Do you think

Remove this Banner Ad

My Man Croad

Debutant
Apr 15, 2004
Other Teams
Hawthorn
we will ever see Hodge win a BROWNLOW????

Rather than bringing up a old post thought i would start a fresh.

JUDD is a superstar and Hodge will always just be a player.

WELL DONE HAWKS!!!!!!!!

The judd non-selection is going to burn hawthorn and its supporters right up until he retires.

Hodge may one day become a great player but he might not but he pales in comparison to judd as a bloke and a player.

Judd is everything you would want in a player and a person as he is just and out and out winner, hes the typical franchise player if i have ever seen one.

Judd will win another brownlow for sure and a flag to boot, he has that midas touch that tells you that the best is yet to come.

Surely hawthorn regret the decision big time not to draft him.

Hodge must feel as if he has a lot of work to do to catch up.

Could not agree more.

Lets not forget that Fremantle ultimately had first round pick I would bet that they would be cursing more than us.

My Man Croad said:
we will ever see Hodge win a BROWNLOW????

Does it really matter that much? i though reiwoldt would win the brownlow by a 'country mile' this year and he was a fair way off the leader. It is only an umpires award, a good one, but not something to go over board on, add to that, that Hodge plays a style of game that will see him reported and suspended just about every year. And unless we actually win, and is an umpires pet, he will never win one.

My Man Croad said:
Rather than bringing up a old post thought i would start a fresh.

WELL DONE HAWKS!!!!!!!!

We made our choice, as has being stated countless times, Judd could have already being on the scrap heat by playing for us, with our record of re-habbing players ... although unlikely that to be the case. Personally i am happy with Hodge, no he isn't as good as Judd, and we probably would have picked Judd had we had a crystal ball.

My Man Croad said:

And this is a huge myth, okay i got my head bit off for claiming Reiwoldt was a superstar and told to wait, well guess what maybe you should wait before claiming that as well.

The truth is Judd is only avg 3.7 disposal more a game (although it is increasing every year), in a star studded midfield with help, wereas Hodge play's their how often? he has what support when he is in their? Judd also avg more goals, but again you can put that down to Hodge having played so much down back, lack of help from teammates etc.

When Hawthorn were making their decision they wanted to go after the best midfield that the draft could offer. The 2 blokes after Hodge are ready made mid fielders and both IMO will be better players than Hodge will ever be.
He doesn't have what it takes to be a midfielder and that will be proven over the coming seasons.

Reiwoldt and Judd are both superstars and can change a game and that was proven during the year. Hodge will never have that impact on a game. Lets hope I can be proven wrong but I would seriously DOUBT it.

My Man Croad said:
When Hawthorn were making their decision they wanted to go after the best midfield that the draft could offer. The 2 blokes before Hodge are ready made mid fielders and both IMO will be better players than Hodge will ever be.
He doesn't have what it takes to be a midfielder and that will be proven over the coming seasons.

Reiwoldt and Judd are both superstars and can change a game and that was proven during the year. Hodge will never have that impact on the game. Lets hope I can be proven wrong but I would seriously DOUBT it.

Yeap Judd a superstar midfielder against a non-midfielder like Hodge avg a mear 3.7 disposal more a game, is just that much better! Do you honestly think Judd would have made us that much better?

Do we need to go over this again?? Judd is a superstar and always will be, Hodge is a good footballer who is not even in the same stratasphere as Judd!!.
Grendel its best to Lock this thread its a joke we all know Hawthorn should have taken Judd before Hodge no need to go over it again its depressing.

cheers

tige19 said:
Do we need to go over this again?? Judd is a superstar and always will be, Hodge is a good footballer who is not even in the same stratasphere as Judd!!.
Grendel its best to Lock this thread its a joke we all know Hawthorn should have taken Judd before Hodge no need to go over it again its depressing.

cheers

You claim to be a hawks supporter i don't think i have ever read anything positive from you about the club. Judd is a star, but not a superstar, and no he is not that much better then hodge. Okay Tige tell me how many more wins do you think our beloved club have won with Judd? Tell me what awards you believe Judd would have won with us?

I am entitled to start this thread if you don't like it BUD don't read it and definately don't respond.

Feher You live in fantasy land if you think that Judd is not that much better than Hodge as a footballer that sort of dribble is gagable!!!

As for me restarting this post our board is slow and I am opening this up again for discussion and debate as it is a highly debatable topic that will never go away now as JUDD is a superstar and this was proven Monday night.

My Man Croad said:
Feher You live in fantasy land if you think that Judd is not that much better than Hodge as a footballer that sort of dribble is gagable!!!

Then please tell me this, how many more games do you think Judd would have won for us had we taken him instead? you can do it for 02, 03, 04 which ever years you want, combine them all if you want. I will tell you now i would be shocked if its more then 1 every year. That one would have being good in 02, but Judd wasn't that much better then Hodge in 02.

Stat wise Judd is not that much better considering that he spends that much more time in the midfield. Hodge is much harder at the ball also imo. Both can be devasting with their delievery, their isn't as much difference as some would like us to think.

My Man Croad said:
As for me restarting this post our board is slow and I am opening this up again for discussion and debate as it is a highly debatable topic that will never go away now as JUDD is a superstar and this was proven Monday night.

How was it proven? Carey was a superstar (or was he?) but never won a brownlow, hell Woewodin won a brownlow does that make him a superstar?

Judd got quite a few votes he did not deserve, okay that goes both ways, but the umpires love him. If you think some mickey award justifies calling him a superstar then by all means believe it. Its not a bad reward but it does not always go to the best player for that year.

feher said:
You claim to be a hawks supporter i don't think i have ever read anything positive from you about the club. Judd is a star, but not a superstar, and no he is not that much better then hodge. Okay Tige tell me how many more wins do you think our beloved club have won with Judd? Tell me what awards you believe Judd would have won with us?

Don't worry about it. He talks out of his you-know-what.

I have had enough of this Judd thing. Here are the facts ... FACTS!!!! Judd and Hodge have the same manager. He has said on more than one occasion that when it came to drafting, 10 of the 16 clubs all preferred Hodge to Judd. Of the other 6, only 2 preferred Judd. Hodge was the dream recruit.

So before people start throwing stones at Hawthorn for the wrong choice, think again.

FACT .... At the time of the draft, Hodge was fitter, stronger, tougher than Judd. Hawthorn made the right choice. They weren't to know Hodge was to be dogged by injury for the first 3 years of his career.

All you people who think Judd was the preferred option don't know what you are talking about. The talk of the time was whether the No.1 pick should have been Hodge or Ball. Judd was hardly mentioned. Now suddenly 90% of the footy public all claim they knew Judd was the better choice.

I am so tired of all the B/S that gets sprouted on this forum. People judge in retrospect ... clubs cannot. They have to make the call at the time, not 3 years later on.

Question: How many Number 1 draft picks have won Brownlow Medals? And who the hell cares anyway?

For the record, I think Judd is grossly over-rated anyway, and in time I think I will be proven correct. His greatest, and only real asset is his pace. Once that deserts him, there's not a lot left.

If Judd played for the Hawks in 2004, we would have finished 15th. He plays for West Coast, and in his 3 years they have finished 8th every season. If Judd was as good as everyone says, surely West Coast would be a better side ... but they aren't.

Your response Becker is wonderful I am so hoping you are right!!! But highly unlikely.

I wouldn't mind a grossly over rated player like Judd running around in our side. :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

or maybe we should stop talking all this crap...sure at this stage Judd is futher advanced than Hodge..WHO GIVES A S*IT!!..remember how young these blokes are. I'm sure Hodge will turn out to be more than a handy player.

I would know more about whats going on at Hawthorn than any of you geeks.Whoever in this world thinks that Hodge is even half of Judds rear end need a headcheck, stop dodging reality boys its a sign of depression.

cheers ;)

tige19 said:
I would know more about whats going on at Hawthorn than any of you geeks.

cheers ;)

So Mr Tige do we have any good players on our list? can you at least name one? Can you possibly say anything good about our club? Can you say anything good about Hodge?

BTW what were the bears, lions, demon's, swans, bombers, cats and saints thinking in '91 when they all took players that did alot less then Crawford? i mean how could they be that stupid? :confused: Isn't hindsight such a lovely thing.

Whoever in this world thinks that Hodge is even half of Judds rear end need a headcheck, stop dodging reality boys its a sign of depression.

Yeap Chris "superstar" Judd, in a star studded midfield avg 18.4 disposal a game in his career, whereas as Luke "dud" Hodge, has to work with avg midfielder, the odd time he gets a run their, avg a mare 14.7 disposal, i mean who the hell would want Hodge? Mate if you love the guy so much maybe you should think about supporting the eagles?

ok , enough is enough , here is reality..for those living in a world of "not knowing anything".....

yes judd is a gun..
yes judd won a brownlow..
yes he deserved it...
NO , hawthorn does not regret taking hodge.....
i am sure you will see his improvement in coming years..clarkson has a degree in fittness and sports science, i believe he can turn hodge into a machine..
what happens if judds suspect shoulders were to give way in the next couple of years due to increased tagging etc...and he is unable to play full games or can barely play a full season , on the other hand hodge may play for 10 yrs..would the hawks regret that...plenty of players who look like guns have faded into oblivion , remember brian wilson , he won a brownlow , what did he do afterwards , what has woe woeful done ??? or brad hardie..? all had a great year and then nothing came from them...i think judd is better than them but its just a point i'm trying to make that in football anything can happen...
the hawks have pick 2 and 5 in the draft and should pick up either griffen or deledio, add one of them to crawford,vanders,mitchell and hodge and given the influence of a new coach and fresh ideas i think it looks pretty good for our midfield..if we were to lure ball from the saints to play with his brother things would be even rosier....
the judd v hodge debate is so pathetic....if you were to ask either of those blokes their opinion they would laugh so hard at you....
for those hawks dwelling on the "what if had got judd" , give it up and think of what we can do to get the brown and gold colours back up the top or give up your gurnsey.....

lasher said:
ok , enough is enough , here is reality..for those living in a world of "not knowing anything".....

yes judd is a gun..
yes judd won a brownlow..
yes he deserved it...
NO , hawthorn does not regret taking hodge.....
i am sure you will see his improvement in coming years..clarkson has a degree in fittness and sports science, i believe he can turn hodge into a machine..
what happens if judds suspect shoulders were to give way in the next couple of years due to increased tagging etc...and he is unable to play full games or can barely play a full season , on the other hand hodge may play for 10 yrs..would the hawks regret that...plenty of players who look like guns have faded into oblivion , remember brian wilson , he won a brownlow , what did he do afterwards , what has woe woeful done ??? or brad hardie..? all had a great year and then nothing came from them...i think judd is better than them but its just a point i'm trying to make that in football anything can happen...
the hawks have pick 2 and 5 in the draft and should pick up either griffen or deledio, add one of them to crawford,vanders,mitchell and hodge and given the influence of a new coach and fresh ideas i think it looks pretty good for our midfield..if we were to lure ball from the saints to play with his brother things would be even rosier....
the judd v hodge debate is so pathetic....if you were to ask either of those blokes their opinion they would laugh so hard at you....
for those hawks dwelling on the "what if had got judd" , give it up and think of what we can do to get the brown and gold colours back up the top or give up your gurnsey.....

That was a sensational speach lasher....well said bud!!!

I am one of Hodgey's biggest fans. To compare him with the Juggernaut is ludicrous. They are two very different players. Judd is an outstanding burst player whereas Luke is a more bang and crash type midfielder. IMO he can hurt a side by foot more than Judd can. Don not get me wrong about Judd though. He is a sensation and has atleast another Brownlow to come. Hodge will develope into a great footballer though - maybe not Brownlow material but a great player in his own right.

When will all Hawks fans stop dwelling about the one that got away. It's as pathetic as not supporting Alistair Clarkeson because you are waiting for Leigh Mathews to return to Glenferrie. Neither will ever play or coach the Hawthorn FC.

All the best to Clarko and Hodgey

GO HAWKAS!!!

The last two posts have got it right. Hawthorns in a period of change and should be looking at the future and it's development. Why waste time fussing over the past and what could have been. It won't take much to turn this club around, with a new coach, more discipline, players like Hodge, Mitchell, Brown, Bateman, Ries, Brownetc to further develop, the best tap-ruckman in the league, a bit of luck pre-season (no major injuries) and some good draft picks, it should only go up.

lasher said:
Phew! Thank's lasher. I was wondering when the hell comments were going to come from someone other than those having their heads in the clouds.

Does anybody have a problem with Richie Vandenberg being handed the captaincy next season?
The guy always leads by example and "flew the flag" in rnd 11 when we bashed the living daylights outta the bombers.
His hardness and toughness under Clarko would be a good mix IMO
We have a Junior leadership group at the club which Hodgey and Bateman are a part of. Give the joint Vice captaincy to them. Would be a great example of the self titled "youth policy" next season

No probs here with Ritchie being considered for the captaincy, junior27. As you have said 'leads by example'.

Vanders would be great, Everitt although a great player is too much in the media and can be too controversial at times, and i think Hodge is too young, so Vanders is perfect for the next few years until a player like Hodge develops.
Vanders plays tough and is aggressive, and would be a great leader for what all the other blokes should be doing, except for maybe getting suspended- although all people that know or have played against McPhee couldn't blame him

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back