Footy superstitions and omens

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

This just came up in my YouTube feed, which made me think about superstitions and omens - good and bad - in footy. Or general intuitions.

I remember the week before the 2018 gf I was really nervous, kept replaying it in my head, but the morning of the day I woke up surprisingly calm with the conviction we would win. Like when you just know something will work out, you'll get that job, it'll be a good day. Before the game I decided to get Hungry Jack's for lunch cos they are our sponsor (sounds stupid I know) and while eating a random lady tells me 'I hope you win.'

Of course pre game there was the stuff with the banner, but I feel the way the game played out was almost scripted. Collingwood out to a flyer, I started doubting a bit but still kept believing...those agonising points in the last including 2 posters to set up Dom Sheed (people talk about it being a Pies choke, but imo they jumped us and given the no of easy misses and behinds we had you could argue we wouldve been the chokers had we lost), Darling dropping the ball with a minute to go, all added to the drama. The two sides had played in some close gf classics so it was fitting.

And of course all those freakish scorelines in 05-06 with the Eagles and Swans, it really makes you believe there's a puppermaster pulling the strings.

But yeah, JK mentioning kicking to the city end (don't know the stats on that) made wonder about the various vfl/afl/footy superstitions, but also your personal hunches, omens, intuitions etc when your team (or any other) is playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back