Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, he has been better this year, which coincides with him hitting the start of his peak age for performance.

I would guess that he will be at this level (injuries of course are the wild card) for the foreseeable future.

I think he is already the guy that the opposition targets, and he has performed anyway. He is so smart, and an amazing ball user and finisher in front of goals. But to me, his biggest strength is his ability to win contests inside 50. He is deceptively strong, and can take a contested mark against the opponents he will always get (ie. the oppositions best small defender). It is this rare combo of attributes that makes me compare him to T Greene from 3 years ago.

We will absolutely regret it if we don’t pay up to keep him.

You sure this isn’t Eddie Betts missus’ burner account 😂

I don't know why people constantly bring up how players all of a sudden play a lot better when up for a new contract. Being due for a new contract is akin to being under performance review at work, of course you are gonna pull your finger out and maybe stay that extra hour at the end of the day. Its normal for all of us.
Shows how "not good" Parf is.

In most every sport around the world, the myth around performance during and after “contract years” has been debunked.

It doesn’t make any difference.

It doesn't make any difference if you are a model professional i.e Joel Selwood. It makes a difference if you are at the other end of the spectrum

1718702764823.png

New contracts signed during 2015, 2017, 2021 and due to sign in 2024.

Only contract year there wasn't a spike was 2017 when he downed tools to go to a new club and signed a 4 year deal with Essendon at the end of the season rather than during it.

In most every sport around the world, the myth around performance during and after “contract years” has been debunked.

It doesn’t make any difference.

Yeah tbh if I were to hypothesise I’d say that if anything it’d be the opposite way around. Players would be more likely to have an above average season straight after signing a long term, lucrative contract purely because they’re likely to be in their prime performance years at that stage.

Now there are exceptions to the rule, but the more relevant question is, what evidence do you have that it’ll happen with Stengle? He was out of contract in 2023 and had his worst season with us. Shouldn’t that have been an up year if he only performs in contract years?

It doesn't make any difference if you are a model professional i.e Joel Selwood. It makes a difference if you are at the other end of the spectrum

View attachment 2023501

New contracts signed during 2015, 2017, 2021 and due to sign in 2024.

Only contract year there wasn't a spike was 2017 when he downed tools to go to a new club and signed a 4 year deal with Essendon at the end of the season rather than during it.
Wouldn’t he have cost himself a bigger contract in 2017 by “downing tools”?

The logic doesn’t make sense.

Unless you are comparing Stengle to a muppet like Stringer (really????) then a sample size of one proves nothing at all.

Yeah tbh if I were to hypothesise I’d say that if anything it’d be the opposite way around. Players would be more likely to have an above average season straight after signing a long term, lucrative contract purely because they’re likely to be in their prime performance years at that stage.

Now there are exceptions to the rule, but the more relevant question is, what evidence do you have that it’ll happen with Stengle? He was out of contract in 2023 and had his worst season with us. Shouldn’t that have been an up year if he only performs in contract years?
As a general rule, good players perform well, average players perform average and crap players perform crap.

Contract status means Jack.

Clubs are very forgiving when talent becomes available on the open market. The new club will offer a deal based off his best form whatever happens in that year.
But wouldn’t he have been able to demand more money if he was actually playing good footy? You know, the thing Essendon were hopefully recruiting him to do? After 2017 he was considered damaged goods.

His 2017 year no doubt cost him money compared to the contract he could have got if he was in career best form.

Wouldn’t he have cost himself a bigger contract in 2017 by “downing tools”?

The logic doesn’t make sense.

Unless you are comparing Stengle to a muppet like Stringer (really????) then a sample size of one proves nothing at all.

He was contracted to the Bulldogs through to 2018 anyway - so 2017 wasn't necessarily going to be a"new contract" year for Stringer

Or maybe Essendon had been in his ear for a bit and 2017 was a bit of self preservation ahead of a move to a new club...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure that happens a bit more than we realise…

No doubt & not sure it would really come as a surprise if it was ever officially confirmed

Surely fans aren’t stupid enough to believe that all teams aren’t talking to players about their future interests

No doubt & not sure it would really come as a surprise if it was ever officially confirmed

Surely fans aren’t stupid enough to believe that all teams aren’t talking to players about their future interests
Are you seriously saying that a player will “run dead” because he has committed to another team whilst under contract?

That would be the biggest scandal the league has ever seen.

The footage of how lazy Darcy has been at Frem since he signed his 7 year deal is pretty damning and a good example of a player getting fat then going downhill...
EFA

It appears he signed a 1 year extension in Feb 2023 (so before the season started).

He never played while being OOC.

He actually had his worst year with us directly after signing what I'd assume would have been his biggest yearly contract.

I do think him being smashed/concussed by Howe in R1 and breaking his wrist mid-year impacted his year more than him having 2023 & 2024 locked away with us.

To my untrained eye... I do notice players getting more out of themselves in OOC years (unless being injured or cooked).

TS is OOC this year and flying... Does his form have anything to do with being OOC?... Personally I doubt it, but we will get some more data next year to compare.

I hope he stays.

Losing very good players in his age bracket is not ideal.

It appears he signed a 1 year extension in Feb 2023 (so before the season started).

He never played while being OOC.

He actually had his worst year with us directly after signing what I'd assume would have been his biggest yearly contract.

I do think him being smashed/concussed by Howe in R1 and breaking his wrist mid-year impacted his year more than him having 2023 & 2024 locked away with us.

To my untrained eye... I do notice players getting more out of themselves in OOC years (unless being injured or cooked).

TS is OOC this year and flying... Does his form have anything to do with being OOC?... Personally I doubt it, but we will get some more data next year to compare.

I hope he stays.

Losing very good players in his age bracket is not ideal.
Would have picked you to be the opposite tbh.

Disappointing as it would be, Stengle's departure gives us an avenue to get Smith while still keeping our first round pick.

Solves your two pet peeves in the midfield and commitment to the draft in one.

Would have picked you to be the opposite tbh.

Disappointing as it would be, Stengle's departure gives us an avenue to get Smith while still keeping our first round pick.

Solves your two pet peeves in the midfield and commitment to the draft i
If we didn't play fools gold footy early in the year and we were looking at bottom 4/6 zone... I'd be ok with Stengle going for band 1 comp.

Band 2 would be a shocking result for us.

I'd love Smith to get to us and find his best form once again.

Last edited:
Other than hearing Stengle may want to be closer to Melbourne (Betts) any word on which teams are offering the big contracts?

Saints and Dons seem to be the ones going hardest at him, and both with money to spend.
Saints could easily offer in the $1M per year range, Dons probably closer to 900k per year range.
People forget that both sides are desperately wanting talent upgrades NOW and will pay to get it.
Dons especially as they think they are in their window to compete.

Blues connection is there with Eddie in his ear but they won't have the money to throw at him, probably closer to 850k-800k reports we've heard.

North and Tigers seem like outsiders but due to large amount of cap space can throw "**** off" level money at him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back