting to AFL level, but unless you follow a club closely you don't hear about those sorts of problems to no-name kids.
2) I seem to have forgotten what else I was going to say here. Carry on.

I generally agree with the sentiment that injury is part of footy, and don't think there is any 'evidence' as such that it can be held against our fitness team.

However, there is also the consideration that some of these injuries (especially stress related) may have been a result of mismanagement in junior football; developing bodies are much more susceptible to these things and also junior clubs probably don't have the access to top-flight medical staff that AFL clubs do.

However, there is also the consideration that some of these injuries (especially stress related) may have been a result of mismanagement in junior football; developing bodies are much more susceptible to these things and also junior clubs probably don't have the access to top-flight medical staff that AFL clubs do.
From memory: Taggert, Evans, Gawn, Scully, Tapscott and McKenzie were drafted either already injured or having had problems with their bodies before. When you throw in Blease and Strauss's leg breaks it means I don't think we have a hell of a lot to complain about.

3/4 of that list is Baileys doing , highlighting the folly of his(or schwabs) all youth policy. As far as i am concerned , the re-build started the minute Schwab went . Where is the President?, where is the board now , hiding ? Tell me the point of having a review of the football dept if the same people who created this mess do the review. And to Gary Lyon, please , i'd have a review into just how we picked our last 2 coaches before lobbing hand grenades at Neeld .
Rubbish. Maybe you're happy to believe that but who the heck says that the players are?

I believe we need to rebuild the Whole club , not just the playing (and coaching )group . Can't tell you what the players believe ,and no am not happy at all about any of this .
This club has swum in mediocrity for 5 decades , every now and then popping its head above the water to breathe in the finals, only to sink back down again.
That is a failure to administer the club properly. Salary cap rorting, playing for draft picks , need i go on.
That the current coach and playing group are carrying the can for decades of shit , says it all really.

Thyroid disorders are caused from being a first year player now?

Obviously kidding there, But I have to disagree. It seems you're looking for something that you can say is a problem with us. Every club has rookies go down with injury due to them playing a first season. Some worse than others, but it always happens. The games A LOT faster, and they hit a lot harder - there's always going to be injuries to first year players.
I'm not making excuses, we are where we are because of a lot of factors. As I said in OP, some of these injuries were unavoidable, but there were a fair few soft tissue injuries and a couple of bone related perhaps due to workload. Just an observation at the end of the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back