Craig Stevens: I'll step aside

Remove this Banner Ad

It's disappointing that the media hounded him into making that decision. He earned the spot, which should have been the highlight of his sporting career. Good luck to him with his other events.

Originally posted by Bomber Spirit
It's disappointing that the media hounded him into making that decision. He earned the spot, which should have been the highlight of his sporting career. Good luck to him with his other events.
The 400 was unlikely his highlight. He's a medal shot in the 1500.

At least we've now got our best swimmer in his best event.

Originally posted by Bomber Spirit

The very same media he's managed to make a buck out of because of it. It's an interesting circle.

why does thorpe get the spot? if stevens steps aside then shouldn't it goto the person that finished 2nd in the race? if stevens isn't going and the 2nd place person doesn't get it, what is the point of having qualifications? Here is a hypothetical: what if thorpe didn't slip into the pool but still finished say 2nd or 3rd would their still be this outcry for him to go? i bet their would be and people would still say thorpe should go.

Originally posted by feher
why does thorpe get the spot? if stevens steps aside then shouldn't it goto the person that finished 2nd in the race? if stevens isn't going and the 2nd place person doesn't get it, what is the point of having qualifications? Here is a hypothetical: what if thorpe didn't slip into the pool but still finished say 2nd or 3rd would their still be this outcry for him to go? i bet their would be and people would still say thorpe should go.
thats what makes the system dumb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Thrawn
??

No he didn't.

??

um, yes he did.

He now doesn't have to deal with the massive pressure and
scrutiny that would've come with having to swim the 400 in place of the world champion Thorpe and can now concentrate on his 1500 and relay.

Thorpe's just very lucky it was a swimmer of Stevens' quality that came 2nd in the 400m qualifying. Had it been someone else, who'd qualified in no other event, then they wouldn't have stepped aside.

Originally posted by DIG
He now doesn't have to deal with the massive pressure and
scrutiny that would've come with having to swim the 400 in place of the world champion Thorpe and can now concentrate on his 1500 and relay.

what is the point off have having qualifications if they mean nothing? the next time their is a 400m qualificiation in australaia, no-one better bother turning up other then thorpe and if you do you better not win! this is a disgrace, thorpe does not deserve to goto the olympics to swim the 400; if stevens doesn't want it give it to the 2nd place finisher!

This might be a real stupid comparision but i will do one:

lets say its a qualifying final between brissy (lets say they are fav. to win the flag) and tigers. Its the last qtr, sirens gone, and voss has to kick a goal directly infront to win, voss lines up slips and the ball slips off the side of the boot and misses everthing, the umpires call the end of game and tiges win, a couple of weeks later the tigers (under media and public outcry/pressure) say they don't deserve to win the flag so step aside for the lions to take their spot in the gf is that fair? did brissy deserve to be in the gf?

Originally posted by JUBJUB
He did,but then he sold it.

They may as well scrap the Olympic qualifying and just pick the swimmers they want in each event.

What does it matter how the qualifiers are run? The whole point of them is to pick Australia's strongest team to go to the Olympics.

If it's clear that the strongest team isn't being sent, and not including Thorpe in the 400 is clearly that, then the qualifications system hasn't work.

It's been a circuitous route, but the strongest team is now being sent.

Originally posted by Jim Boy
If it's clear that the strongest team isn't being sent, and not including Thorpe in the 400 is clearly that, then the qualifications system hasn't work.

so what is the soultion, is it to keep re-running these events until the guy that 'deserves' to win does it? or just pick the best team and never bother with qualificiations.

so what is the soultion, is it to keep re-running these events until the guy that 'deserves' to win does it? or just pick the best team and never bother with qualificiations.

If you know who are the best and that they are good enough, then why not just pick them. Even the first solution you proferred has merits. For example in rowing, a number of selection regattas are held, and then the best team is chosen regardless of the actual results.

If you know who are the best and that they are good enough, then why not just pick them. Even the first solution you proferred has merits. For example in rowing, a number of selection regattas are held, and then the best team is chosen regardless of the actual results.

i actually wasn't being serious about my first soultion, it maybe a bit harsh to have only one crack at qualifying but if you are just going to keep re-running the event, then having qualifications is completely point-less, it also means thier is no point in having anyone turn up, even the guy they would choose.

i actually wasn't being serious about my first soultion, it maybe a bit harsh to have only one crack at qualifying but if you are just going to keep re-running the event, then having qualifications is completely point-less, it also means thier is no point in having anyone turn up, even the guy they would choose.

exactly, they might as well not bother!

Oh if only everyone in the team was as good as Thorpe, or even hackett, but they're not. 80% of the team will be marginal as to whether they are good enough. The qualifiers are aimed at these people, not the creme de la creme.

Oh if only everyone in the team was as good as Thorpe, or even hackett, but they're not. 80% of the team will be marginal as to whether they are good enough. The qualifiers are aimed at these people, not the creme de la creme.

well then you may as well just pick the team, what is the point of qualifications then, hell why would thorpe even bother trying to qualify if they are just gonna give it to him anyway? seems pointless to me.

its like at primary school when u do the 'eeny, meeny, miney, mo' to see who goes 'it', and when it comes up on the wrong person its like 'nah, nah, do it again... eeny, meeny...' and so on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Craig Stevens: I'll step aside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back