D.Milburn and S.Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Would like you guys opinion on this:

I think these 2 guys are the barometer of your side. i have long been a Milburn fan(ever since he flattened Silvagni, i have watched him closely and he is just a GUN player). Johnson,once he upped his fitness, is now the GUN he always had the potential to be.

My point though, is that every time i watch Geelong play(especially in big games) these 2 guys seem to set the tone. I reckon last year Geelong settled into that zone of quiet confidence that all great teams have.

In my younger days watching Carlton play in their glory days it was guys like Doull,Buckley,McKay,Johnson who used to set the tone early in games.They gave their teammates early reassurance that , yep nothings different in this game, we're better than them.

For Hawthorn it was guys like Mew,Dipper,Ayres.

To me, i think Milburn and Johnson and you can throw in Chapman as well are really, really important for the psych of their teammates. The kind of players who make good teams great.

I wouldn't call Milburn a barometer, wouldn't that sort of mean he has to have a bad game? I mean if every time he played well the team did we would have won about the last 4 premierships on the trot!

Id say Gardiner, Playfair and Callan have been our best barometers over the past few years.....

While any of them were in the side we couldn't beat time on a drum and as soon as they went back to kicking the dew of the grass for the big boys we were damn near unbeatable...well we were unbeatable considering Henry's quick thinking and quality handpass in Rd 21 last year was all that stood between us holding a 20 game winning streak going into 08.

Remove this Banner Ad

D.Milburn and S.Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back