Cyril Rioli: A question - your thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mervyn Beasley

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 12, 2007
Yarraville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hibs FC, Blackburn Rovers
A bit of a negative for mine last night was the thought that maybe Cyril is getting a bit ahead of himself. Thought he was just a bit 'cute' a few times last night. Took things for granted here and there and was made to look a bit silly. The shot for goal off one step in particular. No problem with opening up the angle like he did, but not off one step. Clarko might not to keep an eye on this sort of stuff.

Re: Cyril

Hes looked a bit jittery in the last few weeks but I dont think its a result of 'getting ahead of himself'

id expect him to respond in coming weeks. hopefully this week! his first half against adelaide in tassie was some of his finest work :thumbsu:

not getting ahead of himself.

The opponents are hitting him from behind (from where i sit at matches behind goal, you do see a lot) and he is getting a little disheartened.

I wouldnt mind the club filming it and showing it to the AFL.

not getting ahead of himself.

The opponents are hitting him from behind (from where i sit at matches behind goal, you do see a lot) and he is getting a little disheartened.

I wouldnt mind the club filming it and showing it to the AFL.
I've no doubt this is going on.
I just though there were a few occasions where he might have just assumed he was going to take possession and/or kick the goal but was being a bit fancy and lost out.

Cyril's confidence when kicking for goal is down, particularly from set shots. I'm confident he'll work his way through it, he's too good not to.

I reckon Cyril is getting a bit tired - maybe needs a break in a week or so
We need his forward pressure wouldn't be resting him imo only had 2 quite games but still could of kicked 3 goals last night don't think he's getting ahead of himself!:thumbsu:

He has had enough of the ball to do damage. I dont think he is tired. and there is a mid season break coming up anyway.
Maybe people havent picked up or seen what I felt I saw.
The shot for goal which hit the post for eg - I thought he was a bit arrogant and not taking enough care.
There were also a couple of one on ones where he was in the box seat but ended up without the ball.
It's not a big criticism just a bit of a concern for mine.

A bit of a negative for mine last night was the thought that maybe Cyril is getting a bit ahead of himself. Thought he was just a bit 'cute' a few times last night. Took things for granted here and there and was made to look a bit silly. The shot for goal off one step in particular. No problem with opening up the angle like he did, but not off one step. Clarko might not to keep an eye on this sort of stuff.

Fair call I reckon.But I reckon you have to play the best players available.With injuries taking affect,who else would come in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's had a quiet couple of weeks, but i'm not sure that highlighting that shot at goal off one step is fair. I think alot of guys would choose the same technique from the same spot. I think Hodgey might have drilled one doing exactly the same thing last night. This technique is widely used across the whole competition.

No worries with Rioli at all, just had a bad day shared by a few others, Birch included. He is getting roughed up behind the play and we need a couple of older heads around to look after him a bit. Unfortunately there's a few missing. His hook shot on goal is a bit like a golfer missing a short, sliding putt, it going to happen. Cyril did have a better second half and in my book is doing fine for a new player.:thumbsu:

Two posters and one very easy miss which he would have kicked 9 times out of 10. Should of ended up with three really but was unlucky. Provides the forward pressure we so desperately need.

Must be in our starting 22.

Cyril is a definite starting 22 player, who will be in our top 5 players within 3 years.

There is no doubt in my mind that he should be an automatic selection, unless he is being rested.

And unlike some others in this thread, I believe he should be rested soon.

Round 14 against the Eagles or Round 16 against St Kilda are ideal opportunities. I would like him to get rest for both those games, with Whitecross, or the returning Guerra his replacement. Obviously it's not going to happen like that, but a rest just before the Cats game in Round 17 would be great both for Rioli and for the club.

Look guys, you have to face the truth here. Cyril obviously still has Essendon close to his heart and had such a bad game against us because he spent the whole game dreaming that he was wearing the red and black and couldn't believe he was playing for such a hated rival. All well, i'm sure he'll come back soon:D:p

I thought he looked like he was a bit over confident last night. He played around with the ball a bit to much I think. But he should play on next week, I think it just wasn't his night.

Get Stokes back when they can, these two work well together and they look for each other on the field. Both are players who need the footy to damage offensively.
My money is on either Tuck or Stokes replacing Willo, that is after Stokes and Tuck gets a few BH games under their belt to get a bit of form back. That is unless Willo changes his game dramatically which I cannot see happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli: A question - your thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back