Hamill this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Casey Scorpions - 18.9-117 http://www.sportingpulse.com/nf/team_info.cgi?id=4380379&c=1-3020-0-52851-0 Northern Bullants 4.5-29 http://www.sportingpulse.com/nf/team_info.cgi?id=4380371&c=1-3020-0-52851-0
Casey Scorpions
Goal Kickers: A. Hamill 4, B. Fraser 2, D. Armitage 2, J. Sweeney 2, N. Carmody, S. Harrison, T. Makepeace, S. Birss, B. Brooks, A. McQualter, J. Geary, K. Matthews
Best Players: A. McQualter, S. Harrison, R. Eddy, K. Matthews, B. Brooks, N. Carmody

Northern Bullants
Goal Kickers: J. Houlihan, J. Anderson, M. Austin, S. Jacobs
Best Players: D. Teague, A. Raso, M. Austin, A. Iacobucci, L. Blackwell, S. Jacobs

Sammy played about 60-75% of 3/4 of the game, Goose maybe a tad more, both moved well, demanded the footy, and showed experience and class. Goose may be rushed back in for maxy, Sammy might benefit from 2 or 3 more (depending on the saints next couple of games as well)

Sammy played about 60-75% of 3/4 of the game

Haha good analysis, not having a go at you just sounded funny. He and Matty both sat out the last quarter as the scoprs were so far ahead. Both seniors and reserves look alot stronger with a few more saints players back from injury.

How much longer can we expect them to play 2nd's before they play with Saints again?

Haha good analysis, not having a go at you just sounded funny. He and Matty both sat out the last quarter as the scoprs were so far ahead. Both seniors and reserves look alot stronger with a few more saints players back from injury.

How much longer can we expect them to play 2nd's before they play with Saints again?

I had originally wrote about 3/4's of 3/4's, upon redinf had to change it!

"But Aaron Hamill, yet to play this season with a knee injury, has had another setback, rested this weekend after his comeback through the VFL last round caused swelling in the knee."

At the bottom of an article. ANybody know any more about this?

"But Aaron Hamill, yet to play this season with a knee injury, has had another setback, rested this weekend after his comeback through the VFL last round caused swelling in the knee."

At the bottom of an article. ANybody know any more about this?

I read in the Hearld Sun that the VFL coach is very hopeful that Hammil will be back playing for Caey this weekend.

I think he is no chance of a seniot recall since he missed last week for Casey.

i read somewhere the casey coach wasnt even told what was wrong or how long hamill will miss and was just told that he wouldnt be playing on the day

Unfortunately i don't think we will ever see Aaron Hamill play for stkilda again. And if he does he will be no where near 100%.

He has a degenerative knee joint. I imagine similar to what lance whitnall is going through. When you wear away the cartliage and bone rubs on bone, arthritis sets in and its all down hill from there. Very difficult to manage, modified training program, flare-ups etc..

Definitely doesn't look promising when you've had 14 rounds to recover, played 3/4 of a reserves game and then can't come up for the next week. He was reduced to stationary handball drills during the week after he played.

It's sad to see this happen to such a great player, we can only hope he defies the odds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really pisses me off when my mates say that aaron hamill doesnt exist and that he is the next clive waterhouse. makes me sad to think he wont play again

So st.kilda is stuck with Hammil for 2008? (contract) If we pay him out the money,and he retires, does this still get included in the salary cap? If it does, st.kilda is going to have a lot of money wasted in their salary cap (make it harder to recruit/keep players:mad:)

im pretty sure there is a way that after november or something his contract can be terminated and we pay him out outside the salary cap. but no certainties.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,22064525-2722,00.html

Saints' retirement option for Hamill Font Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print Greg Denham | July 13, 2007

ST KILDA star Aaron Hamill's latest injury setback is set to turn up the heat on the club's salary-cap pressures as it seeks to re-sign several of its big names.

After failing yet another comeback from a knee injury this month, Hamill is unlikely to play again. However, he is on a guaranteed contract for 2008, worth as much as $600,000.

St Kilda is not publicly talking about pushing him into retirement yet, but it may become a reality to ease salary-cap pressure next season. The club has yet to come to terms with Nick Riewoldt, Nick Dal Santo and Xavier Clarke, who are all out of contract at the end of this season.

Hamill's contract for 2008 could place severe pressure on the Saints' ability to retain one or two of their most experienced players.

St Kilda re-signed Hamill to a lucrative five-year deal, starting in 2004, which was heavily back-ended in the final year.

Hamill's manager David Allison yesterday said he had not been in contact with the Saints following his client's latest setback, but conceded it was likely Hamill, who turns 30 next month, could be asked to retire and accept a payout for less money.

"His deal is unconditional, but I'm happy to listen to what they (St Kilda) have got to say," Allison said.

If Hamill's career is cut short, he would have a choice of cutting his losses at a reduced rate, or staying on at his contracted remuneration but would have to be listed and continue to rehabilitate for another 12 months.

The Saints are unlikely to announce Hamill's retirement before the November national draft because next year's payout would have to be included in this year's salary cap.

Hamill's knee flared again after he made a comeback in the VFL almost a fortnight ago.

He kicked four goals in the lower grade in what was considered to be a stepping stone to a senior return for tonight's game against Adelaide.

Despite growing concerns that Hamill's career is finished, coach Ross Lyon this week remained optimistic.

"There's no doubt when the senior members of the team thought he was back the other week, they were through the roof," Lyon said. "He's a valuable resource, to have him on the ground would have some obvious benefits."

Hamill visited his surgeon on Tuesday, and although St Kilda has not passed on the results of the examination, he has since been listed as "indefinite".

"It just hasn't settled perfectly, but we think it will," Lyon said. "He won't play this week but he is progressing with a view to playing next week for (VFL affiliate club) Casey."

Lyon said the club was prepared to give Hamill as much time as he needed, as long as there was some hope of recovery. Hamill, who is perched on 98 games for St Kilda after crossing from Carlton at the end of 2000, has been restricted to just 21 senior games over the past three seasons.

Last season, Hamill damaged his posterior cruciate ligament in a collision with Geelong's Steve Johnson in round seven. He returned for the Saints' final three games, including their elimination final loss to Melbourne but was clearly not 100 per cent. Hamill had a setback in February, requiring further knee surgery.

"If the knee can't settle and he can't play ... the season's fading quickly," Lyon said. "Then we consult everyone, take it all on board and then map out a course that we can follow with an aim to Aaron playing senior football.

"We're persisting and persevering with an aim to seeing him back.

"The only thing that can enforce retirement is if there is no hope.

"But the consistent feedback we're getting from the surgeons is that there are a lot worse knees playing AFL football and tolerating the load."

So....if the saints announce Hamill's retirement after novemeber, we can pay him out the money, but it won't be included in the salary cap for 2008?

600k on hamill for the 2008 cap is a diaster!

So....if the saints announce Hamill's retirement after novemeber, we can pay him out the money, but it won't be included in the salary cap for 2008?

600k on hamill for the 2008 cap is a diaster!

Yes but were probably at 100% for 2007, so we may not have much choice

Remember though that next year perhaps

Gherig Big $
Voss
Blake and at least 1 or 2 other Ruckman

and a few 2 to 3rd year players won't be there as well

and maybe Harvey as well (1/2 Salary)

Is Hudgeton on the Veterans list yet?

??? Why would you do that. Hes tried his best body not up to it, unlike others. The Club signed him to a long deal so we have to live with it

Yes we do have to live with it.

I'm not a Hamill hater & I am pumped when he's out on the ground. My throw away one liner was a mix of being facetious and also being frustrated at not seeing his best game out on the park for a long time.

Record straightened.

I always love Sammy doing his thing, but when we signed him up for 5 years, I remember thinking, "oh,oh..." I just KNEW it would be a disaster. Such long term contracts always make me nervous.

While Hamill's famous determination to "get back on the park" is commendable, I think that if he really wants to serve the club, he should retire and refuse the payout - he's been given plenty of money for not much over the last two years, so I think that's fair. And I also think I heard somewhere that that's acceptable legally and for the salary cap issue, though I'm not sure. (Anybody know?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamill this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back