Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree with this.

AA is more tainted than the Brownlow.

I think there's genuine merit to making the AA40 because it tends to be a good selection of players who have performed well. Those that 'make' the team always raise eyebrows but the 40 NEVER does.

Stuff the jackets.

Unfortunately I think it has become like this. Those the media adore get them, those they don't have to work twice as hard. Then afterwards, the sheer number is held up like some justification that just cannot be questioned.

It's mattered a lot less the last few seasons.

Don't agree with this.

AA is more tainted than the Brownlow.

I think there's genuine merit to making the AA40 because it tends to be a good selection of players who have performed well. Those that 'make' the team always raise eyebrows but the 40 NEVER does.

Stuff the jackets.
Was absolutely robbed in 2019 and arguably 2015 too

One of Richmond’s greatest ever players.

3 Norm Smith Medals is something very few will match for a long time yet.

Probably should have retired in his 300th, so the fans could say a proper goodbye.
He told everyone that 300 was his last game. Don’t know why he went the extra 2 but regardless, what a career.

Unfortunately I think it has become like this. Those the media adore get them, those they don't have to work twice as hard. Then afterwards, the sheer number is held up like some justification that just cannot be questioned.

It's mattered a lot less the last few seasons.

Very true, and coming from a Geelong supporter no less

Impressed

Do you know him personally?
In fairness to the poster that's just how sports fans are. Not every fan has to "like" the person. Look at someone like Novak Djokovic his hated world wide but not known personaly by those who hate him.
If you never "disliked" a opposing player for whatever reason than you're lying to yourself. That Cat supporter still respected him as a player and a legend at that.

This one hurts as much as Richo... An absolute champion of the game and a future legend of the AFL and the RFC.

A silent, humble champion who let his football do the talking for him and shied away from the fame, media and spotlight that came from being arguably the games greatest ever finals player.

Thank you for the ride, the memories and happiness you brought to this tiger tragic and the hundreds of thousands of members of the Tiger Army.

May you now find peace and balance in your life out of the spotlight, with your family and friends. You deserve it, mate.

I wish you all the best! 🖤

Beautifully said Grock

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very unlikable human, but no doubt a legendary player on the field. Killed us time after time in finals. Congrats on a phenomenonal career.
At this point in time I'll run with the opinion of someone who knows him. Read and weep.

Beautifully said Grock

I genuinely hope.he finds peace, balance and happiness now and that the vultures that are the sports journos leave him alone.

Brilliant player!

One of the best players of the modern era and a Richmond great. He will no doubt end up in the Hall of Fame and wouldn't be surprised to see him receive Legend status one day.

Well done, Dusty!

Champion of the game, hope he gets himself into a good gig that gives him a quiet, comfortable post footy retirement and also keeps the media piss ants away from him.
They'll want to try and force him into the spotlight when that's not his gig.

Always hard to rate players because of the different attributes but I don’t have any hesitation placing him as the greatest I’ve seen due to his 3 Norm Smiths.

I doubt anyone will match that.

Would be interesting (in time of course) to acitslly collate data, stats and awards/achievements and rank players from 2000 onwards:

Ablett Jnr
Martin
Fyfe
Judd
Neale
Dangerfield
Other players like Franklin etc

It would be an interesting debate and discussion. But for now....let's celebrate Dusty.

Champion of the game, hope he gets himself into a good gig that gives him a quiet, comfortable post footy retirement and also keeps the media piss ants away from him.
They'll want to try and force him into the spotlight when that's not his gig.
Doesn’t need a job of any description.
Ralph Carr got him in to a shit load of properties in the inner city.

Can have a 40 year holiday ploughing birds in all corners of the globe without a care in the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back