News Don Pyke appointed next CEO commencing Jan 15

Remove this Banner Ad

The other change I am enjoying is seeing more coaches and staff at pressers and not just throwing simmo to the wolves. Too often over the last few years simmo was thrown into pressers when we could have heard from niz or Shuey or the medicos.

Very happy with Pyke so far.

Is there a better qualified CEO than Pyke?

Understands the game from a player's perspective (Club Champion and dual premiership player at both West Coast and Claremont)
Understands the game from a coach's perspective (Assistant Coach at West Coast and Sydney, both playing in Grand Finals while he was there, Senior Coach at both Claremont and Adelaide (who also played in a Grand Final))
Understands the game from a board perspective (Director at West Coast)
Understands the game from a pleb employee perspective (team runner at West Coast)
Understands how to run a business (millionaire businessman)

So grateful he's back with us :thumbsu:

Is there a better qualified CEO than Pyke?

Understands the game from a player's perspective (Club Champion and dual premiership player at both West Coast and Claremont)
Understands the game from a coach's perspective (Assistant Coach at West Coast and Sydney, both playing in Grand Finals while he was there, Senior Coach at both Claremont and Adelaide (who also played in a Grand Final))
Understands the game from a board perspective (Director at West Coast)
Understands the game from a pleb employee perspective (team runner at West Coast)
Understands how to run a business (millionaire businessman)

So grateful he's back with us :thumbsu:
Understands the importance of building resilience thru pre season camps.

I think it’s probably echoing a bit of what’s been previously said, but I feel like we are really now showing the professionalism again that you would expect from a big club like us, and Pyke has clearly had such an impact on that.

He’s been quite clear in the expectations that he has for the playing group as well as the coaches and support staff and now you so very rarely see the messaging differ from anyone from the top down.

Our media team have included us in the journey as much as they can- the quality of the videos have been top notch. That Harvey Johnston video yesterday was just terrific but I love the fact we are not as insular as we have been - brought the group out into the club to announce it and let everyone be involved in a special moment.

Obviously, not perfect and our results are what they are, in the scheme of the rebuild- but you can just feel the energy that he is bringing as leader is rubbing off on everyone I feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t doubt Pyke has plenty on his plate but for me there seem to be two issues that place us at a disadvantage.
1. That the Beagles seemingly does little for the development of fringe or new players.
2. The incessant travel.

Now there’s a whole thread devoted to the first - with little agreement on a resolution. But compared with the majority of AFL teams that have a team in the reserves competition it places us at a disadvantage. From the outside it looks like a mess. But one that must be resolved.

2. Travel. The AFL can do things to mitigate this. But choose not to.
(No games in Tas; even up the breaks if inequitable travel is involved; more MCG games; recognition of difficulty recruiting nonWA players; possible back to back out of state games; these are a few examples.)
As the AFL seems driven by fear of litigation we need to be making noises about the unequal effect that travel has on their WA employees (players) and how the AFL has done nothing to mitigate this. Pyke is a fresh set of eyes and new AFL boss Dillon has admitted the competition isn’t fair. It might just be time to be muttering about looking at ‘mitigation or litigation’.
Some of these issues affect all nonVic teams (but us more so), so maybe it’s time the nonVic started flexing their muscles for a less Vic-centric game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back