Rookie
May 14, 2003
St.Kilda
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
utah jazz
Very interesting article below.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour from the AFL and cowadace from SEN.
I've noticed Simon Marshall isn't on SEN anymore. He was one of the best personalities they had!

I listen to SEN all day but not anymore. Not until they top being a puppet. Leach, ox, harford, robbo and fine are the only decent ones left.. :mad:

The AFL and SEN Were Company. Grant Thomas Made a Crowd.

Former Footy Show producer Ralph Horowitz writes:

For a business whose business is communication, the handling at the start of the week of the axing of former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas, by the newly renamed 24 hour Melbourne sports station, "the People’s Republic of SEN-AFL" was a complete debacle.

For those unfamiliar with the story, here’s how the Herald Sun and The Age covered it -- but the guts of it, is that the radio station claimed that the reason for the axing of its most controversial commentator was purely financial, and no one, bar no one believed it ... or believes it.
The more obvious conclusion was that Thomas regularly criticises the AFL and aspects of the AFL, and the AFL basically has SEN over a barrel with the radio rights up for grabs. It’s not only common knowledge in the industry that the AFL -- mainly through their media manager Patrick Keane who regularly voices his displeasure directly to on and off air staff when he has an issue with something that’s heard -- but they can then expect a follow up conversation from the "SEN-AFL" Programming Manager Mark Johnston.

That conversation from Johnston is hardly an encouraging word stressing the station’s editorial independence.

When the story hit the papers on the Tuesday morning, the station’s General Manager Barry Quick held the "fiscal" line as the reasoning on the SEN-AFL breakfast show, saying that Thomas took it (the axing) in great spirits and that, "we’ll no doubt catch up with each other for a beer soon."

That of course sent the bulldust-o-metre through the roof, as did the post interview reaction of the host -- or if you like the breakfast show’s Minister For Information -- Andrew Maher, who said, "lots of calls about Grant Thomas, but we don’t want to talk about that, there’s much more interesting stuff happening in footy..."

So we’ll tell you a flimsy story and then censor what you can talk about on a talkback show.

Of course, the media -- particularly the AFL media -- love nothing more than talking about themselves, so the above situation was a gentle half-volley outside off-stumps to change sports for a metaphor, with the Herald Sun doyen Mike Sheahan chiming in with, "Freedom of speech gets the boot with Thomas sacking" and The Age’s equally respected columnist Greg Baum, whose column was "Radio Station’s axing of Thomas doesn’t add up".

The AFL through various spokespeople said that they had nothing to do with the dismissal, and no one, bar no one believed it.

It was only a month ago that the breakfast show’s weekly contributor Simon Marshall -- a contributor since the station’s inception in 2004 -- lost his gig. Marshall was speaking about AFL umpires during his segment in what the AFL were considering unflattering terms, and the host of the show received a text messages from the AFL telling him to shut the former champion jockey up.

It was his last segment and this week he lost his racing show, "Hold Ya Horses."

Now any publicity is generally considered to be good publicity, particularly when you’re a niche broadcaster (12th overall in latest Nielsen survey) but surely SEN management had the sense to sniff the wind and change or at least alter their line.

Nope.

So today, the Herald Sun footy writer Mark Robinson, himself a contributor since the station’s inception wrote a feature story, "How I also felt pressure." It’s a courageous and worthy piece of first-hand journalism that reflects as badly on the AFL as it does on SEN.

Another contributor to the station, the multi-award winning Patrick Smith wrote about the sporting media losing two "jocks" in vastly different circumstances (Thomas and Matthew Johns) in his Australian column, but curiously the normally fearless writer held back when it came to SEN-AFL:
Grant Thomas was sacked by Melbourne sports station SEN on Monday afternoon. The former coach's role was to supply feisty opinion and expert comment on football. Station management said his dismissal was for financial reasons, an explanation which the industry and community has taken to be a euphemism for excessive criticism of the AFL.

The end of Thomas has been interpreted by the hysterical as a dagger to the heart of freedom of speech. The Age appears deeply troubled by the issue. But the Thomas case comes in two parts. If the AFL is bullying station management to stop criticism of the league by its on-air staff, then that is a most unhealthy situation. The league would argue privately that it is entitled to look after the image of its product, especially those who seek to make money by broadcasting its fixtures. But heightened sensitivity is just one jibe away from censorship.

If, indeed, Thomas was instructed to temper his criticism by the station management and he chose not to, then it is Thomas who is the nincompoop. If he found the obligations placed on him so onerous that he could not be true to himself, then he should have resigned. To do otherwise, to deliberately flout instructions from his employer is to demand to be sacked.

His last point was the most interesting, and inadvertently underlined the silliness of the management’s public stance.

He’s clearly saying that the station told Thomas to ease up and he ignored them, so why has he let the station management off-the-hook in its limp "financial reasons" public statements? Surely Smith wouldn’t do that.
However its here that SEN management should realize all they had to say was that THEY didn’t like Thomas’s style so THEY made the decision to axe him. Sure "everyone" may have still assumed the AFL was involved, but at least SEN would look like THEY were controlling their own business.
Just finally it should be pointed out that the station "fights the good fight" way out of their weight division. Their parent company Pacific Star has a market capitalisation of $16 million, compared to other AFL radio rights holders, Fairfax Media (3AW) $2,634 million, Austereo (Triple M) $448 million and the government backed ABC.

They also should stop jumping at shadows, as the AFL needs them more than they think. They can’t afford to pay the big money that the AFL is hoping to get for the next round, BUT THE OTHERS CAN, so they are an important pawn in the negotiating rights.

"Racetrack" Ralphy Horowitz is a former Footy Show and Sunday Footy Show producer, and worked at SEN -- pre-AFL rights -- in the station’s first two years (2004-05) in on and off air roles.

If the AFL had any belief in what it was doing it would not bother silencing Thomas.

The thing about Thomas is that he acts to expose Anderson (the man appointed to make Demetriou look good) and Demetriou, as well as others, as the utterly incompetent administrators they are. Remember that it is not hard to run a monopoly and there is little don by the ALF that couldn't be done better.

This is about umpiring so lets keep it about umpiring. Below is an extract from an article a few weeks ago. The complete article can be found here.

But the AFL Umpires' Association said it was being gagged by the league over umpiring criticism.

President David Howlett said fining players and officials only made umpires look precious.

"This whole fining people for talking about umpires is total rubbish," he said.

"It doesn't achieve anything. They are better off letting them have their criticism. The umpires are prevented by their AFL contracts from speaking to the media, and that is wrong, too.

"Let the clubs have their say, then let the umpires have their say back. Don't hang a fine over Mick Malthouse's head.

"Let him talk, and if he complained half a dozen times about umpires, everyone would say, 'Give it up, Mick. You are a whinger'."

Howlett said umpires had been forced to accept being miked up by the AFL, with the league now on-selling that content to the TV networks.

"They don't want to be miked up," Howlett said. "It is OK for Adrian to say they are looking after recruitment, but the AFL is looking after its own commercial interests.

"It is a long bow to say criticism prevents people from taking up umpiring. What prevents them from taking it up is umpires being assaulted, and it happens on suburban grounds every week."

If anyone knows anything about this issue of umpire it would be David Howlett. I have not heard anyone refer to these comments and there have been no further appearances by Howlett as far as I can tell. I wonder if Howlett was also silenced.

The point is that the AFL is WRONG!!!!!!!!!

If they did not suffer from the intellectual small mans syndrome that they did they would take the advice of their own experts (ALF UA is probably not part of the AFL but they are still experts in the field and ultimately on the same side).

What avenues are there to oust these fools? Surely the clubs could get someone in there who has a clue.

GT, can be arrogant w***er, and hes probably been fired before for being an arrogant w***er, it seems he has never learnt that it isn't what you say it's how you say it.

There are lots of ways GT own attitude could have got him fired (and by accounts has done so in the past), may have nothing at all to do with the AFL.

i nearly fell off my seat on tuesday night, when Vlad said when on the couch that he believes in freedom of speech.

+1.

Would make a great politician with that talent of lying with a straight face!

I am not GT's biggest fan, but I am boycotting SEN as of now. Its a disgrace and AFL puppets like Andy Maher make me sick :thumbsdown:

Its being going on for years - so dont single out Andy D

Ask the people who fought the Melbourne-Hawthorn merger - journos would go so far with us but held back when the truth needed to be told remember the "People ranting and raving on the fringes"

Proof is Hawthorn is now a power and will be more so into the future - we led the huge memebership gains all clubs have benefitted from

Anf the waverley v docklands issue (Dicker found a way the league could have both) - I was personally cut off on talkback when I wanted to discuss this (sports tonight)

The stuff we were saying is all coming home to roost bigtime - perhaps thys SHOULD listen to more things they find unpalatable - it might profit them in the long run.

PS I think Andy D is an improvement on his predecessors - apart form the TV rights thing hes done quite well - and even that was due th the 'last bidding rights" sold by his predecessor.

And I also note Jeff Kennnet was up to his eyes in the docklands stadium thing as premier

silence.gif

I have been living in Japan for quite a few years, and it strikes me that the way the AFL appear to want to run things, is very similar to Japanese society.

Various pressures mean that no-one criticizes anything. As a result there is no feeback, back up the tree, and as a further result, things rarely, if ever, change, and things rarely improve.

But of course, those at the top maintain their precious positions. In fact, it's wider than just Japan, it's symptomatic of any dictatorial structure.

Very courageous of Robinson to write that article. And he said last night on SEN that he fully expected to be sacked yesterday. Good one Mark.

It isn't that corageous.

As long as SEN insists that the sacking of GT was finance related the article acts as security for Robinson.

There is no way that they would now sack Robinson unless they admit to the AFL pressure. They would look foolish in the extreme if they claimed finances again. If they admitted to AFL pressure the rights are as good as lost because it would contradict what Demetriou has been saying so Robbo is safe as houses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't that corageous.

As long as SEN insists that the sacking of GT was finance related the article acts as security for Robinson.

There is no way that they would now sack Robinson unless they admit to the AFL pressure. They would look foolish in the extreme if they claimed finances again. If they admitted to AFL pressure the rights are as good as lost because it would contradict what Demetriou has been saying so Robbo is safe as houses.
Then surely it's carte blanche now for anyone who feels that the AFL is onerously pressuring SEN broadcasters to toe the line?

I agree that Robinson won't get sacked because that would be too obvious. I'd like to see a few more people come forward and say the same thing he's saying. You can't sack everyone!

Very courageous of Robinson to write that article. And he said last night on SEN that he fully expected to be sacked yesterday. Good one Mark.

Garbage article written by Robinson. Where is his evidence? A lot of his articles have no substance. Big noting himself to make himself feel important. He had no material to write about the actual game itself and chose to write about his profession. Herald-Sun is the lowest of rags and Age isn't much better with Caroline Wilson's rants about rumours.

We better be careful what we write now people. Good ole Andy.D has now threatened to sue people who dare stand up ad talk out against him.

Apparently he wants a new pool. Just another case of this mob not listening to the actual supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

G.Thomas, SEN and the AFL dctatorship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back