Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Teals probably have electric cars. No fuel. Probably robust solar power systems. No electricity. May not go to pubs for a pint. Have mortgages paid off. All on the back of their liberal lifestyle affording it. I am not buying the whole liberal greens thing. Never will. Just vote for the ****ing greens.

Teals probably have electric cars. No fuel. Probably robust solar power systems. No electricity. May not go to pubs for a pint. Have mortgages paid off. All on the back of their liberal lifestyle affording it. I am not buying the whole liberal greens thing. Never will. Just vote for the ******* greens.

I thought the yes campaign was a very teal campaign. Its fine for the inner metro area but its limited outside that. The campaign seemed very removed from the substance of the issue which is a shame.

Teals probably have electric cars. No fuel. Probably robust solar power systems. No electricity. May not go to pubs for a pint. Have mortgages paid off. All on the back of their liberal lifestyle affording it. I am not buying the whole liberal greens thing. Never will. Just vote for the ******* greens.
The places you are least likely to have dealings with Indigenous people were the most likely to vote Yes. But, but darling I have a lovely piece of Aboriginal Art in our Foyer.

The places you are least likely to have dealings with Indigenous people were the most likely to vote Yes. But, but darling I have a lovely piece of Aboriginal Art in our Foyer.
I don't think that means Aboriginals voted no.

It meant, unfortunately, that there are many people out there to only have negative anti social experiences with Aboriginal people, have developed attitudes critical of indigenous welfare, and sadly, a minority of racism that also results from that.

But no doubt there's strong detached idealism in those places you mention.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

It meant, unfortunately, that there are many people out there to only have negative anti social experiences with Aboriginal people, have developed attitudes critical of indigenous welfare, and sadly, a minority of racism that also results from that.

lol a 'minority'. You know as well as I do that country Australia is absolutely crawling with racists. You can't swing a dead cat in most country towns without hitting someone who, get a few beers into them and comfortable enough to loosen their tongue, will start in with the 'I'm not a racist but' spiel of typical xenophobic bullshit.

There are many parts of this country where distrust and hostility towards Indigenous Australians is imbibed in mother's milk.

lol a 'minority'. You know as well as I do that country Australia is absolutely crawling with racists. You can't swing a dead cat in most country towns without hitting someone who, get a few beers into them and comfortable enough to loosen their tongue, will start in with the 'I'm not a racist but' spiel of typical xenophobic bullshit.

There are many parts of this country where distrust and hostility towards Indigenous Australians is imbibed in mother's milk.
It's really odd that people don't think this country is racist. As a developed nation it's one of the worst. SA and QLD the worst.

Good post and accurate.

The polling places (as opposed to Federal Seats) with the largest majority Indigenous populations are those covered by the AEC Remote Polling Places Units, of which there are 22 (which includes the SA Aboriginal Lands).

All bar one (in the WA Seat of Durack) returned significant majority yes % votes (in purple):

20231015_154329-png.1831710

The seat which recorded the largest % NO vote in SA was the massive seat (in area) of Grey. There are 142 registered polling places in that electorate and only two of them (one in Port Augusta and the other as part of the Remote Mobile Teams mentioned above returned positive returns)

Had a quick look at the referendum results in the Adelaide electorate (51.23% NO /48.71% YES) and the adjacent Hindmarsh electorate to the west (61.77% NO/ 37.23% YES)

Interesting to see that the polling places where there was a positive YES result % included well off suburbs like Unley, Malvern, Prospect and Highgate in the inner south and north; and the suburbs of Keswick, Torrensville, West Croydon, Semaphore and Largs Bay to the west.

Quite a demographic mixture.

As expected, the further outside the middle metro suburbs you get the more difficult it is to find suburbs/polling places with positive YES results.

Albo has completely misread the room. The referendum was not a issue that alot of the general public cared about that much.
What's more important, putting food on the table and keeping the lights on, or voting yes/no on a subject that doesn't affect the majority of the population.

Economic issues will always be more important than social issues

Interesting the inner city votes were yes - i’m stereotyping but thinking mostly elspeth types.

Which then from that account - I wonder if those in remote and regional areas really did make a ‘racist’ vote?

I live in the electorate of Perth - inner city obviously, but does take in a few other surrounding suburbs as well - I had a look at the Polling place results on the AEC site and yep, the further you got from the free transit zone the more booths voted No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. I don't believe that's always true.

What you can't do... Is swing a cat and not hit a person that hadn't been a victim of crime committed by Aboriginal people. Sad but true. Whether personally or through their work, and only crime committed by Aboriginal people. Never white on white, or European, Asian, Indian, etc. Sad but true. Many people have ways to express that, and yes, it might use language that is racist, but I do not, for a second, believe all those people think that Aboriginal people are beneath them and inferior just because of race. What they have is too much experience with negative stereotypes, reinforcement of negative stereotypes, and that causes distrust and hostility in their local area.

We know Aboriginal people are over represented in crime, prison, domestic issues. It's complex. It's too complex for most people, and it's ****ing hard. You gotta be real strong mentally to break those habits of judgement and generalising when you've been a target of it, and sometimes it feels like pissing up the wall. I don't judge anyone that feels jaded by that. I think I can tell a genuine racist, a casual racist (hello number 13), and someone who feels pissed off venting about their misfortune. Those who haven't lived it won't understand.

That's one reason we needed the voice. What can the system to do help, from the people that need it, and the people who need to lead it.

Last edited:
Galatians 3:28
So… you are fine with LGTBQ then? ( I am)

The voice wasn’t about giving our brothers the upper hand somehow, it was about trying to help them, so they had a say.
Perhaps you could read Matthew 25 tonight. Jesus was all about helping those in need.
The government should help people in need. You don't need an exclusive race based advisory body to do that. It is sad that you have lost your religion.

Had a quick look at the referendum results in the Adelaide electorate (51.23% NO /48.71% YES) and the adjacent Hindmarsh electorate to the west (61.77% NO/ 37.23% YES)

Interesting to see that the polling places where there was a positive YES result % included well off suburbs like Unley, Malvern, Prospect and Highgate in the inner south and north; and the suburbs of Keswick, Torrensville, West Croydon, Semaphore and Largs Bay to the west.

Quite a demographic mixture.

As expected, the further outside the middle metro suburbs you get the more difficult it is to find suburbs/polling places with positive YES results.
An even bigger demographic mix voting no.

I'm surprised, I thought Adelaide would go Yes somewhere between 55-60%. Just remember when you go to whinge in public if everyone's nodding and agreeing with you 2/3 are lying.

Tried to guilt trip Aussies into accepting racial discrimination into the constitution by declaring that anyone not supporting the voice is racist, stupid or confused. It didn't work.

It may not have worked but in your case at least, it seems to have been fairly accurate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Back