History of the Parramatta Eels

• Thread starter Briedis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

B

Briedis

Club History
The Parramatta Eels were founded in 1947 and played their first game on April 12 of the same year. A crowd of about 6000 turned out for the Eels first competition game against Newtown at Cumberland Oval, which is now the site of Parramatta Stadium.

The Club struggled with results until the 1975 season when Norm Provan coached the First Grade team to the semi-finals and Terry Fearnley's Reserve Grade team won the Reserve Grade competition.

Parramatta eventually won a First Grade title on March 21, 1975 when they were successful in the pre-season Wills Cup.

The Eels' First Grade Grand Final debut came in 1976. They were beaten 13-10 by Manly :D :cool: and in the Grand Final the following year were defeated by St George after the first ever Grand Final replay.

Parramatta finally experienced First Grade success in the 1981 Grand Final when they defeated Newtown by 20 points to 11. The team included such greats as Bob O'Reilly, Steve Edge, Brett Kenny, Steve Ella, Ron Hilditch, Mick Cronin, Ray Price and Peter Sterling.

They once again proved successful in 1982 when they defeated Manly 21-8 and defended their premiership the next year, defeating Manly again by 18 points to 6. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Canterbury beat them 6-4 in the Grand Final of 1984 and the Eels were again victors in 1986 beating Canterbury 4-2. This coincided with the opening of Parramatta Stadium, which was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on March 5, 1986.

In the 1999 season, the Eels emerged as genuine premiership contenders in a united competition. Under Head Coach Brian Smith, the Club won the District Club Championship. The Jersey Flegg and First Grade Teams were defeated in the Grand Final Qualifier, with the Harold Matthews, S.G. Ball and First Division Grand Final winners. This success is expected to continue in the 2000 season.

The Parramatta District Rugby League Club can reflect proudly on its achievements from its opening game in 1947 to its premiership successes. Overall the Club is one which prides itself on being successful and professional.

4 premierships.....How many wooden sppons Hippie? :D

I got this from the Parra site on ww.RLeague.com

I imagine that after the fold of Cumberland that a new, separate club was formed as Parramatta that was in no way connected to Cumberland.

Do you know any details on whether there was a connection?

No connection what so ever other than the team colours and the home ground. I just mention this crap so people think Parramatta was a founding club.

Ha ha! OK. I thought it was a bit strange that it wasn't on the Eels website in their history.;)

Your secret is safe with me!:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back