Geelong 2007 vs Collingwood 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Mister Dog

Senior List
Aug 11, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Which was the better side?

They have been the 2 most dominant premiers since Essendon in 2000 so who would you say was the better side?

It's impossible to compare era's even 3 years apart. Lets face it collingwoods game plan superceeded Geelongs, though Geelong was more dominant in 2007than Collingwood of 2010 and that's the only comparisons you can make.

I know collingwood only lost 31/2 games in 2010 to Geelongs 4 in 2007, but I feel geelong was feared more once we got our roll on

Which was the better side?

They have been the 2 most dominant premiers since Essendon in 2000 so who would you say was the better side?

What do you mean dominant? Games lost during the season? I'm assuming you are putting these 2 sides a notch below Brisbane? Good on Collingwood for winning the flag but at the moment they are no better than West Coast, Sydney, Port or Hawthorn. This may change, but at the moment that is where they sit.

Unless this Collingwood side wins 3 flags, then Geelong were better. If they win 2 then they are equal.

For now, I'm basking in the glory of 1 flag. From next year, it is about building a dynasty as Geelong did. We are not there yet, but the youth on the list is encouraging and we are as well placed as ever to dominate.

Still too early to compare. Geelong have the runs on the board still.

It's impossible to compare era's even 3 years apart. Lets face it collingwoods game plan superceeded Geelongs, though Geelong was more dominant in 2007than Collingwood of 2010 and that's the only comparisons you can make.

I know collingwood only lost 31/2 games in 2010 to Geelongs 4 in 2007, but I feel geelong was feared more once we got our roll on

I'm glad you said that you felt they were feared, because no one else did. Most punters thought the cats were going to stuff up once again like they did when they lost 4 grand finals in 7 years.
This is exactly the same as what people felt about Collingwood in 2010 due to their record in Grand Finals from the 60s-80's & '02/'03 losses.

Which season had tougher competetion?

In 2007, teams placed 2,3 & 4 lost 7,7 & 8 games
In 2010, teams placed 2,3, & 4 lost 5,6 & 8 games

In 2007 the reigning premiers went out in Straight Sets
In 2010 the reiging premiers made the prelim

In 2007 the reigning grand finalist went out in the first round of the finals
In 2010 the reigning grand finalist made the GF once again

Pies were the better side in my opinion due to having to do it against tougher competition whilst still maintaining a good win/loss record

A much weaker Collingwood should have defeated Geelong in the PF in 07. The current Collingwood version is about a 10 goal better side than that Collingwood unit.

What do you mean dominant? Games lost during the season? I'm assuming you are putting these 2 sides a notch below Brisbane? Good on Collingwood for winning the flag but at the moment they are no better than West Coast, Sydney, Port or Hawthorn. This may change, but at the moment that is where they sit.

Brisbane just turned up in the finals and got the job done. They didnt have a real dominant season in any of the their flag years.

These 2 seasons were dominant due to their win/loss record where both teams only lost 4 games for the year, therefore they have had the most dominant seasons of the past few years.

I'm simply asking for a comparison between Cats 07 vs Pies 10
Im not comparing Cats 07-09 vs Pies 07-10

These 2 seasons will forever be compared between both clubs in a similar way to Carlton 95 vs Essendon 2000

FWIW - if you feel you can argue a case for Port, West Coast, Sydney or Hawthorn then by all means tell us what you think

Geelong had better players playing a simplistic gameplan
Collingwood has a far better gameplan but less superstars.

I feel that if you pitted the teams against each other though, Geelong would win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A much weaker Collingwood should have defeated Geelong in the PF in 07. The current Collingwood version is about a 10 goal better side than that Collingwood unit.

As were looking at should of's as a arguement a injury affected StKilda should have beaten Collingwood this year.

Geelong 2007 easy.

Collingwood drew the 1st Grand Final this year - need we say more?

Yes, it screams levels of the quality of the top sides of this year. Collingwood and Geelong both had the same frame of mind, they both wanted it, they both had to win, nothing else was good enough. They are equal in mindset, but Geelong had more superstars and would demolish teams, while Collingwood have a magnificent gameplan played out by a team of less talented, but greatly knit players.

They are equal as of the moment, and even if the Pies win 3 in a row, I'll still say they are equal.

As were looking at should of's as a arguement a injury affected StKilda should have beaten Collingwood this year.

On what basis? Collingwood dominated the forward 50's & had more scoring shots. Collingwood's inaccuracy was the only reason the game was close.

As far as spread of quality teams go, season 2007 was the weakest year ever in the AFL era. Apart from Geelong, there were no quality opposition.

On what basis? Collingwood dominated the forward 50's & had more scoring shots. Collingwood's inaccuracy was the only reason the game was close.

As far as spread of quality teams go, season 2007 was the weakest year ever in the AFL era. Apart from Geelong, there were no quality opposition.

Well the basis that the GF1 was a tie. Couldnt have more things in your favour if you had wish list. Pay credit were its due no side dominated that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong 2007 vs Collingwood 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back